Howland admits mistake to leave starters in.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
I think he was thinking right. We need premiums on NET when we can get them. Sometimes BS just happens

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Yeah, I don’t mind this one nearly as much as him admitting multiple times that he forgot about Woodard on the bench. Injuries are a part of the game

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I dont think you are gonna move the needle on NET in the final 4 minutes. But at the end of the say that injury could have happened at any moment. Thats just bad luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Meh … since it was Ole Miss I would have been trying to run it up…. Tolu’s injury could have happened in practice just as easy as being in a game… it’s not like having Will Rogers in and still passing up 14 with 2 minutes left

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Someone needs to tell Ben that scoring margin was taken out of the NET effective last year. Even when it was a part of the formula, it was capped at 10.

So which scenario is more likely:
1. Howland didn't know scoring margin was out of the NET and was playing to hold a scoring margin that didn't matter.
2. Howland did know scoring margin was out of the NET but left the starters in anyway. (Of course it wasn't just Tolu on the court. He had all five starters in the game with a 20 point lead and 1:15 left in the game. After Tolu got hurt, we finished out the game with the other four starters plus Davis.)

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Meh … since it was Ole Miss I would have been trying to run it up…. Tolu’s injury could have happened in practice just as easy as being in a game… it’s not like having Will Rogers in and still passing up 14 with 2 minutes left
Dan kneels on the Ole Miss 4.... Our fans:BAH! He should have punched it in!
Ben keeps starters in up 18... Our fans: BAH! He should have put in the equipment managers!

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Someone needs to tell Ben that scoring margin was taken out of the NET effective last year. Even when it was a part of the formula, it was capped at 10.

So which scenario is more likely:
1. Howland didn't know scoring margin was out of the NET and was playing to hold a scoring margin that didn't matter.
2. Howland did know scoring margin was out of the NET but left the starters in anyway. (Of course it wasn't just Tolu on the court. He had all five starters in the game with a 20 point lead and 1:15 left in the game. After Tolu got hurt, we finished out the game with the other four starters plus Davis.)

But wouldn't garbage time points (both for and against) play a part in Offensive/Defensive efficiency, which is still calculated in NET?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Its an average OER less DER. So again its gonna be tough to move that needle in 4 minutes.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I'm going with an "oh, ****" moment right after the injury happened, followed by a scramble to explain the brain fart.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Its an average OER less DER. So again its gonna be tough to move that needle in 4 minutes.

Fair enough. I don't know enough about it, honestly. The article is also kind of worded weird. It says scoring margin is used in NET calculation as a statement of fact, not "Howland said scoring margin..."

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login