Hoops ball

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
While you have to love the defense, this team has absolutely zero offensive skill. Even Tolu’s touch around the basket is pretty bad.

Jans is probably going to have to implement more full or 3/4 pressure and get this team some more fastbreak opportunities or we won’t sniff .500 in the SEC.

• Haha
Reactions: KentuckyDawg13

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
While you have to love the defense, this team has absolutely zero offensive skill. Even Tolu’s touch around the basket is pretty bad.

Jans is probably going to have to implement more full or 3/4 pressure and get this team some more fastbreak opportunities or we won’t sniff .500 in the SEC.
17 this.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It reminds me a bit of 96 early on. I don't believe we have that kind of talent. I do think they will come around to some degree on the offensive end. This is a good team, the best we have had in years.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
I think our inside game is pretty good. We aren't now, and haven't been, a great 3-point team for a few years. We have a couple of players that can shoot 3 pointers but I like where we are.

It says a lot when I get annoyed by MVSU making a bucket, look at the score and they've just hit 40 with 9 minutes to go.

Tolu needs to work on free throws, we need to be better at 3 point shooting, but we're a good team.

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. It was only MVSU, but the interior passing by the bigs against the zone was pretty damn good. I haven't seen us attack a zone like that in over 10 years. It sure the hell beats Howland's approach of passing the ball around the perimeter until the shot clock runs down to 3 and whoever heaving a desperation shot.

Reactions: #ShowOff

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Thanks for your input, Stevie Wonder
We're 8-0, just won by 30, ranked with already 2 quality wins under out belt with 2 other games where we smoked the schit outta 2 others who were tourney teams last year. I see no game thread but I bounce on this one where you say we ain't sniffin' .500 in the SEC so I just say 17 the BS Moriarty or maybe you just like pissin' in fine whiskey.

Last edited:

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Exceeding .500 in the SEC is not going to be a problem this year. We're playing for big tourney seeding from here on out.

Yeah, I went there...

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
This is a good team, the best we have had in years.
This is the first time we’ve had a legit basketball coach in 10 years, too.

It would be great for the offense to come around, but I think that may be a bridge too far for this season. The fact that we are clearly practicing and being coached (definitely on defense) is a far cry from where we’ve been since the Hawaiian Punch.

If we get our offense at average or above, then it’s all house money after that.

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We're 8-0, just won by 30, ranked with already 2 quality wins under out belt with 2 other games where we smoked the schit outta 2 others who were tourney teams last year. I see no game thread but I bounce on this one where you say we ain't sniffin' .500 in the SEC so I just say 17 the BS Moriarty or maybe you just like pissin' in fine whiskey.
Let’s be honest, the next unqualified praise that anything MSU gets from XBL might be the first.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

It would be great for the offense to come around, but I think that may be a bridge too far for this season. The fact that we are clearly practicing and being coached (definitely on defense) is a far cry from where we’ve been since the Hawaiian Punch.

If we get our offense at average or above, then it’s all house money after that.
Yep. Kinda like a good hitter whose knocking the cover off but hittin' where they are instead of where they ain't. Sooner or later they gonna start droppin'.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016

Howland was legit. He has been to more Final Fours than MSU has.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He used us to pad his retirement income. His shelf life expired before he got to Starkville.
The fact remains he has been to well more Final Fours than we have. He was a very legit coach. Don't underestimate the magnitude of what he had to deal with when he got here. He left us in a MUCH better state than he found us.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yes, but he HAD a roster full of NBA players.

He was also at UCLA which is infinitely easier to recruit than Mississippi State.

His offense was boring at UCLA but he just out talented the competition and it’s what ultimately got him fired.

Howland was a good gamble for State that just never panned out because he couldn’t match his success with the players he had.

• Haha

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
He was also at UCLA which is infinitely easier to recruit than Mississippi State.

His offense was boring at UCLA but he just out talented the competition and it’s what ultimately got him fired.

Howland was a good gamble for State that just never panned out because he couldn’t match his success with the players he had.
Oh hogwash. Sure it's easier to recruit at UCLA. As for him not panning out here.....do you remember how BAD we were when he got here? The magnitude of what he accomplished here is immense. He just started out from so low a point he never could meet the expectations of fans who thought ANY coach could do better than Stansbury. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy we have now. His energy, that he is obviously getting the team to match, is exactly what has been missing. But I am not going to dis Howland. He did a remarkable job here.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Oh hogwash. Sure it's easier to recruit at UCLA. As for him not panning out here.....do you remember how BAD we were when he got here? The magnitude of what he accomplished here is immense. He just started out from so low a point he never could meet the expectations of fans who thought ANY coach could do better than Stansbury. Don't get me wrong, I really like the guy we have now. His energy, that he is obviously getting the team to match, is exactly what has been missing. But I am not going to dis Howland. He did a remarkable job here.

He did start off with pretty much nothing and I will definitely give him credit for where he went after that. He just couldn’t get over the hump and make any noise in the post season.

Reactions: She Mate Me

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I was a Howland supporter and defender for probably longer than I should have been. He had a lot of coaching success when he was younger and did some good things at State, but it was simply time for him to step back.

The fire was no longer there and he wasn't going to get us beyond a periodic run at maybe making the tourney.

That's not enough. You've got to have more hope than that.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Let’s be honest, the next unqualified praise that anything MSU gets from XBL might be the first.
I didn’t say anything negative about the team. I pointed out that they are severely challenged on the offensive side. That’s an obvious fact If you couldn’t see that then you are a blind sunshine pumper.

I was very impressed with Murphy and McNair’s passing. I also saw that a few of them were fumbled out of bounds or point blank shots were wildly thrown at the backboard.

As I pointed out in the original post, if Jans can coach them up and help mask some of the offensive deficiencies then great. I just think it is going to be s major task. There is not a lot of offensive skill on that floor this year unfortunately.

• Haha

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I didn’t say anything negative about the team. I pointed out that they are severely challenged on the offensive side. That’s an obvious fact If you couldn’t see that then you are a blind sunshine pumper.

I was very impressed with Murphy and McNair’s passing. I also saw that a few of them were fumbled out of bounds or point blank shots were wildly thrown at the backboard.

As I pointed out in the original post, if Jans can coach them up and help mask some of the offensive deficiencies then great. I just think it is going to be s major task. There is not a lot of offensive skill on that floor this year unfortunately.
You said that what you've seen thus far, we ain't sniffin .500 in the SEC. Is that positive or negative?

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020

We are 8-0 and 2 of our wins have wins over top 10 teams. The team is pretty damn good.

.500 in SEC play, el oh el.

Reactions: Omnichannel

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I think the offense comes around. The defense will carry us through the SEC schedule. We finish top 6 in the league.
We will get in the tourney as a 11 seed. We win two games and build for the next year.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I was a Howland supporter and defender for probably longer than I should have been. He had a lot of coaching success when he was younger and did some good things at State, but it was simply time for him to step back.

The fire was no longer there and he wasn't going to get us beyond a periodic run at maybe making the tourney.

That's not enough. You've got to have more hope than that.
And to his credit he did step aside. He rescued us from as bad a situation as Richard Williams did. I won't ever dis Howland. I like the guy we have a lot.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Has UCLA been anywhere close to the success they saw under Howland since they canned him? No.
Has UCLA pulled the same level of talent since Howland was canned? No.

If it's as easy to succeed at UCLA as you claim, they would have the same high and sustained success as they had under him.

At some point he should actually get credit for something. It's like the argument is that anyone with a pulse could succeed.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Has UCLA been anywhere close to the success they saw under Howland since they canned him? No.
Has UCLA pulled the same level of talent since Howland was canned? No.

If it's as easy to succeed at UCLA as you claim, they would have the same high and sustained success as they had under him.

At some point he should actually get credit for something. It's like the argument is that anyone with a pulse could succeed.

I'll give him some credit right now.

There's no way we're as good on D as we are right now without some culture carryover from Howland. I think some solid coaching of some of these guys was clearly going on before Jans arrived.

Reactions: PapaDawg

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
I think the offense comes around. The defense will carry us through the SEC schedule. We finish top 6 in the league.
We will get in the tourney as a 11 seed. We win two games and build for the next year.
If we finish top 6 in the conference we’ll be like a 6-8 seed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login