Hollingshed to WKU as OC

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Good for him. Not sure why we are looking at the likes of Whipple but could not give Hollingshed a chance.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I hope next year we aren't wishing we had kept him and Spurrier. Can't wait to see what happens with WKU and Tulsa offenses

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I hope next year we aren't wishing we had kept him and Spurrier. Can't wait to see what happens with WKU and Tulsa offenses
Exactly.

For one year, I liked the idea of keeping as much of the staff together as possible, especially with all the 6th year players and Will Rogers returning. And nobody would blame him if we sucked, and had to clean house after 2023.

Guess we will see, it's on Arnett. All the folks who were like, "He GeTs To MaKe ThE cAlL!!11", I'm sure they'll disappear if we suck.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Another benefit of staying with the Air Raid is you could potentially hire him back as OC down the road.

Reactions: mo7888

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Exactly.

For one year, I liked the idea of keeping as much of the staff together as possible, especially with all the 6th year players and Will Rogers returning. And nobody would blame him if we sucked, and had to clean house after 2023.

Guess we will see, it's on Arnett. All the folks who were like, "He GeTs To MaKe ThE cAlL!!11", I'm sure they'll disappear if we suck.
Yep. We are destroying a foundation that won 9 games this year and talking about people like Whipple, Bobo, and Chaney.

Now Sawyer is being recruited by TCU..etc.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
Exactly.

"He gets to make the call" is no less true, even if we do indeed suck.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
There is no way you can convince me that Spurrier/Miller working together could not design and modified Air Raid/ Fun n Gun offense that would be explosive if they were given that directive to be installed this spring

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. We are destroying a foundation that won 9 games this year and talking about people like Whipple, Bobo, and Chaney.

Now Sawyer is being recruited by TCU..etc.
Yep, I mean that was the whole point of elevating Arnett.

People are just so obsessed with DuAl ThReAtZ that they don't understand that accurate passing is the most important thing. Anybody can run a QB, in any offense. Folks don't understand football. Johnny Football was running the Air Raid, not pure Air Raid, but very close. He was one of the only true dual threats Sumlin ever had at Houston or aTm.

Reactions: drumrcraig

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
There is no way you can convince me that Spurrier/Miller working together could not design and modified Air Raid/ Fun n Gun offense that would be explosive if they were given that directive to be installed this spring
I would imagine he already has some. Every coach is designing plays thinking "would this work?"

Mason Miller is listed as a 10 on the Air Raid score. Leach and Hal are 12s.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
"He gets to make the call" is no less true, even if we do indeed suck.
True, but the overarching plan was to continue what we were doing with SLIGHT modifications, not wholesale changes. We will see what we ultimately get, but it's not looking like it will be anything resembling the Air Raid.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I would imagine he already has some. Every coach is designing plays thinking "would this work?"

Mason Miller is listed as a 10 on the Air Raid score. Leach and Hal are 12s.
I wish I had an iPhone as a kid. I could've captured all those elaborate plays I drew in the dirt.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yep, I mean that was the whole point of elevating Arnett.

No it wasn’t. If the whole point was to keep the offense, we would have either promoted Spurrier Jr. / Miller / Hollinghead to HC, or hired Graham Harrell or some other Air Raid OC as the HC. We hired Arnett to keep the Leach culture in the program, and keep continuity in the 50% of the roster where continuity was possible.

It never was possible to keep any real continuity on offense after Leach passed. We threw the ball 69% of the time last season. The next closest team was 62%, and there were only about 7 or 8 other teams that even hit 58-59%, some of which weren’t even Air Raid offenses. Change was unavoidable. It sucks, but there was no way around it. We were also tied for 12th in the SEC with Kentucky at 4.7 yards per play last season, with a 3rd year starter at QB. So lets also not act like that change has to be negative.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login