How about Mississippi!

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009

Reactions: aTotal360

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Bump for Good News. Those who have orchestrated this need to be commended publicly IMO. There HAS to be something going on regegarding Parental Involvement improvement too one would think. I've always thought lack of child discipline and proper structure in the home was the leading cause of academic woes.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Bump for Good News. Those who have orchestrated this need to be commended publicly IMO. There HAS to be something going on regegarding Parental Involvement improvement too one would think. I've always thought lack of child discipline and proper structure in the home was the leading cause of academic woes.
Parenting is definitely a big part of it.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Thank you
Thank you for providing a source other than Fox. I could hear the potential exploding heads screaming “FAUX NEWS!!!!” as if the source matters more than the story itself.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I hope this is actual progress but I’m skeptical. One of my sister in laws is a teacher and she says that teachers are no longer allowed to educate students, all they do is coach them to pass all the standardized tests that these scores are based on.
I’m not saying this is good or bad.

But teaching math is done in part by repetition and examples.

If you can learn enough to pass a standardized test, you’ve learned something.

And you can’t really fake reading. You either can or can’t.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
As a conservative I have tons of issues with academics from the bottom all the way to the head of the DOE based on all the utter schit going on now. But my ex is a teacher and taught me things I didn't know about teaching one of which is working after school at home. The other is that "bad teachers" is an exaggerated theme. Don't get me wrong, every profession has bad actors but the crap that lots of teachers have to go thru with what the parents drop off to them is off the charts bad.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I hope this is actual progress but I’m skeptical. One of my sister in laws is a teacher and she says that teachers are no longer allowed to educate students, all they do is coach them to pass all the standardized tests that these scores are based on.
Sadly this is largely about going back to teaching methods that work. Great that we’ve done it. But sad that just using proven concepts that were abandoned makes Mississippi stand out.

ETA: that and our education system isn’t full of corrupt teachers and unions officials so they mostly wanted to be back in school and helping students.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

SyonaraStanz

Mar 5, 2010
This is exactly what I’ve heard from a former teacher who works with me now, as well as my wife who also works in public school systems.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

macpappy

Aug 8, 2010
As an elementary educator, I can tell you this is not true. Are our educators asked to teach differently than you and I were, yes….but to to say we teach a test is totally false. I am just the lowly PE coach but have to go to the rooms to help with certain skills and even incorporate subject like Math into my games to help kids that learn in different ways. When I was in school the teacher lectured and if you didn’t “get it” you failed. We not chart the lower quartile’s progress and try the find what’s missing specifically with those kids. Is it parent involvement, dyslexia, or some other factor? We work tirelessly with those students to pick them up and teach them how to be successful. Those classroom teachers deserve every $ they make and it probably should be doubled. I won’t get on my soapbox but every American with a kid in public education should be required to be an assistant or sub for at least a week to see what actually goes into a successful school. Here in Madison County we educate and it shows!
It’s not just about the super smart kids…it’s about everyone learning to be successful and having confidence they CAN learn. The state test take care of themselves.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
My daughter is going into 4th grade in august. Madison county schools. I’m obviously not in the classroom but it does not seem they teach the test constantly. Math is definitely taught differently than what it was when I was younger but it’s effective.

The best thing that happened to elementary kids in MS was staying in school during Covid. I have co workers that live in other states and have kids the same age as my daughter (who was in kindergarten when Covid started), and they are way behind where she is.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My daughter is going into 4th grade in august. Madison county schools. I’m obviously not in the classroom but it does not seem they teach the test constantly. Math is definitely taught differently than what it was when I was younger but it’s effective.

The best thing that happened to elementary kids in MS was staying in school during Covid. I have co workers that live in other states and have kids the same age as my daughter (who was in kindergarten when Covid started), and they are way behind where she is.
When my two kids were having math in elementary school the way they taught was the dumbest way ever. 2+2 =4. Just teach that. Not all this ******** that most Gen X parents have to reschool themselves to just be able to help their kids with homework. When they send home a book for the parents to understand what they are doing is ********. It is not effective.

I am not coming after you I just disagree about the math part.

Last edited:
Reactions: WilCoDawg

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
When my two kids were having math in elementary school the way they taught was the dumbest way ever. 2+2 =4. Just teach that. Not all this ******** that most Gen X parents have to reschool themselves to just be able to help their kids with homework. When they send home a book for the parents to understand what they are doing is ********. It is not effective.

I completely understand. I hated it at first too. As I saw my daughter progressing in it, I realized she was being taught to do math the way I do math in my head, and I assume most people do.

For example, if you ask my daughter what 18+12, she could answer that really quickly and tell you 30. She would tell you how she did that was 18+10 and then plus 2. And she was taught to do it the same way on paper. Seeing it on paper threw me off big time. But when I talked to her about it, I realized I do the same mental exercise in my head.

I will say I did have to completely re learn long division, which was kinda embarrassing to admit.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I completely understand. I hated it at first too. As I saw my daughter progressing in it, I realized she was being taught to do math the way I do math in my head, and I assume most people do.

For example, if you ask my daughter what 18+12, she could answer that really quickly and tell you 30. She would tell you how she did that was 18+10 and then plus 2. And she was taught to do it the same way on paper. Seeing it on paper threw me off big time. But when I talked to her about it, I realized I do the same mental exercise in my head.

I will say I did have to completely re learn long division, which was kinda embarrassing to admit.
What I did, I taught my kids math the way I learned it but I helped them memorize how to do what the school wanted them to do. Once they got to middle school things were normal for Algebra and the other math's.

Reactions: Anon1678592419

LOTRGOTDAWGFAN

May 23, 2022
this is great news, but this was in national headlines several months back to the tune that states like california, ny, and michigan were begging mississippi to find out what they were doing to get this jump in test scores. i don't care that it's faux news, but i just hate the fact they had corrupt phil billy in an interview somehow taking credit but he won't take credit for the brett favre welfare scandal.

Reactions: FQDawg

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
See, this is all wrong. The answer is obviously 18+2=20 and 20+10=30.

But in all seriousness, it's great to see our state make this kind of progress. I especially appreciate that the approach has been science and research-based. And given that we know now that different kids learn in different ways or might need extra support, intervening with kids who might need extra help early on is also a great approach. I hope we can keep it up.

All three states have trained thousands of teachers in the so-called science of reading, which refers to the most proven, research-backed methods of teaching reading. They've dispatched literacy coaches to help teachers implement that training, especially in low-performing schools.

They also aim to catch problems early. That means screening for signs of reading deficiencies or dyslexia as early as kindergarten, informing parents if a problem is found and giving those kids extra support.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
She’s correct

Reactions: Anon1678592419

Anon1678592419

Mar 11, 2023
This was kind of beginning to happen between 2007-2010 when I was in school, maybe sooner. I definitely remember being coached to pass a standardized test or two in elementary school. I graduated in 2010.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yall are way overthinking this Math issue. Really It's simple, just use Ernest T. Bass "Uh-rith-mu-tick.........."

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
The video could have been a little less political chest beating and more about the programs that have helped the kids.
In all fairness, without the leadership of the Legislature and Governor in 2013, the 3rd Grade Reading Gate would not have been implemented nor the funding for the reading coaches. Nor the pre-K programs across the state. They implemented it and educators and parents ran with it and executed it about as well as we possibly could have. Kudos to all.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Those of you dissing this need to stop. This is unmitigated good news for once out of Mississippi education. We have other states wanting to know what we are doing right in education. That is unprecedented. There are MANY people who made it happen from local schools all the way to the top, but if you want to look at the one person who perhaps was most instrumental in it, look at Jim Barksdale.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
this is great news, but this was in national headlines several months back to the tune that states like california, ny, and michigan were begging mississippi to find out what they were doing to get this jump in test scores. i don't care that it's faux news, but i just hate the fact they had corrupt phil billy in an interview somehow taking credit but he won't take credit for the brett favre welfare scandal.
I mean i don’t really care who takes credit for it, but Phil was governor for a while leading up to this.

And yes I know he was governor during the other debacle too.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

Sounds to me like you don't like the new approach because it required some effort on your end.

And props to the school for sending something home to the parents so that they could get up to speed.

Reactions: ChE1997 and FQDawg

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013

Sounds to me like you don't like the new approach because it required some effort on your end.

And props to the school for sending something home to the parents so that they could get up to speed.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

I was not worried about the effort, but I did have a time issue. Just to confirm my son graduated and my daughter now home schools. This was when they were in elementary, I just asked myself why this way. Just in case you wonder I pay for my daughter to be home schooled.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
What I did, I taught my kids math the way I learned it but I helped them memorize how to do what the school wanted them to do. Once they got to middle school things were normal for Algebra and the other math's.
This is the part that bothers me about “new” math.

you can’t do complex math using “new” math. Not with consistency, efficiency and effectiveness.

I do math in my head like they teach how. But if I have a pencil and paper I do it the arithmetic or “old” way.

Math should always be accurate. You can estimate but you should know it isn’t for accuracy. It’s to give you a general idea.

For example, that opening looks like 10 ft, but I better go measure it exactly and measure the equipment that needs to go through that opening or I may be 17ed.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

you can’t do complex math using “new” math. Not with consistency, efficiency and effectiveness.

I do math in my head like they teach how. But if I have a pencil and paper I do it the arithmetic or “old” way.

Math should always be accurate. You can estimate but you should know it isn’t for accuracy. It’s to give you a general idea.

For example, that opening looks like 10 ft, but I better go measure it exactly and measure the equipment that needs to go through that opening or I may be 17ed.
I just use a calculator!

Reactions: paindonthurt

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
One thing this made me think is that I hope our leadership in the state looks at these results and comes to the realization that it's OK to try new and different approaches to tackle issues. That we don't have to keep doing things the same way we've seemingly always done them. We were at the bottom of the barrel in reading scores, took a new, research-based approach and improved dramatically.

It would be great to apply research and science-based approaches to other areas where we rank at the bottom of the barrel.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I can’t speak to the elementary stuff, but I’m sure it’s similar across the board. Teachers teach to the test. They have to or they will find someone who will get better scores. Not saying it’s necessarily a bad thing. If our state tests are exactly what our students need to learn in Math and English then there is nothing wrong with that. From a US History and Biology side, it’s not necessarily the case though. There are some things in Biology, and in my opinion a lot of things in US History that are not being focused on as much because it’s not as important on the state test.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I can’t speak to the elementary stuff, but I’m sure it’s similar across the board. Teachers teach to the test. They have to or they will find someone who will get better scores. Not saying it’s necessarily a bad thing. If our state tests are exactly what our students need to learn in Math and English then there is nothing wrong with that. From a US History and Biology side, it’s not necessarily the case though. There are some things in Biology, and in my opinion a lot of things in US History that are not being focused on as much because it’s not as important on the state test.
Those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

And you better believe people repeat it daily regardless of overwhelming evidence.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

I'm in texas and I completely disagree.

The way they teach now is much better. We were taught one way to add 55+45=100. My kids were taught to do it 4+ ways (50+5+40+5; 20+20+20+20+5+5; 45+5+50, etc.) and some ways make sense for each kid.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023

Yeah. This is just not true. at all. what the " new math" does it teaches kids there are multiple ways to look at each problem, and they get to choose the way that's best for them. The people that are Really, really good at math. do it like this. they have different ways they use to solve each problem

Reactions: Ghostman

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yeah. This is just not true. at all. what the " new math" does it teaches kids there are multiple ways to look at each problem, and they get to choose the way that's best for them. The people that are Really, really good at math. do it like this. they have different ways they use to solve each problem
I’m willing to bet very few people in this world (140 IQs and above maybe higher) use the 18+12 is 10 plus 20 method when doing advanced math.

Most people doing advanced math/calculus write it all out step by step.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login