How did Stoops do it? Can Beamer reverse it?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Our first 22 years in the league, we went 16-6 against UK. For a 14-year stretch, we went 13-1. It was to the point that UK was mostly a football afterthought along with Vandy. We just assumed a UK win to start the season. It was pretty much a non-competitive series.

Stoops was hired at UK and has pretty much flipped the script, going 7-4 against us in his 11 seasons. He hasn't blown up recruiting, I'd say mostly recruiting comparably to us.

Beamer, to his credit, has slowed the bleeding the last 2 years by getting back-to-back wins in the series for the first time in a decade. Getting back on top of UK is a marginal achievement, at best, but a necessary one if we have any aspirations of being anything more than an afterthought in the league.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Stoops has proven his coaching ability over the years, including when he was Defensive Coordinator at Florida State. It's "coaching" ability; nothing more nor less. Look at our history. The Head Coaches who had reasonable success (Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier) were decent recruiters. Where they excelled was in getting the most out of the talent on hand. Dan Mullens was a lot like that. They were not reputed strong recruiters like a Brad Scott and Will Muschamp. I don't believe anyone knows whether Beamer has that kind of ability. The 2 games against UT and Clemson in 2022 are light in evidence.

Last edited:

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Stoops has proven his coaching ability over the years, including when he was Defensive Coordinator at Florida State. It's "coaching" ability; nothing more nor less. Look at our history. The Head Coaches who had reasonable success (Carlen, Morrison, Holtz and Spurrier) were decent recruiters. Where they excelled was in getting the most out of the talent on hand. Dan Mullens was a lot like that. They were not reputed strong recruiters like a Brad Scott and Will Muschamp. I don't believe anyone knows whether Beamer has that kind of ability. The 2 games against UT and Clemson in 2022 are light in evidence.

Stoops has the sweetest gig in all of the SEC, maybe college football. He makes nearly $9 million/year to coach football at a place that doesn't truly care about it. Sure, they want to be good at football, but basketball will always be #1 there by a long shot. As long as he makes a bowl game most year, they are tickled pink. No pressure to make it to the SECCG (for however much longer that lasts) or the CFP or any such thing.

Beamer's going to have to show he can identify and hire good assistants. That's one aspect where Dabo, hate him or love him, distinguished himself. Beamer has to get in good assistants who can get the most out of the talent.

I fear, though, a 3* roster is most likely going to produce 3* results.

I don't know if it's possible, but we need to get Kentucky back into the "reliable win" column. It would be something if we could beat them 3 years in a row. Now that we are getting whipped by Mizzou, we need this UK game to be a W most years.

Reactions: gamecock stock

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Stoops has the sweetest gig in all of the SEC, maybe college football. He makes nearly $9 million/year to coach football at a place that doesn't truly care about it. Sure, they want to be good at football, but basketball will always be #1 there by a long shot. As long as he makes a bowl game most year, they are tickled pink. No pressure to make it to the SECCG (for however much longer that lasts) or the CFP or any such thing.

Beamer's going to have to show he can identify and hire good assistants. That's one aspect where Dabo, hate him or love him, distinguished himself. Beamer has to get in good assistants who can get the most out of the talent.

I fear, though, a 3* roster is most likely going to produce 3* results.

I don't know if it's possible, but we need to get Kentucky back into the "reliable win" column. It would be something if we could beat them 3 years in a row. Now that we are getting whipped by Mizzou, we need this UK game to be a W most years.
Totally agree with every word there.

If we lose to Kentucky, can we steal one from LSU at home the next week? If not, we may have to wait until we have an extra week to prepare for Texas A&M. I don't mean to be down on Beamer but, talking about hiring good assistants, I still don't understand the Loggains hire, after the Satterfield results.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I still don't understand the Loggains hire, after the Satterfield results.

Beamer said his phone blew up with hundreds of coaches expressing interest in the position. Considering the absolute urgency of nailing the OC hiring, Loggains was a risky move. I think there were some other potential candidates we could have looked at.

Reactions: gamecock stock

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
The teams with better players typically win most of the time. I personally believe coaching is a small part of the outcome.
I disagree. Both are important. But better players tend to want to play for better coaches. Dabo is the exception, but as has been acknowledged he was smart enough to hire great assistants. Beamer has yet to prove to me he can actually coach. Thus far, he's been nothing but a highly paid cheerleader. We're no better than when he first started 4 years ago. Arguably we're worse as the conference has gotten stronger with the addition Texas and OU

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The teams with better players typically win most of the time. I personally believe coaching is a small part of the outcome.
A&M under Jimbo largely refutes this viewpoint.

It's always a mix of player talent and coaching. No coach wins big without great players, but a collection of great players does not equate to winning big. Look at UK in basketball under Calipari.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
A&M under Jimbo largely refutes this viewpoint.

It's always a mix of player talent and coaching. No coach wins big without great players, but a collection of great players does not equate to winning big. Look at UK in basketball under Calipari.
Four and five stars beat two and three stars with Saban as their coach 99% of the time.

DeBoer31

Joined Jun 19, 2015
Jan 28, 2022
WTH is all this Saban talk? Literal GOAT of college football and one of the GOATS in any level of coaching ever has nothing to do with our present coaching staff.

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
I disagree. Both are important. But better players tend to want to play for better coaches. Dabo is the exception, but as has been acknowledged he was smart enough to hire great assistants. Beamer has yet to prove to me he can actually coach. Thus far, he's been nothing but a highly paid cheerleader. We're no better than when he first started 4 years ago. Arguably we're worse as the conference has gotten stronger with the addition Texas and OU
Saban took coaches that other schools fired for lack of wins. They come to Bama with 4 and 5 stars and win Championships

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
Our first 22 years in the league, we went 16-6 against UK. For a 14-year stretch, we went 13-1. It was to the point that UK was mostly a football afterthought along with Vandy. We just assumed a UK win to start the season. It was pretty much a non-competitive series.

Stoops was hired at UK and has pretty much flipped the script, going 7-4 against us in his 11 seasons. He hasn't blown up recruiting, I'd say mostly recruiting comparably to us.

Beamer, to his credit, has slowed the bleeding the last 2 years by getting back-to-back wins in the series for the first time in a decade. Getting back on top of UK is a marginal achievement, at best, but a necessary one if we have any aspirations of being anything more than an afterthought in the league.
He has a 73-65 record for a .529 winning percentage. Yeah sign me up for some of that.
He is 1-18 vs top 10 opponents. A whopping 35-55 in theSEC. It’s amazing how the hype doesn’t fit the narrative for Stoops. But in typical 18 fashion, well, we know the con.

Last edited:

gamecox4982

Jan 21, 2022
There’s a reason the NFL has salary cap for teams… The league must have a competitive balance or it will fail