How bad is the SWAC?

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
Jackson State getting physically handled by a MEAC team in the Celebration Bowl for the second consecutive year. I scratched my head a little when Deion told the Colorado players to hit the portal because “we’ve got certain positions covered.” No, Prime, I don’t think you do.

Also, just anecdotally, I played high school football and was a very average player. One of our starting linebackers (who was no more talented than me), took offense when our head coach told him that not everyone was D1 material. When he received his scholarship offer to play at Alcorn State, he tried to show up Coach a little, who seemed simultaneously happy for him and also unimpressed. As the years go by, that reaction makes more sense.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
Jackson State getting physically handled by a MEAC team in the Celebration Bowl for the second consecutive year. I scratched my head a little when Deion told the Colorado players to hit the portal because “we’ve got certain positions covered.” No, Prime, I don’t think you do.

Also, just anecdotally, I played high school football and was a very average player. One of our starting linebackers (who was no more talented than me), took offense when our head coach told him that not everyone was D1 material. When he received his scholarship offer to play at Alcorn State, he tried to show up Coach a little, who seemed simultaneously happy for him and also unimpressed. As the years go by, that reaction makes more sense.
I’m not saying you are wrong, but JSU just sent it into overtime with a gritty end of the game drive and TD with time running out. Sanders to Travis Hunter for the tie. It’s a better game than watching Flarda so far.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Coach Prime now 0-2 in the “black national championship game.” Colorado with buyers remorse?

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I watched nearly the whole game. JSU looked pretty decent, but couldn’t handle a running Qb that was playing great. JSU also had a bad turnover. Seems a determined running QB can win games no matter what level of football.

Delmar

Jan 8, 2008

Pretty sure he just meant his sons. Which was a dumb thing to say.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
JSU was basically the equivalent of Ole Miss or us playing in the Sun Belt. They dominated their conference but you notice they wanted no part of the playoffs. Prime is a clown.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Prime is over rated. He won at jsu because he was recruiting power 5 guys. But everyone will be power 5 where he is going. He's such a conceited *** more than Mullen. He wants to point at himself for all the good he is done and how he is sent from God basically. Sounds like a crusader. Using God for his own selfish gains.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The Celebration Bowl I’m sure is a big money maker for the SWAC and MEAC. They had 50,000 people in attendance and a national ABC television audience. They get more money and exposure doing that than losing in the first or second round of the FCS playoffs.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Deion is stepping into a different realm of talent. He may eventually win at Colorado, but the talent gap of what he had at JSU and what he is about to go up against is a chasm.

His speech telling the CU players to transfer and the immediate declaration of his son as the staring QB is Busch Light league nepotism. I highly doubt any other Division I coach would have done the same given the situation.

200K vs 5 mil is a big jump. I don’t blame him for taking the job. But swag will only take you so far when facing schools with the equal or more resources. ie: money

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
I don’t understand why Prime got a pass for this bitchass move.
Well to be fair it wasn’t on Prime. I think the conference has ducked the playoffs ever since McNair and the Corn got beat down.

But with that way he had been talking smack these past 2 years, you gotta play somebody. Obviously Prime is the MEAC’s *****.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Well to be fair it wasn’t on Prime. I think the conference has ducked the playoffs ever since McNair and the Corn got beat down.

But with that way he had been talking smack these past 2 years, you gotta play somebody. Obviously Prime is the MEAC’s *****.
Fair enough. I didn’t realize that had ducked the playoffs for so long.

Reactions: Dawgg

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
The SWAC pulled their champ out of the FCS playoffs after 1997. Florida A&M getting an at large bid last year is the only SWAC participant since JSU in 97. Even when they participated, no SWAC team every won a FCS playoff game. Current SWAC member Florida A&M won the first 1-AA national championship back in the 78, but played in the SIAC conference and it was a 4 team playoff back then.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
Steve McNair and Alcorn were in the playoffs. Played Jim Trussel’s Ohio team.
I also believe Dick Pace or the entire SEC ref crew from the Memphis State game in 2021 did this game. They were horrible….. just as bad as those goofy *** announces. You would have thought all HBCU’s saved the world as we now know it.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They were horrible….. just as bad as those goofy *** announces. You would have thought all HBCU’s saved the world as we now know it.
It's literally called the "Celebration Bowl". Did you not expect them to celebrate HBCU's in front of a national audience?

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Deion is stepping into a different realm of talent. He may eventually win at Colorado, but the talent gap of what he had at JSU and what he is about to go up against is a chasm.

His speech telling the CU players to transfer and the immediate declaration of his son as the staring QB is Busch Light league nepotism. I highly doubt any other Division I coach would have done the same given the situation.

200K vs 5 mil is a big jump. I don’t blame him for taking the job. But swag will only take you so far when facing schools with the equal or more resources. ie: money
Prime makes plenty from endorsements and his previous career. All this is about him staying in the spotlight. To do that you got to move around and change

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Coach Prime now 0-2 in the “black national championship game.” Colorado with buyers remorse?
I’m gonna say Colorado may be a lil sorry for grabbing the shiny hook.

I was pulling for Auburn to pull that trigger.

He is going to have to out talent everyone. And that’s a lot harder at this level. Well… at Colorado at least. I think even the PAC DC’s are going to have him figured out from the start.

Only way this flies is if he gets two outstanding coordinators and they stay. The ole Ed Orgeron play book.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Colorado won 1 game last season. They needed OT to best a 4-8 Cal team for their only win. They were incredibly close to not winning any games this season.

I don't know if the mass transfers into and out of the program will end up being good or not, but let's not pretend like Prime was coming into some talent rich team. They were a joke last season, and that after being a joke in '21 too.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login