How many of you guys/gals think Beamer needs more time? If so, explain why. *

PopsCock

Feb 26, 2022

Sig31r

Oct 12, 2024
I believe that Beamer needs more time. There has been a slow but noticeable change in the quality of athletes that we have on the team. Simple things like average weight of the OL has changed significantly in the last two years. Physical metrics mater.

What is killing us now is that we have no threats at WR or TE which makes things really easy on the opposing defense. We have no WR the requires a double team every down.

This season in a long time to where I feel the defense is trending in the right direction.

I say give him another 3 years because we already missed the train on Chadwell. The coaching musical chairs are going to be busy this year with FSU and Florida. Vanderbilt might also be looking for a coach.

Reactions: Myrtlecock

Beanerball

Jul 17, 2023
I agree he gets this season as long as he doesn’t lose the locker room, and I don’t think he will. Unless we have a deal in place to bring in a top name what will it matter anyway. Let’s see if we land the receivers we have coming in. If we can can’t perform next year, I’m good with making a change. The schedule is brutal and Sellers is young. Success this season was a huge ask. Could a new coach recruit better? Maybe, depends on who it is, so unless we have a great guy on the hook I say hold on to Beamer. I’m open to hear who you thing we can get that will be better at this point. I can be convinced.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
In my opinion, Beamer getting a 5th season was in the cards when Tanner was moved to a new position. The new AD will evaluate whether Beamer is capable of raising us above mediocrity. Beamer was not hired to make and keep us mediocre.

This is Beamer's 4th season. Some try to compare Shane to how long it took Frank to make VT a power. That's like comparing apples to oranges. Today, with players not having to sit out a season when transferring, like in the old days, you practically can bring in a new team the following season. So, you can turn around a program faster than in the old days. Not only that, but Frank inherited a program that was put on probation.

A couple of other things: Shane needs to pick up his recruiting. Right now, our recruiting ranks 11th in the 16-team SEC. That's poor. Right now, we are 3-3 with the 3rd most seniors in the nation. We play the same schedule next season. Having to play the same schedule next season after losing so many players is concerning.

By the way, some keep mentioning Chadwell. as someone to go after in case Beamer can't get the job done. Chadwell is not the only good, young football coach among the non P4 FBS schools. One guy to keep an eye on is Jon Sumrall of Tulane.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Because changing coaches every 5 years or so hasn't done anything for SC football so why not try a different approach.
Because once you lose the fans, it's over. Especially now when raising money is near the top of importance and priority.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Yes, he need more time, and its simple, new AD is not here yet, new AD should be allowed to sink or swim based on what he does with the football program.

I would think unless the wheels fall completely off this season, the new AD gives Beamer 2025, since he has the built in excuse, I didn't hire him, that guy that hired WIll Muschamp did, I inherited him and if things are not progressing, we have new coach for 2026. That is the safe play for the new AD and if Beamer gets going then he is the smart new AD that knew not to make a change.
4 wins = the wheels are off.

I distinctly recall hearing Tanner's fate was tied to Muschamp.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
4 wins = the wheels are off.

I distinctly recall hearing Tanner's fate was tied to Muschamp.
"LaNorris Sellers is a warrior. He continues to get better each week. He did enough for us to win the football game. He’ll continue to get better."

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I think a lot depends on what is the realistic expectation for this football program. One might say SEC championship or national championship. But is that realistic? I think not. One might say just win 6 or 7 games annually to get to a bowl. But is that selling the program short? I think so.

I believe Top 20 is doable We have done that before with either coaches who died on the job or were past their prime, nearing retirement. Beamer is in his 40s. Expecting a Top 20 program annually or most of the time is realistic.

Myrtlecock

Joined Nov 30, 1998
Jan 23, 2022
My vote is to give him more time. I like this idea of no raises and possibly working our way out of any buyout if there is one I'm not even sure.
The financial part isn't really the reason though. I just feel like we need to be the kind of program that sticks with a guy because we like him and he does things the right way. He's young enough that he could be our coach for a long time. As much as I liked Spurrier for his success that always made me sad that we knew his days for numbered.

I think it comes down to recruiting. We've had two glaring weaknesses on our teams starting with Spurriers last year. Obviously the offensive line has hindered our ability to score points for way too long. The other was the lack of a pass rush. If last years loss to Florida didn't completely convince you that possibly our biggest problem was no good pass rushers I don't know what to tell you. That was the most infuriating thing I've witnessed in quite a few years.

This year we have arguably one of the best past rushing defenses in the country. Yes we got lucky with Stewart. Let's hope we can keep him. Beamer went out in the portal and got Kennard. Our ability to put pressure on the quarterback has as much to do with our ability to compete with good teams this year as anything else we've done. Beamer has also tried really really hard to address the problems on the offensive line. It's been a tough nut to crack. It is better this year. Marginally so but better.

Imagine if we had Rattler still behind center this year with our defenses ability to get off the field and get the ball back to him which is something we couldn't do the last couple years. So there's always that one piece of the puzzle that we don't quite have to make a complete team. Sellers is going to be a great quarterback. I wish he had been more polished coming in. Don't we all? I really believe he's going to get it together. Part of the reason I believe that is because I think he's a smart kid and obviously the athleticism is there. He's made some bad throws but his accuracy is not terrible. I can see that when he can stand there or even roll out and not have to fight off a defender he can throw an accurate ball. That was really the big question mark for me.

Looking at our schedule coming into this year I really only saw four wins. I think we can get to six. That's mediocre as hell! But it's progress.

Next year if Beamer is able to keep a competitive defense by hook or crook and sellers as matured and gotten better like I expect he will I believe we will progress further. I know we lose a lot to graduation especially on defense. But I have a feeling we've got some momentum on that side of the ball and if we don't crap the bed the rest of this year it's going to continue.

How different is this conversation if the Ref doesn't throw the flag on a pick 6 against LSU? Or we don't fumble against Alabama? I live in Gainesville Florida. I have a ton of friends and acquaintances that are SEC fans of every ilk. Our Gamecocks are almost everyone's second favorite team to watch. The Mississippi game was an exception of course but I really think we're close guys.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Only Georgia and Oklahoma have had fewer head coaches since 1999 than South Carolina in the SEC. This idea that we fire coaches all the time is just not true.
So you think we need to step up our firing game or reduce it to the levels of Georgia and Oklahoma? I think we ought to reduce it even further.

BoneSpur

Jun 17, 2024
Per https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-07-30/25-biggest-college-football-stadiums-country, USC has the 18th largest stadium capacity. I bring this up because of the mediocrity of the football program over time. We as fans fill the stadium and bring the university lots of money for a mediocre product. All of the programs above us have won something in the recent past (except Texas A&M and Penn St).

So, I don't understand how we could not get a qualified coach to come here and have consistent winning seasons. We play in the SEC, nice facilities, fill the stadium, fan loyalty, etc. USC just can't make the homerun hire (Spurrier was a homerun hire, but he was past his prime when hired).

I take all of that into account and feel that the BoT and university only care about money... which is what the football program is doing—bringing in money.

secocks

Joined Sep 12, 1999
Jan 26, 2022
I say he does based on the quality of talent on this squad and how he understands the portal and has used our nil resources pretty effectively. Also the team plays hard for him. My concern is having 30 plus seniors and what the talent landscape will be next year. You will not have one of the best defenses in the country every year. At some point he needs to win in the SEC at a higher rate than Muschamp did.

SuperCock99

Dec 11, 2023
We’ll see at the end of the season. Only wins so far are against Kentucky (a basketball school). And Old Dominion (a cupcake team who we barely beat).

VZVZ

Garnet Trust Supporter
Jun 20, 2023
We have had 120+ years of trying to get over "the hump" a couple of coaches have done it. We are who we are. Give Beamer 10 years or 5 it probably matters little.
I was going to say no to that, but 2024-1892=132. That’s a lot of football seasons.

I don’t know any more man. Shrug.

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
We are the Washington Generals. Aside from a few seasons, we have always BEEN the Washington Generals, we will always BE the Washington Generals. We are officiated like the Washington Generals and viewed by anyone outside of our fan base as the Washington Generals. The reasons for that are numerous, some of which we don't like to understand or acknowledge, but are embedded nonetheless. Such is life. Its been said many times that Spurrier 'proved you can win at South Carolina' which is false; Spurrier proved that HE can win anywhere, nothing more, as did McGuire and Tanner. It will take similar generational type head coaches in all three main programs to get us where fans assume we are entitled to be. Regardless of fan flavors of the month and water cooler beliefs, Beamer is as good right now as anyone realistically available to and interested in us. I would like to see him given more than usual time to build and develop the program.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login