Honest Opinion re Bowl game

EdamCheeseDawg

Jan 4, 2020
What bowl do you think we will end up in? Top 3 predictions
Mine: music city, liberty or Lending Tree bowls

Great locations and we will travel well to these locations.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020

I don't know. A good bet given our history the last few years it will be the least prestigious one that the SEC can even remotely justify.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Texas or Liberty are really the only ones unless the Mayo Bowl or MC Bowl comes back into play.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I am expecting Texas or Liberty versus a Big 12 opponent. Probably one of Iowa State, Kansas State, or Texas Tech.

BogeyGolfer.sixpack

Aug 5, 2011

Most people are saying the Texas Bowl but these decisions change vey quickly sometimes the afternoon of the announcements. I wold prefer the Music City for entertainment purposes. I see a lot of predictions of Texas AM to one of the Florida bowls but they make more sense to me in the Texas Bowl, or even LSU....Based on the selections, an 8-4 teams really has no preference over a 7-5 team, it's where the SEC places you.

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012

Lending Tree is in Mobile between the Sun Belt and MAC. Not even an option. It's the Texas Bowl, and it was always the Texas Bowl win or lose vs Ole Miss.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Texas bowl is Tuesday Jan 4th. That’s a terrible date. More people are willing to travel between the holidays rather than take time off work that first week of January.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Likely so. The Athletic is still saying Music City Bowl versus Purdue though.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I think A&M's loss will end up pushing us to the liberty bowl. And I'm fine with it.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
Texas bowl is Tuesday Jan 4th. That’s a terrible date. More people are willing to travel between the holidays rather than take time off work that first week of January.

Worst day ever.
Kids start school the next damn day.

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012

Agree. Has that bowl always been scheduled that late?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Me as well. There are a lot of Dawgs alum and fans in central Texas from Houston up to Dallas. It surprised me when I first got here.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
It is normally a night game on 12/27, but this year MNF conflicts. Same problem on Monday 1/3/21.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
It would cost me at least three days vacation to go there for that. So for what little it is worth, not happening.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
It would be typical of the SEC to place us in a bowl game that is on a Tuesday night after the holidays, when very few can attend. We will then be inundated with stories about how few tickets we sold to the game. I would prefer any game, including the Birmingham Bowl, to the Texas Bowl. I hate how many MSU fans think what a great favor the SEC would be doing us by sending us to the Texas Bowl.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Payouts - Houston, TX: $6.4M; Nashville, TN: $5.7M; Jacksonville, FL: $5.4M; Charlotte, NC: $4.8M; Memphis, TN: $4.7M; Birmingham, AL: $1.4M.

If you are looking at pure revenue going into the program for facilities and coaching salaries, you are pulling for Houston:

https://www.collegefootballpoll.com/bowl-schedule/2021/

I believe the SEC takes half after deducting travel expenses ($1.5 to $2M in travel & coaches bonus payouts), which means that MSU:
1. Will likely lose money going to Birmingham after paying travel and lodging expenses for team & band (-$100K to -600K). I hope Birmingham is out for us....
2. Will likely make OK money ($1.65M) going to Charlotte or Memphis ($1.65M after $1.5M travel and SEC split).
3. Will make $1.95M going to Gator. A $300,000 gain or 18.2% increase over Charlotte or Memphis (after $1.5M travel & split).
4. Will make $2.1M going to Nashville. A $450,000 gain or 27.3% increase over Charlotte or Memphis (after $1.5M travel & split).
5. Will make $2.45M going to Houston. An $800,000 gain or 48.5% increase over Charlotte or Memphis (after $1.5M travel & split).

Outback in Tampa payout is identical to Texas Bowl in Houston. Citrus is $8.2M, which would net MSU $3.35M, which is almost a million more than Houston.

I noted that the Sugar Bowl does not list a payout - it splits the playoff pool of money, so I wonder what this may be? Does anyone have an estimate?

I got the $1.5M to $2M by googling and comparing the cost of travel & coaches bonuses from Penn State's budget. Since our travel is more local, I suspect it will be on the lower side $1M to $1.5M?

https://www.cnhinews.com/article_18cdddc4-2de3-11ec-8c55-1fe639488a38.html

Last edited:

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Lending Tree is in Mobile between the Sun Belt and MAC. Not even an option. It's the Texas Bowl, and it was always the Texas Bowl win or lose vs Ole Miss.

The Sun Belt has five bowl tie ins and only four bowl eligible teams.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
I don't think the Music City Bowl wants us after we were just there two years ago and then last year's game was cancelled. We are way down the pecking order for Charlotte as well. The Florida bowls are most likely going to take their pick of A&M-Arkansas-Kentucky in some combination.

Since we're 7-5 and shouldn't fall to Birmingham or St. Pete, that leaves Memphis and Houston as the only options with any real mutual interest.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Looks like Memphis would be the best middle ground between money and convenience. I can and will drive to that game and back in a day.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Teams almost never make material dollars off of bowl games. Or even the playoff. They are super expensive especially when the school has to eat a lot tickets.

The important money comes from the playoff/sugar guarantees

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017

Thanks for the link... I guess half was a long time ago, or I imagined it.... Houston will net us $2M, Birmingham is most likely a loss, and all the rest will net us $1.5M.

It's pretty darned complicated:

SEC BOWL REVENUE DISTRIBUTION
(a) B'HAM - For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance of less than $1,500,000,the participating institution shall retain $1,050,000 (Although, I believe the entire amount and possibly more will be consumed in travel budget), plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares with one share to the Conferenceand one share to each member institution.
(b) For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $1,500,000and $3,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,325,000, plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares, with one share tothe Conference and one share to each member institution.
(c) NASHVILLE, JAX, CHARLOTTE, MEMPHIS - For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance between $4,000,000and $5,999,999, the participating institution shall retain $1,525,000, plus a travelallowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee. The remainder shall beremitted to the Commissioner and shall be divided into 15 equal shares, with one shareto the Conference and one share to each member institution.
(d) HOUSTON BOWL -- For bowl games providing receipts which result in a balance of $6,000,000 ormore and all College Football Playoff games, the participating institution shall receive$2,050,000 ($2,050,000 if the SEC team is a participant in the College Football Playoff semi-finals game; an additional $2,150,000 if the SEC team is also a participantin the College Football Playoff championship game, which determines the NationalChampion), plus a travel allowance as determined by the SEC Executive Committee.Institutions participating in a College Football Playoff game may also request additional travel expenses, which may be granted to such institution at the Commissioner’sdiscretion. The remainder shall be remitted to the Commissioner and shall be dividedinto 15 equal shares, with one share to the Conference and one share to each memberinstitution.

AtlantaDawg

Nov 27, 2017
Food for thought: If we play in the Texas Bowl on January 4th, we will be the only game of the day.... Nice national exposure - may be a lot of interest if we play Purdue (who knocked #3 Michigan State AND #2 Iowa out of the BCS Playoff hunt; lost to #4 Ohio State 59-31, #12 Notre Dame 27-13, Minnesota 20-13; and Wisconsin 30-13). We will also be playing AFTER the semifinal playoff games, so the final 2 teams will be set for their game on Monday night, January 8th... All other bowls are one of MANY GAMES that day.... See underlined below:

Tuesday, Dec. 28

Birmingham Bowl
12 p.m. | ESPN
Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Alabama

First Responder Bowl

3:15 p.m. | ESPN
Gerald J. Ford Stadium in Dallas, Texas

Liberty Bowl
6:45 p.m. | ESPN
Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee

Holiday Bowl

8 p.m. | FOX
Petco Park in San Diego, California

Guaranteed Rate Bowl

10:15 p.m. | ESPN
Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona

Wednesday, Dec. 29

Fenway Bowl
11 a.m. | ESPN
Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts

Pinstripe Bowl

2:15 p.m. | ESPN
Yankee Stadium in New York, New York

Cheez-It Bowl
5:45 p.m. | ESPN
Camping World Stadium in Orlando, Florida

Alamo Bowl

9:15 p.m. | ESPN
Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas

Thursday, Dec. 30

Duke's Mayo Bowl
11:30 a.m. | ESPN
Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina

Music City Bowl

3 p.m. | ESPN
Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee

Peach Bowl

7 p.m. | ESPN
Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia

Las Vegas Bowl

10:30 p.m. | ESPN
Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada

Friday, Dec. 31

Orange Bowl (College Football Playoff semifinal)
ESPN
Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida

Cotton Bowl Classic (College Football Playoff semifinal)

ESPN
AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas

Gator Bowl
11 a.m. | ESPN
TIAA Bank Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida

Sun Bowl

12 p.m. | CBS
Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas

Arizona Bowl
2 p.m. | Barstool Sports
Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Arizona

Saturday, Jan. 1

Outback Bowl
12 p.m. | ESPN2
Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida

Citrus Bowl

1 p.m. | ABC

Fiesta Bowl

1 p.m. | ESPN
State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona

Rose Bowl

5 p.m. | ESPN
Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California

Sugar Bowl

8:45 p.m. | ESPN
Caesars Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana

Tuesday, Jan. 4

Texas Bowl
9 p.m. | ESPN
NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas

Monday, Jan. 8

College Football Playoff National Championship Game
8 p.m. | ESPN
Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana

Last edited:

Tall Dawg

Apr 11, 2016
Texas Bowl

Hoping for Texas Bowl so we would be in a dome w/great weather.

QUOTE=AtlantaDawg;1993788]Food for thought: If we play in the Texas Bowl on January 4th, we will be the only game of the day.... Nice national exposure - may be a lot of interest if we play Purdue (who knocked #3 Michigan State AND #2 Iowa out of the BCS Playoff hunt; lost to #4 Ohio State 59-31, #12 Notre Dame 27-13, Minnesota 20-13; and Wisconsin 30-13). We will also be playing AFTER the semifinal playoff games, so the final 2 teams will be set for their game on Monday night, January 8th... All other bowls are one of MANY GAMES that day.... See underlined below:

Tuesday, Dec. 28

Birmingham Bowl
12 p.m. | ESPN
Protective Stadium in Birmingham, Alabama

First Responder Bowl

3:15 p.m. | ESPN
Gerald J. Ford Stadium in Dallas, Texas

Liberty Bowl
6:45 p.m. | ESPN
Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium in Memphis, Tennessee

Holiday Bowl

8 p.m. | FOX
Petco Park in San Diego, California

Guaranteed Rate Bowl

10:15 p.m. | ESPN
Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona

Wednesday, Dec. 29

Fenway Bowl
11 a.m. | ESPN
Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts

Pinstripe Bowl

2:15 p.m. | ESPN
Yankee Stadium in New York, New York

Cheez-It Bowl
5:45 p.m. | ESPN

Alamo Bowl

9:15 p.m. | ESPN
Alamodome in San Antonio, Texas

Thursday, Dec. 30

Duke's Mayo Bowl
11:30 a.m. | ESPN
Bank of America Stadium in Charlotte, North Carolina

Music City Bowl

3 p.m. | ESPN
Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tennessee

Peach Bowl

7 p.m. | ESPN
Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia

Las Vegas Bowl

10:30 p.m. | ESPN
Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada

Friday, Dec. 31

Orange Bowl (College Football Playoff semifinal)
ESPN
Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida

Cotton Bowl Classic (College Football Playoff semifinal)

ESPN
AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas

Gator Bowl
11 a.m. | ESPN
TIAA Bank Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida

Sun Bowl

12 p.m. | CBS
Sun Bowl in El Paso, Texas

Arizona Bowl
2 p.m. | Barstool Sports
Arizona Stadium in Tucson, Arizona

Saturday, Jan. 1

Outback Bowl
12 p.m. | ESPN2
Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida

Citrus Bowl

1 p.m. | ABC

Fiesta Bowl

1 p.m. | ESPN
State Farm Stadium in Glendale, Arizona

Rose Bowl

5 p.m. | ESPN
Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California

Sugar Bowl

8:45 p.m. | ESPN
Caesars Superdome in New Orleans, Louisiana

Tuesday, Jan. 4

Texas Bowl
9 p.m. | ESPN
NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas

Monday, Jan. 8

College Football Playoff National Championship Game
8 p.m. | ESPN
Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana
[/QUOTE]

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t really care where we play. Texas, Liberty, Music City, and the damn Mayonnaise bowl are all basically the same. I just want a win and have something to feel good about going into the offseason.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login