How many "divided house" do we have here?

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Divided as in State and Ole Miss. Spouses. Immediate family.

In light of Kiffins comments, the latest T&L... I was curious.

1. how do you deal with watching the Battle of the Golden Egg game? Same room or sit together at game? Do you Have to be total different places?

2. how do you navigate the season? Does he/she go to games in Starkville? Do you return the favor and go to Oxford games? Go your separate ways?

dawgdr

Feb 27, 2008
She tries and goes with me to our games. Have taken her to see them at Bama and Bama let me down. Egg Bowl tuff. Last one we went to was ankle break game so needless to say not a good one to be at. Prolly watch without her.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
1. I will watch it with my Ole Miss in-laws

2. We go to Starkville. I've told her I will go to a game as long as it doesn't interfere with a State game I want to attend. I haven't been to an Ole Miss game since 2008. My daughter and son are true maroon. My wife hasn't been to Oxford since 2008 (actually went to Oxford twice that year - Egg Bowl and OM vs South Carolina). She went to Ole Miss her freshman year but transferred to Mississippi College. Her mom and dad, aunts, uncles, sister and her husband all went to Ole Miss.

Last edited:

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Here. She's true red and blue.

1. We watch the game in separate rooms unless one of us goes. We've never been to an Egg Bowl together.

2. We met in our early 30's. When we met we both had season tickets to our respective schools. Now neither of us do, and we go to a couple of games a year at each.

It's civil enough. Our kids are now starting to pick sides, and that might be more difficult.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
This is my 3rd year in a divided house. 2019 we had thanksgiving and all that at the game. Sat together. Last year it was all anti-climatic because of the season. We watched together. This year, we have already agreed to watch in separate locations.

ive been to a few games up there. When there isn't a directly conflict with our game. I watched the auburn game at a tailgate and their student union. She was at the Bama and UK game this year.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
There's no love great enough that would've made me walk down that aisle.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Not married but my girlfriend not only went there but was a tenured professor.

1. This will be the first egg bowl with us both at the game.

2. Football: We go to each other's games when our team is off or away. Basketball: I go to their games and she comes to ours when they play here. That's the only time I go to ours too. I'm a 100% bandwagon basketball fan. Baseball: She comes to more of ours than she does theirs. I'll go to 2 or 3 of theirs per season if we're on the road that weekend.

For football I'm in the Scoreboard Club and for baseball I'm in the LFL. She has club level for their men's and women's basketball. So, those are the main sports we hit.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Heck, Im married to one AND live in Oxford

Divided as in State and Ole Miss. Spouses. Immediate family.

In light of Kiffins comments, the latest T&L... I was curious.

1. how do you deal with watching the Battle of the Golden Egg game? Same room or sit together at game? Do you Have to be total different places?

2. how do you navigate the season? Does he/she go to games in Starkville? Do you return the favor and go to Oxford games? Go your separate ways?

It is a delicate balance.....my 14yo daughter has made it clear she will attend UM (and im fine with that).....my 11yo son has maroon in his blood because me...my wife has season tickets to UM football and baseball and takes both kids.....i take them all to MSU baseball games and they all enjoy....only UM game ive been to in Oxford was 55-20 and it was glorious!!!

we manage and its actually a good teaching tool for our kids for being respectful of others......

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My Father in Law graduated from USM. My brother graduated from the W. My wife's two brothers graduated from BYU. I have cuisines who are Ole Miss fans. My wife and kids are die hard State. That's about it. Oh yeah I hate BYU the football team as much as I do Ole Miss.

You have two type of BYU grads. Those who went to Provo and those who went to Rexburg Idaho. The Provo Grad look down on the BYU Idaho Grads. My brother in laws went to Provo. There is a third type but they went to Hawaii.

Last edited:

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
There's no love great enough that would've made me walk down that aisle.

As a younger man, I'd agreed with you. As a matter of fact, funny story, I ****blocked myself after the 1991 game. My buddy dated a OM girl. She came down for the game and brought sorority sisters. Let's just say, I was a little to enthusiastic about our win that day to earn a date later that night.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Bama here, which is the worst in the known world. You Ole Miss folks don't know how good you got it. Good thing my wife doesn't really GAF, but the family is horrific.

And no, I don't go to Bama games because 17 that.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
You're a good man, DS. But I imagine you won't hold anything back.

my girl holds degrees from OM. Her entire family is OM. So she is big time invested as am I. She'll watch with her family. I'll watch with my Bulldog family.

baseballnerd

Feb 6, 2011
Married into ole miss family

And one of my daughters was in the Maroon band and the other was in the Ole Miss band.

We usually were in seperate rooms but since the return to Thanksgiving I'm usually at the Rebel in-laws which can be a huge payoff when we win.

We used to go to both campuses when our daughters were over there. To be honest, she's been to Starkville more than I've been to Oxford when it comes to football.

On a side note, my father-in-law's other daughter married an LSU guy, so he got it from both sides.

In general, from my almost 30 yrs in and around ole miss family, all that stuff you think they think about us is true. GTHOM

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
We got some shenanigans already planned. National Championship flag will be hanging at the entrance way when they come over.

And me and my son are coming out to this song before the game starts when he puts on his MSU jersey. This is the song that is on the 2016 Egg Bowl highlight video.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Here too. We’ve been together for 14 years and married for over 10. Her sisters are and parents were OM fans. Wife is only OM alumni out of her immediate family.

We definitely don’t watch in same room, and sometimes not in same house or county. I usually go to deer camp and have my rejoicing or pissed off time. I got a little carried away with the Piss and Miss after the 2019 game, but what State fan didn’t take that too far?

She hasn’t been to a OM game since I’ve known her. She’s bought me State stuff and even season tickets for Christmas for Dak’s senior year.

8 year old son pulls for both and was with me in Omaha for the finals. He’s a mommas boy though and tends to side with her more times than me. He knows it really irritates me, too.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Wife graduated from ole miss. We tailgate in Oxford with her family once or twice a year. And go to occasional game in Starkville. She’s not a passionate fan, so it doesn’t get too heated.
I always wear my state hat to Oxford, and I always get a few hail states. Got fist bumped by the concession stand guy this year.

We have a video of our daughter when she was about 3, ringing a cowbell while doing the hotty toddy chant. And have had several custom made house divided shirts made for the kids.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
She's UM, both kids are at state now. We don't go to games anymore. She went to SBW a time or 2 when the oldest was small. After that I carried them to games until the oldest started playing sports.

Watch some in same room, some seperate. I think she pulled a little for women's hoops the last couple of seasons under Vic and I know she pulled for baseball the last couple seasons (was the kid's sport).

As for the EB, prob seperate rooms.

Ddawg69

Dec 27, 2019
Wife went to Ole Miss from out of state. We "watch" together. She wears an Ole Miss shirt and browses Amazon prime on her phone the entire game. Gives 0 ***** but every once in a while looks up and says "Oh cool we scored, hotty toddy" then back to Amazon prime.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Divided here. Luckily my wife doesnt care that much about the actual game. She just likes being at the events

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
I have no idea how people do this. I dislike people that are fans of other teams, and to have sex or marry one, that would require some serious pound town hate 17n.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
My wife and in-laws all went to UM. She now cheers for the dogs and we have 2 kids that are both at State. I'm severely disappointed with all of you. You're obviously not doing something right.

chad2521

Mar 3, 2008
My first year…

This is my first year to experience it. My daughter is a freshman at ole miss, it’s been a hard transition because before I absolutely hated the rebels with every part of my being. Now, I don’t hate them as bad but I’ll never pull for them in a egg bowl. When she leaves I’ll go back to hating them just as bad.

fishwater99

Jun 4, 2007
This is the correct answer! Just because an Ole Miss girl is easy doesn't mean you actually marry her.

For us older guys, Ole Miss had a much greater selection of Hot girls. The playing field is more even now, but I still give Ole Miss the edge.
I married a Rebel from a Rebel family, my older brother and I both went to undergrad at State. I then attended TSUN for law school.

It's as big as an issue now that we live in CO, since we are not in the element so to speak.
We will watch the game together, she has two of her Ole Miss girlfriends and their husbands coming over. One of the husbands is a MSU fan and one from Ohio.
Also her cousin who is a Mustard Buzzard, usually pulls for us will be there. Also, another family from Colorado, CSU fans.
My daughters are split, one for MSU and one for Ole Miss. Should be a fun time, just win Dawgs!

It was a whole different story when we were in MS. I had MSU season tickets, and also went to several EGG Bowls in Oxford(Never again).
She and I get along fine most times, but her Rebel brother, mom and dad not so much.
They are the Typical Rebels, they can't stand for MSU to win in any sport, no matter who we play. 17 them..

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
My wife is from Oxford (but an MSU grad) and all of her family are Ole Miss people.

1. We're usually both pretty bad, so usually stays good natured. 2014 didn't go well for me.

2. In general complimentary of each others teams when they do well, commiserate the losses. I've been to some games with the family, they used to be big in the grove but not so much in the last decade or so, thankfully. They've been with us to a few games in Starkville as well.

$altyDawg

Aug 30, 2018
My wife didn't graduate from Ole Miss, but she did play in the Ole Miss band. (Later graduated from Delta State)

1) We watch it together because she isn't all up into it like I am.
2) She and I have travelled to all 14 SEC stadiums, the vast majority of those being State games. We did go see Ole Miss at LSU and Arkansas because of how the schedule fell to make sure we could get a stadium in that year. Oh, and in 2012 when we had to go to Vaught Hemmingway to check that stadium off the list, I didn't gloat (not externally, anyway) after Vandy came from behind to win.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There is division in my family. I met my wife while she was at The W. She transferred to State back then. She got her degree from UM later. However, she doesn't really care about sports deeply so we only go to State games. Her family where we go on Turkey day has both State and TSUN fans and we watch the game together. No one has been stabbed or shot yet.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
My wife graduated from The W. When we are losing, I often tell her we need some of those linebackers I saw at her homecoming.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
We're doing Thanksgiving in Louisiana this year at my USM grad nephew's house. Me and one other brother are State folks, other two brothers ole miss, sister was a Milsaps grad. Probably be an LSU and Tulane person or two there also. We diverse. As far as the Egg Bowl goes we usually split up and watch in separate places. The last time we did Thanksgiving down here old Bo got Wallaced by Nikoe. I'll take a repeat of that one. Just happened to see the other day that Bo Wallace is QB coach at Holmes CC.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
married one, yes. converted her. somewhat
we don't go to Oxford unless State is playing OM there.
kids are true maron

fedxdog

Dec 7, 2008
Married an Oxford girl 49 years ago. We had a daughter go to State and my wife really appreciates the atmosphere at State. Loved tailgating and games for 23 years but we dropped football to travel to see daughters in the fall. My folks moved to Oxford my senior year and they had met there in college and I did one semester of summer school there. Wife still works with her sorority there. BOTTOM LINE: To be fair, too many of us Mississippians show our *** and act stupid. Not as bad up here in Memphis area but my UM friends in Jackson can be ********. I just say "Your Mom must be so proud!"

fang

Nov 29, 2010
Bammer just because the whole family was, she graduated from Faulkner but fully recognizes the idiocy. It doesn't hurt her when they (rarely) lose and i think she enjoys seeing me silly-giddy when it does happen. Usually watch at some family homers house that doesn't care but, like the wife, I think they like watching me watch the game. When Bean kicked the ball to Clinton, i went straight up -breaking a ceiling tile (drop ceiling) and my watch.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
My wife attended Mississippi College, but her family has rooted for Ole Miss for at least a couple of generations, and her brother went to school there.

1. We attended together in 2005-2009, and the had kids and she stayed home except for 2016 in Oxford, when we took our kids and saw her family in the Grove. We peacefully coexist for the most part, but following the 2005 and 2007 games in Starkville, she looked at me and said "I'll see you at the car", and departed.

2. She was a lot more diehard before, but the Orgeron era did a number on her fanhood, and it's never rebounded fully. Of course I went to every game for the first eight years of our relationship and still go to most, but it's just who we are. We are both able to be happy for the other that THEIR TEAM won or lost, while keeping separate our own feelings about THAT TEAM having won or lost. If Ole Miss wins any random game, I'm happy for her regardless of how I might personally feel about the outcome. Same if they lose. I might personally enjoy it, but I know losing sucks and I'm not going to rub that in.

Now if she influences our children to attend that university, I have made it clear to both that I will attend their games whenever I can but they are to NEVER purchase me Ole Miss logoed apparel because I will not wear it, nor will wear anything but jeans or shorts in the Grove (which really stems from the time I lost my keys in the Grove falling out of loose fitting khakis while sitting in a tailgate chair. Never again.)

TimberBeast

Aug 23, 2012
I went to State, wife went to ole miss but she’s fully converted so not weird for us. Pretty much every person in my family and hers went to State or ole miss so sometimes getting together to watch the egg bowl can get pretty awkward. There’s definitely been tension before.

was21

May 29, 2007
Wife graduated from the "W" and I graduated from State. I've always felt that she is devious and is a closet rebel...probably will never know, but she will ring the bell when the dogs score. When OM scores she doesn't do or say anything. I don't ask.

Mar 3, 2008
My family is all MSU. Married into a all USM family. In fact they make up 4 of the 12 fans they still have. It’s never really been a big deal since we pretty much beat them every time now. I will say during that late night rain delay game in Hattiesbug during the baseball regional it got a little hot. When we had the bang bang play at first that was called safe she turned to me and shouted “he was 17ing out and you know it!”

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
1. It’s brothers and not spouse. We watch together when we’re around.

2. I’d have fun going to Oxford or Starkville

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login