How much is the baseball situation affecting everyone's reaction for the football situation?...

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Is the fact we saw such a quick decline with baseball making everyone react with more vigor regarding football? Or is it just as simple as this shitastic offense we have displayed up to this point.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Is the fact we saw such a quick decline with baseball making everyone react with more vigor regarding football? Or is it just as simple as this shitastic offense we have displayed up to this point.
To me, they are completely independent of each other. Baseball suckage feels like anomaly, where football suckage is a place we're all too familiar with.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I see them as separate issues but will be combined issue if Selmon ignores both. Football is money sport. Bring bad at football is bad for business. Can't let that linger on. We understood in 2019. Arnett was a quick emotional hire on a small contract in weird circumstances. I honestly don't think we owe him anything if he goes 5 wins or less. His choices to mix up offense to pro style rather than going with modified air raid guys and blend slowly. Barbay was his pick. Also his defense has gone putrid. I have more problem with the defense getting gashed. Baseball is a shame because of how far we have fallen but hasn't factored at all for me right now in football disgust

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Maybe a little, but I think it's more that most of us are:
1. Old enough to remember how the Croom and Moorhead (of course) eras felt
2. We saw Moorhead literally do and say some of these exact same things as he almost wrecked our program
3. #2 is so recent that it still stings every time we see one of the 2018/9 defensive stars make a play on Sundays, and we could all see 2023 was set up to be a banner year just like 2018 was

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The meltdown over getting blowout by LSU is something I haven’t seen in quite awhile. I’m as skeptical as anyone about Arnett but it does seem a little over the top. I don’t remember this same type meltdown after getting destroyed by LSU in previous years

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
The meltdown over getting blowout by LSU is something I haven’t seen in quite awhile. I’m as skeptical as anyone about Arnett but it does seem a little over the top. I don’t remember this same type meltdown after getting destroyed by LSU in previous years
It probably has as much to do with how we lost as it does that we lost. We weren't even competitive in that game. We looked like the football version of the bad news bears. It was as embarrassing a performance as I've seen since Jackie's last couple of seasons and Croom's first couple of seasons. Absolute futility. And no hope coming out of it, because our offense has sucked balls for three games running.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Doesn’t affect my reaction at all. The situations could not be any more different.

And regarding the “shitastic offense”, this bears repeating. As bad as the offense has been, all the advanced metrics show that our defense has been even worse. SELA did whatever they wanted on offense in the first half. Arizona offense did whatever they wanted in the 2nd half, and some of the first half, and only stopped themselves with turnovers. LSU offense did whatever they wanted for 60 minutes.

So, our defense 17ing blows. Blows worse than the offense, and that’s a much bigger problem in my book given the continuity of players, coaches, and talent on that side of the ball. People need to quit trying to make ridiculous suggestions like “hey lets just re-install the Air Raid in 3 days when we haven’t practiced it in 9 months” or “hey lets start a QB who couldn’t even hack it at Vandy” and start having more discussion on why the 17 we can’t get stops on defense.

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
We seem to be on an every other coach progression in football Sherrill - Croom - Mullen - Moorhead - Leach - Arnett

It's now obvious that we have to wait for the next guy to be good again.***

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Doesn’t affect my reaction at all. The situations could not be any more different.

And regarding the “shitastic offense”, this bears repeating. As bad as the offense has been, all the advanced metrics show that our defense has been even worse. SELA did whatever they wanted on offense in the first half. Arizona offense did whatever they wanted in the 2nd half, and some of the first half, and only stopped themselves with turnovers. LSU offense did whatever they wanted for 60 minutes.

So, our defense 17ing blows. Blows worse than the offense, and that’s a much bigger problem in my book given the continuity of players, coaches, and talent on that side of the ball. People need to quit trying to make ridiculous suggestions like “hey lets just re-install the Air Raid” or “hey lets start a QB who couldn’t even hack it at Vandy” and start having more discussion on why the 17 we can’t get stops on defense.
I agree with the sentiment regarding the defense. But at least those guys have played well before, so you can see a scenario where Arnett takes it back over or changes some things to make a difference.

There's no hope in sight for this offense. We've got some weapons. It's like having guns and no bullets.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I also see them as separate. I consider being good at football an uphill battle every single year for MSU. We have much less resources, a smaller fanbase, less tradition/experience being great, and much lower ranked recruiting classes than the top end of our conference. I think all of that is reversed for baseball and that our fall so quickly in baseball is a complete head scratcher. Falling quickly in football seems like it only takes one or two small dominos to make it happen. Losing Leach was not a small domino. Hence, my preseason prediction was 6-6. I think that’s questionable now that we’ve seen the offense.

Reactions: Seinfeld

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Worst defeat by them since 2013 and the first half 3 and outs. Worst first game execution by new coaching staff since Croom got roasted by LSU in the first game of his career 45-0 in 2007

Screenshot_20230922-153418.png

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
None. Mississippi State having a running offense doesn’t automatically mean we have a Mullen offense or a late 90s Sherrill offense, which I think is what a lot of people felt would happen. I liked the Air Raid and wanted to see a larger sample with it, but it was also kind of boring. I really enjoyed Mullen’s offense when it was clicking. My long term worry is having a running offense be consistently successful with inferior talent. I’d take variation over consistency. Would much rather have some 5-7 seasons and 10-2 seasons vs relegation to 6-8 wins every single year

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Actually having schitty baseball season would be an ideal segue into schitty football season but for some unknown reason I'm not ready to give up on this football team.....yet.

Reactions: paindonthurt

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Shitastic offense, and bad organization/planning when it comes to coaching. That makes football infinitely more frustrating than baseball, and a separate issue. It was done internally to ourselves.

Lemonis' issues are a separate thing, and the fixes are clear. We know he can coach. He's got to prove he can assemble the players, and we all understand he has 2024 to do it.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
For me, baseball doesn’t matter in this one iota. It’s all about having a national stage to prove you’re a better team than you got credit for and then proving the exact opposite.

Saturday made us look like we made one of the worst hires in modern SEC history. It was that bad. And nobody wants to see us go back to the dark days. The fear is that this is the beginning of that.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It probably has as much to do with how we lost as it does that we lost. We weren't even competitive in that game. We looked like the football version of the bad news bears. It was as embarrassing a performance as I've seen since Jackie's last couple of seasons and Croom's first couple of seasons. Absolute futility. And no hope coming out of it, because our offense has sucked balls for three games running.
That, and also the fact that we looked like a pile of steaming sh*t in 5 of the 8 quarters of the first two games. And 2of the 3 quarters we’ve looked ok in 3 games were the 2nd half vs a SELA team that was worn down. If we looked good in those games, I wouldn’t think twice about the LSU game.

and no, baseball has nothing to do with it.

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Baseball hasn’t crossed my mind.

We embarrassed ourselves last Saturday. Looked pathetic the entire game. Everyone in the program should be coaching like they are on the hot seat.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
No effect for me other than we can't Mississippi State a problem into a 5 year problem by keeping a staff that's terrible. We won't know for sure if they're terrible for a little while, but early returns aren't positive. And we intentionally gave a lesser salary/buyout due to circumstances so we have no excuse. If they figure it out, then great!

Reactions: patdog

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I agree with the sentiment regarding the defense. But at least those guys have played well before, so you can see a scenario where Arnett takes it back over or changes some things to make a difference.

There's no hope in sight for this offense. We've got some weapons. It's like having guns and no bullets.
We have like 2 weapons. Tulu, Marks. That’s it. Just about every other player on offense is G5 caliber in any system that’s not Leach’s Air Raid. We’re in the exact “no man’s land” conundrum on offense we always knew we’d be in whenever Leach left MSU…..extremely poor personnel fit for literally any other system besides the Mike Leach Air Raid, and no other Mike Leach’s out there to keep from having to switch systems. We are just in that predicament far sooner than we ever expected to be or wanted to be.

Reactions: patdog

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
Zero for me too. I was at the game last week and heard someone say "Croom" and that has been the doom multiplier for me. I've always been able to decouple baseball success/failure from football success/failure.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
2 different situations so zero percent. And yes as Drebin said it's the way we looked against LSU and AZ. Just lost.

Sep 4, 2012
I think it’s more that everything is going to sh*t fast. We seem limp and directionless, from our athletic director to Will’s arm. No one is stirring things up or spiking excitement, unless you count a cactus trying to sodomize one of our players.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
We have like 2 weapons. Tulu, Marks. That’s it. Just about every other player on offense is G5 caliber in any system that’s not Leach’s Air Raid. We’re in the exact “no man’s land” conundrum on offense we always knew we’d be in whenever Leach left MSU…..extremely poor personnel fit for literally any other system besides the Mike Leach Air Raid, and no other Mike Leach’s out there to keep from having to switch systems. We are just in that predicament far sooner than we ever expected to be or wanted to be.
Zavion's a weapon. Davis is a weapon. Whittemore is a weapon. JRob is a weapon. We've got a couple of weapons on the offensive line who are playing out of position.

Weve got some offensive weapons. We don't get the ball in their hands because of our futility at QB and our lack of protection on the line.

Reactions: Chesusdog

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Zavion's a weapon. Davis is a weapon. Whittemore is a weapon. JRob is a weapon. We've got a couple of weapons on the offensive line who are playing out of position.

Weve got some offensive weapons. We don't get the ball in their hands because of our futility at QB and our lack of protection on the line.
And poor coaching

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Maybe a little, but I think it's more that most of us are:
1. Old enough to remember how the Croom and Moorhead (of course) eras felt
2. We saw Moorhead literally do and say some of these exact same things as he almost wrecked our program
3. #2 is so recent that it still stings every time we see one of the 2018/9 defensive stars make a play on Sundays, and we could all see 2023 was set up to be a banner year just like 2018 was
2018 and 2023 are comparable but we aren’t nearly as talented defensively as 2018.

#ShowOff

Jun 21, 2013

So, our defense 17ing blows. Blows worse than the offense, and that’s a much bigger problem in my book given the continuity of players, coaches, and talent on that side of the ball. People need to quit trying to make ridiculous suggestions like “hey lets just re-install the Air Raid in 3 days when we haven’t practiced it in 9 months” or “hey lets start a QB who couldn’t even hack it at Vandy” and start having more discussion on why the 17 we can’t get stops on defense.
This.....

Going into the LSU game my main approach to watching this game was to see if our Defensive Front can get any pressure on Jayden Daniels. After watching the Arizona game, I found it alarming that we couldn't get pressure on their QB. If QB Daniels was just going to sit back and toss it around with zero pressure, I knew it was going to be a long game and perhaps long season. Fears were confirmed after LSU's first two drives.

What was even more alarming was that zero defensive adjustments were made at halftime. Even the commentators were a little perplexed that we took the same defensive approach in the second half. I think we all know Coach Brock is in over his head.

I listen to a couple of different college football podcasts throughout the week and going into Week 3 (USCe vs UGA) all the podcasts have talked about was how USCe's weakest part is their offensive line and they may have the weakest OL in the conference. If we cannot get pressure on QB Rattler and give him all kinds of time to throw he will pick us apart. And I will see if any second have adjustments will be made.

I know I feel like Coach Arnett was able to keep us in some games and the D would perform well in some games when Coach Leach's offense couldn't do ****. And that happened often. Now we are seeing a defense that seems slow and weak. Many returning starters but showing a steep decline from previous years and zero adjustments.

We'll see if we can get any pressure on Spencer Rattler.

Hail State.

Reactions: The Cooterpoot

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
It’s that it looks terribly similar to the Crxxms coast offense in its execution and the defense is extremely slow

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
I was having this same thought yesterday wondering how much heat is on CZA due to the heat on the baseball coach. Maybe the leash won’t be as long, the patience won’t be as long, due to having been spent on baseball.

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
With baseball we have the hope that Coach Parker is actually working with the pitchers to function like a real SEC staff. No matter what Coach Lemonis will still have his five-gallon bucket.

With Coach Arnett and his staff, we are beginning to see what others suspected of the programs in his hands. Underwhelming effort by the coaches that means poor performance by the team.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login