How SMU bought their way into P5

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
That's a very interesting article. Can't wait to see their NIL status. This just raises my curiosity of where schools like us will fit into this insanity going forward.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think it's awesome. Makes me want to root for them. They were screwed over so badly with the Death Penalty.

Another interesting bit (total side thread, I know) was that the Chiefs owner was a soccer player for SMU in the 80s. I keep hearing that football participation is down, and soccer is going to eventually take over. I see no evidence of this. From my perspective, football seems to have never been better, same with basketball. It appears that soccer and baseball have stagnated, and are the choices for middle class America who can pay to play. It's like people truly admire the folks to can play football and basketball (the cheapest sports, but also the most athletic).

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
Might explain why the ACC was floating the idea of teams meeting in the middle in Dallas to play to limit travel. That seems to be where the money flows

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Might explain why the ACC was floating the idea of teams meeting in the middle in Dallas to play to limit travel. That seems to be where the money flows
I don't think this will ultimately happen. I don't think these schools really care about travel, in all honesty. At the end of the day, if you're talking about a flight, doesn't really matter if that flight is from Miami to Dallas, or Miami to San Francisco. Majority of the cost is the flight to begin with. That extra mileage is just a side issue.

It will only matter in non-football/basketball sports. They are already flying around for those as it is.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
For those of you who haven't spent much time around SMU or SMU people, rethink your position on rooting for these tools.

I went to b-school there in 09-10... Evening classes, but I was on campus quite a bit during the day too. These people are everything Ole Miss people wish they were. They are extremely wealthy, extremely stuck up, extremely quick to talk about their Diddy and Grandiddy's accomplishments.

They go there to be lawyers, but didn't make the grades to get into A&M or Texas.

17 SMU. They're queefbags of the 13th order.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm assuming for non revenue sports they would meet in Dallas (or wherever), stay for several days and play several days back to back (tournament style)? Is that possible for girls soccer or tennis teams? Can a person/team play matches on 4 or 5 consecutive days?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
For those of you who haven't spent much time around SMU or SMU people, rethink your position on rooting for these tools.

I went to b-school there in 09-10... Evening classes, but I was on campus quite a bit during the day too. These people are everything Ole Miss people wish they were. They are extremely wealthy, extremely stuck up, extremely quick to talk about their Diddy and Grandiddy's accomplishments.

They go there to be lawyers, but didn't make the grades to get into A&M or Texas.

The way I look at it, Texas and (especially) aTm must be queefbags of the 26th order in that case. aTm the worst, at least Texas and SMU have actually won something - I consider SMU the 1982 national champs. aTm's endowment is like 18M, they can't win shlt. They are just on the pathetic side.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Last edited:

HammerOfTheDogs

Aug 6, 2004

Except their Diddy's and Grandiddy's actually accomplished something.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
The way I look at it, Texas and (especially) aTm must be queefbags of the 26th order in that case. aTm the worst, at least Texas and SMU have actually won something - I consider SMU the 1982 national champs. aTm's endowment is like 18M, they can't win shlt. They are just on the pathetic side.
That aTm endowment should end with a B. Also Texas’ endowment is even bigger. aTm and Texas get a piece of all oil produced in Tx I believe

Reactions: onewoof

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I think it's awesome. Makes me want to root for them. They were screwed over so badly with the Death Penalty.

Another interesting bit (total side thread, I know) was that the Chiefs owner was a soccer player for SMU in the 80s. I keep hearing that football participation is down, and soccer is going to eventually take over. I see no evidence of this. From my perspective, football seems to have never been better, same with basketball. It appears that soccer and baseball have stagnated, and are the choices for middle class America who can pay to play. It's like people truly admire the folks to can play football and basketball (the cheapest sports, but also the most athletic).
Did the Chiefs owner also kill five hookers while at SMU?

Reactions: Dawgg

patdog

May 28, 2007
What does the ACC get out of this?
About $70M per year and they only have to share about $30M with Cal and Stanford. The rest they can split. Question is, what do Stanford, Cal and SMU get? Years of little to no revenue sharing, then when they can finally fully share in the revenues, the conference will be gutted.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
17 that.
17 them.
17 Craig James.
17 Highland Park.
17 the ACC.
17 the precedent this sets.
You act as if the precedent wasn’t already there. SMU football has paid for their crimes and then some.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
About $70M per year and they only have to share about $30M with Cal and Stanford. The rest they can split. Question is, what do Stanford, Cal and SMU get? Years of little to no revenue sharing, then when they can finally fully share in the revenues, the conference will be gutted.
Well, first of all, I expect both of them will go to the B1G. Secondly, the ACC will survive, even if they lose 4-6 teams. They’ll still be P5 along with the Big 12.

Both are better than being G5.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
You act as if the precedent wasn’t already there. SMU football has paid for their crimes and then some.
To my knowledge, no school has ever relied solely on their donors/boosters to keep their program afloat so they can take zero money from their power conference for almost a decade in an effort to ‘buy’ their way in.

So… unless you can tell me a situation where a school has done that, then no, the precedent wasn’t already there.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
To my knowledge, no school has ever relied solely on their donors/boosters to keep their program afloat so they can take zero money from their power conference for almost a decade in an effort to ‘buy’ their way in.

So… unless you can tell me a situation where a school has done that, then no, the precedent wasn’t already there.
Booster and fan support is what makes a program. Why does any program get into any conference? Value. SMU has some.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
If you are going to buy your way into a P5 why not the Big 12? A Whole lot easier to the playoffs.

patdog

May 28, 2007
If you are going to buy your way into a P5 why not the Big 12? A Whole lot easier to the playoffs.
Stanford in particular would have been better off just going independent for a few years. Then join the Big 10 if it opens up for them, or the Big 12 if it doesn't.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Stanford in particular would have been better off just going independent for a few years. Then join the Big 10 if it opens up for them, or the Big 12 if it doesn't.
I believe that this move ultimately weakened the ACC and possibly spilled their doom. Once they have the money to buy their way out of the ACC several of those schools are going to hook up and head out.

Reactions: patdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Good question. And in the case of Stanford/Cal, you know they'd have gotten in. Probably just thought they were too cool.

I would imagine there was some resistance to SMU from other schools in the Big 12. But I think if I'm the Big 12, I'd get Oregon State and Washington State, and prepare for the inevitable move to the ACC for West Virginia and UCF, once they get raided. I think I'd pick up Boise State too.

In other words, be ready for the shift that is coming in a decade.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login