How long can bowls go on with half crowds

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I'm sure I'm not alone in this - but I'm at the point where the only bowls I will watch either involve my favorite team, or are playoff bowls that mean something. Gone are the days where I want to see X play Y in the Orange Bowl or Fiesta Bowl or Peach Bowl just because it's a "good bowl". Ole Miss vs. Penn State - meaningless game to anyone that's not a Rebel or Lion. Georgia vs. FSU, snooze fest. If the players can't be bothered to show up and play in it, I can't be bothered to turn it on.

Bah humbug I guess.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Next year is a leap year, so New Year's Day will be on Wednesday. Christmas Day will be the Wednesday before. No Bowl should be played before Friday December 20. Most should play on 12/27, 12/28, 12/30, 12/31, 1/1, 1/2, 1/3 and 1/4. No reason for any business other than retail and real estate to work Jan. 2 and 3, 2025.
I wish this was the case. As an accountant, I can almost guarantee I'll be working the 2nd and the 3rd lol

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'm sure I'm not alone in this - but I'm at the point where the only bowls I will watch either involve my favorite team, or are playoff bowls that mean something. Gone are the days where I want to see X play Y in the Orange Bowl or Fiesta Bowl or Peach Bowl just because it's a "good bowl". Ole Miss vs. Penn State - meaningless game to anyone that's not a Rebel or Lion. Georgia vs. FSU, snooze fest. If the players can't be bothered to show up and play in it, I can't be bothered to turn it on.

Bah humbug I guess.
Yep, this falls into the 'lazy eyeball' bucket, that I consider the new XFL/USFL merger. They just don't matter, but they may capture some eyeballs. As long as they make a profit, I'm sure they'll keep doing them. I wonder how long that is possible. None of those football leagues have survived, so I figure the non-playoff bowls are on borrowed time.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Well being that Memphis was playing in it I would think the attendance would be good.
It wasn't very good. The Memphis side was maybe 60% full. The home side (where Iowa State fans sat) was significantly less. It was a very disappointing turnout for Liberty Bowl folks who chose Memphis to salvage things after the SEC didn't have enough bowl tie ins. I'm sure the weather contributed.

If we had gotten lucky from an APR perspective, we would have been there and Memphis would have gone somewhere like Detroit.

Del B Vista

Dec 9, 2010
The only thing the attendance impacts is the schools, which are required to pay for 20,000 tickets or so to sell to their fans. If they don't sell them, it's just lost revenue off the bowl payout.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login