How would you approach NIL and women's sports?

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Let's use it in an example of a player like Victoria Vivans. She's hypothetically getting offered 250K to transfer to another SEC school. Or we could go spend 250K on a men's player - Cam Matthews type.

What would you do as the person responsible for distribution of NIL funds?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If you lose VV, how much are you allocated to spend on another women’s player?

Edit to add: I ask that question because you’re not operating in a vacuum here.

My first thought is we keep our players if at all possible— especially if we’re satisfied with them. And we would be more than satisfied with her.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
In order for me to vote for women’s basketball, at least one of the following would need to be true.

1. it would result in a better financial return for the university

2. I have a personal passion for the sport

Neither are true, so find me another Cam

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It should correlate with where the big boosters are, as far as the sport. An individual makes a big donation to NIL, it's generally going to be directed somewhere.

As for the slush fund part, funded mainly by all the average joes, I would say in general spend that on football/basketball. We don't need to be pushing out our donated money on the non-revenue sports unless it's the donors wishes (like baseball - many average joe donors want their money to go to that, and that's fine).

I can't ever see a time where we need to be paying our women's basketball team, just my honest opinion.

Reactions: ZombieKissinger

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
In order for me to vote for women’s basketball, at least one of the following would need to be true.

This is the right answer most all of the time. The only exception would be for your number 1 if there was another Caitlin Clark type player out there that we could get. I get that we couldn't afford her over some of the other schools that really would want her, but if she just wanted to play here and would take less to do it, then pay up what you could.

I still say that barring any type of Caitlin Clark type player, don't contribute anything to women's sports, because it loses money almost every time. And I say that as the father of two 13 year old girls. It just is what it is.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is the right answer most all of the time. The only exception would be for your number 1 if there was another Caitlin Clark type player out there that we could get. I get that we couldn't afford her over some of the other schools that really would want her, but if she just wanted to play here and would take less to do it, then pay up what you could.

I still say that barring any type of Caitlin Clark type player, don't contribute anything to women's sports, because it loses money almost every time. And I say that as the father of two 13 year old girls. It just is what it is.
This is why I was in favor of keeping VV.

Who would we have gotten who would have been close to comparable?

As I mentioned before, we’re not operating in a vacuum here.

Yeah, it’s a loss money-wise but probably less of a loss than losing her.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Let's use it in an example of a player like Victoria Vivans. She's hypothetically getting offered 250K to transfer to another SEC school. Or we could go spend 250K on a men's player - Cam Matthews type.

Think it would depend on a couple of factors:
  • Who is the coach
  • What is our trajectory (are we competing for SEC titles and making deep runs in the NCAAT)
  • What is her marketability

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The Drop Football GIF

Reactions: dorndawg

Bjm021889

Oct 2, 2023
I would think that no woman athlete is getting more than like 25k a year. The only time I would spend more than that is if they were a top 5 player in the sport or they had some massive social media following. Similar to like Livvy Dunne promoting your school.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I would think that no woman athlete is getting more than like 25k a year. The only time I would spend more than that is if they were a top 5 player in the sport or they had some massive social media following. Similar to like Livvy Dunne promoting your school.
The worst player on a competitive team is likely getting that much in total cash compensation.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Not the way LSU is doing it

Bjm021889

Oct 2, 2023
The worst player on a competitive team is likely getting that much in total cash compensation.
Maybe in basketball. But not the others women's sports. What would you guess the total NIL allocation is to womens sports?

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

As a side note, it is amazing how quickly I have lost interest in college athletics. Just about completely disconnected from it now. I find that I don't know very many details at all about players, standings, even coaches. I'm fast becoming that guy in social settings who can't participate in discussions about college sports since I know nothing of what is being discussed. NIL is mostly to blame, along with $hitty state football and baseball teams.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
Without know the breakdown of how much each sport brings in, I think you'd have to allocate at least 80% of NIL to football and men's basketball - with most of that going to football. The rest gets split up between everything else. I assume most of us on this board would want baseball as 3rd highest priority, then wbb.

So split the total up however you want based on those allocations. Then you've got a budget for each sport. If one of your wbb players wants more than your budget allows... oh well, go make her money elsewhere.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Without know the breakdown of how much each sport brings in, I think you'd have to allocate at least 80% of NIL to football and men's basketball - with most of that going to football. The rest gets split up between everything else. I assume most of us on this board would want baseball as 3rd highest priority, then wbb.

So split the total up however you want based on those allocations. Then you've got a budget for each sport. If one of your wbb players wants more than your budget allows... oh well, go make her money elsewhere.
I think you have to give 80% of your total to football. Not only is if by far the visible sport on campus, generates more much revenue than all the other sports combined. There are 85 scholarships there and less than half that combined between men's and women's basketball and baseball. I'd give 10% to men's basketball, then split the remaining 10% between the minor sports.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would say it’s situational. If you’ve got that team in place like Vic had I think you keep it going and spend some money.
This is the right answer unless there is a particular booster that is passionate about women's basketball and not other sports. Generally, any undesignated money should go to men's football and basketball. Those are the sports that make everything else possible, and the only reason to spend on another sport is if the booster is making the decision to do so or if there is a clear return in marketing value. For women's basketball, I would assume you don't really see a return unless you are making it to the final four.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Let's say this was at the end of the 2017 season and we were going into 2018... knowing we were that close to a National Championship, how could you not do what you had to in trying to keep a core piece of the team?

Sure, the women's sports lose money, but we had just ended the greatest Division I basketball winning streak known to man and were a game away from the school's first national championship in any sport. I'm not sure I would trade a legitimate shot at a national championship so the men's team can be on the bubble.

ETA: When I think about it, I value wins and championships over financial benefit to the school. For example, if I knew $300,000 would be enough to buy a roster that could win the women's soccer national championship, but would, at best, get us a left guard in football, then give me the soccer championship.

Last edited:

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
NIL should be used to improve Men's Basketball & Football only. No exceptions.

Reactions: BirdPuppy

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I absolutely hate that we have collectives for NIL. This shouldn’t even be a question on how to direct the money. It unfortunately is the norm and we basically have to participate. That being said, it should only be used for football and basketball. In some instances, baseball makes sense. We are an example of that with a rare baseball program that isn’t deep into the red. The other sports benefit greatly when football and basketball are generating more revenues.

The remainder of the sports should treat NIL how it was intended. If an outside entity is willing to pay a player for their Name, Image, and Likeness, then good for the player. This should not be coordinated at all by the athletic department or coaches.

Last edited:

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I agree. I'd spend the money on women sports if we were making runs in the tournament like we did with Vic.
Otherwise, spend it on the guy that will give us March madness...well, until he picks up his second foul 47 seconds into the game.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
My thoughts on the allocation of annual NIL expenditures for MSU would be about
60% - 70% Football
10% - 20%Men's Basketball
8%-10% baseball - should be lower at all but 15-20 schools in the country
less than 10% Womens Sports total
less than 5% Men's Tennis, Track, Golf, etc

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Don't rush to a conclusion until all the facts are in. Female enrollment at universities across the country is experiencing a significant upward trajectory. If recruiting athletes into women's sports is a strong correlation to increasing female enrollment at the university, then #1 would be true.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
I don't think a lot of girls are getting $250K. More guys but not even a ton of those really.

Reactions: patdog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Don't rush to a conclusion until all the facts are in. Female enrollment at universities across the country is experiencing a significant upward trajectory. If recruiting athletes into women's sports is a strong correlation to increasing female enrollment at the university, then #1 would be true.

Recruiting, sure, I could buy at least some correlation there. According to the NCAA's website, there are now 226k women competing in NCAA sports, and that's up 16% over the last decade.

That said, there's a big difference between recruiting in the form of offering a scholarship(full or partial) and giving an individual player $250k. You just will not make the math worth in terms of revenue/expenses in 99.9% of cases, and I definitely don't think the upwards trend in women's enrollment has anything to do with paying NIL to a star player.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008

Give them all gift cards to bed bath beyond **

• Haha
Reactions: DerHntr

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Recruiting, sure, I could buy at least some correlation there. According to the NCAA's website, there are now 226k women competing in NCAA sports, and that's up 16% over the last decade.

That said, there's a big difference between recruiting in the form of offering a scholarship(full or partial) and giving an individual player $250k. You just will not make the math worth in terms of revenue/expenses in 99.9% of cases, and I definitely don't think the upwards trend in women's enrollment has anything to do with paying NIL to a star player.
I don't disagree. My take is that IF women's sports is a marketing tool for driving up a university's enrollment, specifically female enrollment, AND that upward trajectory is an economic driver for the university, it is worth considering the investment.

That said, I'm not sure this data has been collected or if it exists. And since MSU doesn't really know how to market, I'm not sure this type of analysis is on MSU's radar. Quite frankly, I'd expect MSU to still be relying on old regression analysis from the 70's that analyzes "football success" and applications for new student enrollment. Not saying, just saying***********

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I don't disagree. My take is that IF women's sports is a marketing tool for driving up a university's enrollment, specifically female enrollment, AND that upward trajectory is an economic driver for the university, it is worth considering the investment.

That said, I'm not sure this data has been collected or if it exists. And since MSU doesn't really know how to market, I'm not sure this type of analysis is on MSU's radar. Quite frankly, I'd expect MSU to still be relying on old regression analysis from the 70's that analyzes "football success" and applications for new student enrollment. Not saying, just saying***********
MSU marketing is still envious about this…

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021

if vic is still here and we need her to win NC then do it. is cam the missing piece for a ff run?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login