How can you extend wifi to a detached shop?

00dog

May 19, 2021
My son and I are trying to figure out how to extend his wifi from his house to his shop without running cable. The metal garage/shop building is about 150' - 175' from his house. His internet provider said that he could run cat 5, but we're trying to avoid that because it would be difficult.

Running cable may be the only reasonable option, but I just wondered if anyone here had any info on that.

Thanks.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think you would lose too much signal if you tried repeaters. But you would still have to post them close enough to each other. That’s a long distance. Probably will just have to be a cable

dawgfan016

Sep 13, 2012
My son and I are trying to figure out how to extend his wifi from his house to his shop without running cable. The metal garage/shop building is about 150' - 175' from his house. His internet provider said that he could run cat 5, but we're trying to avoid that because it would be difficult.

Running cable may be the only reasonable option, but I just wondered if anyone here had any info on that.

Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-Bridge-Li...7344967&sprefix=point+to+point,aps,215&sr=8-8

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
^^^This. Damn near bought something similar on accident when I bought an external cell signal booster.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I've never measured how far it is but I added a TP Link- DECO mesh router system ($110 Amazon) to my house and was amazed how far I can go outside and away from the house now. I know its over 100'. I was able to add wifi cameras around my shop and never was able to get hardly any signal outside the house before that. Shops about 75-100' from house and has shrubs and trees between it and the house but cameras work fine. Going the other direction its got to be 150' that I get at least 2 bars of signal. Worst case your inside wifi will improve drastically like mine did

00dog

May 19, 2021
Getting some good ideas here.

At first glance, the EZ bridge looks like it might have the strongest signal. Have to take a close look at that and at the orbi and deco mesh. Anyone ever use the EZ Bridge?

Thanks

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
If you plan to live there for a good while, running a hardwire would make the most sense and likely save you headache in the end.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007

This worked for me. I put the Orbi AX4200 mesh from Costco on my farm and was able to run cameras around the house and barn with no problem. The barn is about 175' from the main router. I moved one of the satellites into the garage and get signal well past my barn.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
I have almost the exact same issue. My ubiquiti mesh router almost reaches. I’ll try moving a mesh point to the garage and see what happens.

if that doesn’t work I may use the device linked above.

dawgfan016

Sep 13, 2012
At first glance, the EZ bridge looks like it might have the strongest signal. Have to take a close look at that and at the orbi and deco mesh. Anyone ever use the EZ Bridge?

Thanks

I used this to push signal ~250 ft. Easy setup and works great.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
My Google Home mesh system reaches my mailbox about 150 feet away. Buy about 6 of those pucks and go to town.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
Check out weboost.com

They make some great cell boosters. I have the
5000 sqft setup and it works awesome. Several friends have since bought them and installed them at their houses too.

elsid76

Feb 24, 2008
My barn is 200 feet from my house and further from best router location in the house. We ran underground rated CAT 6 with transceivers on each end. Tip. Get lightning arrestors on each end as well. Cheaper than transceivers. Works well.

To clarify, you need both transceivers and lightning protection on both ends. I learned the hard way, after 2 lightning hits. Think of the underground cable as a horizontal lightning rod.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I got the weBoost home studio. It worked great for about 3 weeks and then became completely unnecessary as a new tower was cut on in town. After that my neighbor cleared out about 30 trees that opened up my signal to another tower. So I have all kinds of signal now. Best Buy had no problem taking it back once I explained the situation and I mounted my weather station to the pole. So the effort wasn't a complete waste.

My house is small and the booster sat on a desk in one room. Once you get 20-25' away it's completely useless. So for a bigger space/house you need one antenna, but multiple boosters in the rooms. You really start losing signal quality after you leave the room or get more than 12' away.

But for our purposes, it provided great backup internet. Mrs Socks ran MS Teams calls all day for a week with the weBoost and it wouldn't have been possible without it.

Here are a couple of threads from a few months back about this.

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?228716-OT-Home-Cell-Signal-Booster

https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/showthread.php?228847-OT-Cell-Phone-Booster-Update&highlight=Cell+booster

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login