How should the SEC regulate the “fake injuries “?

blackjackdog3

Aug 23, 2012
I don’t know if the player is injured but the repeated convenience of these “injuries” kills momentum/rhythm/tempo.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I think Hadad nailed it on the pod.

If a player is injured and has to be helped off the field - he can’t return until the next series…

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
All injuries that stop play will need to be like concussion protocol. There will need to be an independent doctor on each sideline that will watch the injury and approve the player be able to return. If a player goes down more than once and delays the game he is out of the game for safety reasons.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
The TV announcers discussed this last night with one of them suggesting 15yd unsportsmanlike penalty.

prdubya

Nov 29, 2017
If a player is injured and has to be helped off the field - he can’t return until the next series…

I would add “if they stop play twice in one quarter for a player, they are done for the rest of the half. If they do this in 1H and have a stoppage in 2H, you’re done for the day.”

Seems like a fair compromise. If we stop a game for you 3 times, you probably need to be resting.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019

I would take it a step further. The player would be out the rest of the current series plus the entire next series. I think in the case of fake or suspect injuries the punishment should exceed the crime.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017

Stay out a whole series or 8 plays from scrimmage, whichever is greater.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
It would need to be 2 series. OM was waiting until we were in red zone to give the ‘fall down’ signal so it needs to be 2 series to really discourage it. Penalties would not work, referees would never make that call because fake injuries are impossible to prove. Leave it to OM to always be the one to require new rules to be written to combat their BS.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
They rarely do it until a team gets down in scoring position (inside 30). It's done to sub and it's done to stop the other team. No rule will stop it. They won't risk an injured player. Even sitting a guy won't stop it. It still stops momentum and allows subs.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
It’s just bush league crap… I can’t see a penalty ever being in play just because I think it would be too hard to police. But the player should definitely have to sit out the remainder of the series or you have to use a timeout to bring him back in.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
That’s not even enough, OM will wait until opponent is in red zone to have a 2nd string DL or DB fall down. Would only miss 4-5 plays at the most, and still get the free timeout. The more I think about it, the more I think there’s nothing that can be done without overly punishing players with legit injuries.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If play has to stop because you are “hurt”, you can’t come back in until change of possession.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
It sounds complicated, but allocate each team a certain number of injury stoppages per half. You'd have to analyze a few thousand games but pick a number that covers 90% of cases. After that, a team would either have to use a timeout or be subject to a ten second runoff or five yard penalty, with the opposing side getting to pick which.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I think it needs to be they’re out until the end of the quarter. It seems like too much to ask for refs to track drive after drive.

Plus, we see it happening in the redzone. If a player is only out for the remainder of a drive, that might only be a couple plays.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The only way is to have a "fall down can't get up injury" remove the player for his health and personal safety for the entire half.

If they can get up and move to the sidelines then only the current series. Let the ref give them a ten count like boxing.

It's similar to targeting. We have to think about the health of the player that's lying near death on the field

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I agree. Anything that just penalizes the player will just cause teams to use a throwaway player. And while we on camera can spot the obvious ones like last night. The referees shouldn't be also called on to play doctor.

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
1.) If a defensive player goes down for injury, they must miss the rest of the possession

2.) If a defensive player goes down with 2 minutes or less in a half, the player must miss the rest of that possession and the defense is charged a timeout.

IF the defense does not hold a timeout, they are assessed a 5 yard delay of game penalty.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

That's a good idea . . . except, instead of "if . . . helped off the field," I would make it "if the game is paused."

That is, if the injured player causes the game to be paused, then he must go out of the game and he cannot re-enter until the next series.

However . . . a team could put in a walk-on to play one single play, fake an injury at the end of that play and be replaced by the starter. Alternatively, the walk-on could fake an injury running onto the field as a replacement and not have to play a single play.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
In addition to possible on-field changes, the league could fine the head coach which could be done after the fact after video review.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Eliminate the 'time-out' aspect of it. All players must stay on the field, with no contact from the coach.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Truthfully, when it’s that obvious, the referee should just keep the clock moving & play on. But in general, if you go out injured, you’re out for the rest of the quarter.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
That’s not even enough, OM will wait until opponent is in red zone to have a 2nd string DL or DB fall down. Would only miss 4-5 plays at the most, and still get the free timeout. The more I think about it, the more I think there’s nothing that can be done without overly punishing players with legit injuries.

Extended time out of the game for the player, such as the rest of the possession, rest of half, etc. is the answer. It serves two purposes.

1. It discourages teams from unfairly taking advantage of the situation as they’re doing now.

2. In the case of legitimate injuries it provides time to verify that the injured player is truly in a suitable condition to return.

This is a no brainer. It’s about both player safety and abuse of the current rules.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think it's ironic that Lane Kiffin, who loves to run the up tempo offense, came up with and started using this blatant way to slow a team down and disrupt their offensive rhythm when he was the head coach at Ole Miss?

Every coach out there could use this loophole in their game plan but Kiffin is the only one who has made it standard practice.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Previous play should be review to see if the player in deed got hurt. If not put a delay of game or personal foul penalty on that team. Too obvious last night. Sounds harsh but it would put an end to the bull ****.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
You can’t get into having referees and replay officials trying to determine the legitimacy of an injury. Even last night the guy could just say he had a cramp.

It would have to be a set amount of time to miss if you stop play for your injury.

Starkvegas Dawg

Mar 26, 2019
For fake injuries, make it an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. Two unsportsman penalties on a player and he is dismissed from the game.

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
Miss and entire quarter. If with 3 minutes of end quarter miss the next quarter. If 4 quarter miss 1st quarter next game.

We Men

Oct 24, 2018
You guys are hitting all around it, pretty good suggestions, but not fool proof. My suggestion, I think, would pretty well stop it. If a player is "injured" enough to cause a delay of game, he must sit out that half and all of the next half. This, similar to targeting punishment. If he is really injured, it would be in his best health benefit anyway. What's wrong with that?

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
They should name it the “Rebel Rule” just to remind everyone why it needed to be created.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
You can’t get into having referees and replay officials trying to determine the legitimacy of an injury. Even last night the guy could just say he had a cramp.

It would have to be a set amount of time to miss if you stop play for your injury.

If it's a cramp make it a five yard penalty. They can get to the side line. I played football and got cramps. You can make it to the sideline. They should have their *** in better shape. They have to stop this bull **** one way or another. It harsh but it will get to a point that it is real injury when someone goes down.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You guys are hitting all around it, pretty good suggestions, but not fool proof. My suggestion, I think, would pretty well stop it. If a player is "injured" enough to cause a delay of game, he must sit out that half and all of the next half. This, similar to targeting punishment. If he is really injured, it would be in his best health benefit anyway. What's wrong with that?

The big problem is when a legitimate injury or cramp happens. Don't put another subjective possibility of a penalty just make the rule have the player sit out till the next series. Like another poster suggested it prevents the fakes and makes sure the legitimate guys are not sent back in before they are ready

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I was cold and wet then I had to see some dumbass take a flop just pissed me off. That bull **** has to stop.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
That's a good idea . . . except, instead of "if . . . helped off the field," I would make it "if the game is paused."

That is, if the injured player causes the game to be paused, then he must go out of the game and he cannot re-enter until the next series.

However . . . a team could put in a walk-on to play one single play, fake an injury at the end of that play and be replaced by the starter. Alternatively, the walk-on could fake an injury running onto the field as a replacement and not have to play a single play.

This is very easy to retroactively look at and should be accompanied with a $50,000 fine to the school.

Aug 22, 2012
The answer to this one is player safety. If a player goes down on a non-contact injury, the safest recourse for the player is to sit out the rest of the quarter or the possession.

It’s like when you were little and tried to play sick for school. My mom would say, “If you’re sick let’s go to the doctor and get you a shot. And no playing outside all day.” All of a sudden, you felt rejuvenated.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login