How's Your 401k Doing?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The average 401k is down $34,000.
Buying opportunity. Dollar cost average. It does suck for those with near term retirement looming. As you approach retirement move more into fixed income to avoid market swings. After you do so do not be the old guy with a fixed income portfolio who compares his returns to the S&P 500 and harasses his investment adviser about it . *end advice*

Reactions: Preacher Franklin

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I don't look at or worry about my 401K. I consider it gravy. My employer also offers a define benefit plan along with it (Pension Plan). If I work to age 66, I will get 70% of the average of my five best income years. I figure my 401K will come back. It always has. I am going to retire in six years. The people who are getting hurt are those who wanted to retire this year.

Nov 14, 2010
I do feel for those that are retired - to not gain anything and loose while drawing is insult to injury……and I really feel for those - my dad is living on cash as long as possible- no drawing anything from his retirement account…..just trying to limit the damage

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I had a mix fund and have moved everything into stocks and buying more every chance I can.

I don’t give investment advice, you do you.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
For a long time I thought precious metals (gold & silver primarily) acted inversely of the stock market. However, the last few years the stock market drags metals with them. Anyone know why this happens? The inverse relationship just doesn't apply any more it seems.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Down pretty good. 14 years ago I didn’t care or even notice. A little scary at the moment, I admit, even though I know the drill.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Going Down Falling GIF by Outside TV

Oct 7, 2022
Buying opportunity. Dollar cost average. It does suck for those with near term retirement looming. As you approach retirement move more into fixed income to avoid market swings. After you do so do not be the old guy with a fixed income portfolio who compares his returns to the S&P 500 and harasses his investment adviser about it . *end advice*
What is your age definition of “near term?

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I felt like an idiot when my 401k smoked my fun money account last year. This year I’m way out performing my 401k. In fairness, my sock drawer would be getting a better return than my 401k this year.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
If you have a Pension, you may want to look into what the Pension fund is invested in. You would be surprised at how many pensions have very sketchy and shakey investments.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Better than it was a month ago. I think the FED is about to blink.

I do wonder if keeping a lid on the markets is a part of the game right now.

Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don't look at or worry about my 401K. I consider it gravy. My employer also offers a define benefit plan along with it (Pension Plan). If I work to age 66, I will get 70% of the average of my five best income years. I figure my 401K will come back. It always has. I am going to retire in six years. The people who are getting hurt are those who wanted to retire this year.
I take this method of just not looking at it. I’m sure it looks pretty bad right now.

Reactions: GloryDawg

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
What is your age definition of “near term?
Really depends on your risk tolerance but I plan to move from very aggressive to a more conservative allocation about 7-10 years out. Take a look at market cycles. I’m sure there are downturns that have lasted longer than that but it seems like a good time frame to minimize risk for me. I’ll head much more heavily fixed income 5 years and in as I close in on retirement, unless I fishwater some stock. Then I’ll be in here to let you all know! As always ask your investment adviser for help in navigating.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Up about 4%, jumped in cash on the last trading day of 2021. Been there most of the time since, with a few jumps in and out of the market (I'm currently in, but probably jumping back to cash soon). I'm 50/50 on retiring at the end of 2022.

Oct 7, 2022
Really depends on your risk tolerance but I plan to move from very aggressive to a more conservative allocation about 7-10 years out. Take a look at market cycles. I’m sure there are downturns that have lasted longer than that but it seems like a good time frame to minimize risk for me. I’ll head much more heavily fixed income 5 years and in as I close in on retirement, unless I fishwater some stock. Then I’ll be in here to let you all know! As always ask your investment adviser for help in navigating.
Good deal. If and when we come out of this down cycle, I need to move. I’m 10-15 out.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
Don’t short change your self with too much fixed income too soon. Many men live into their late 80s now and 1 in 2 women will live to 90. So your time line is long

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Better than it was a month ago. I think the FED is about to blink.

I do wonder if keeping a lid on the markets is a part of the game right now.
they are raising rates to prop up the international dollar , they don’t care about us. The only thing that will stop them is when they can’t service the interest on the debt.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
As of close of market today, I'm down about 5% and that's with a portfolio of 75% stock. It took a lot of years to come up with the right combination of securities but I"m hanging with this mix as it seems to be pretty resilient.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
they are raising rates to prop up the international dollar , they don’t care about us. The only thing that will stop them is when they can’t service the interest on the debt.
Naw son, read some history. That's when things get interesting. Those in power are never left holding the bag, that's the whole point of having power.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
I’ve been steadily losing like everyone else but fortunately there is still time and room to bounce back before I retire. I got at least 15 years to go.

40mikemike

Sep 29, 2022
I’ve got another 20-25 years to build, so I’m being really aggressive with my 401(K). I’m at -18.5% return at the moment. My company is matching 50% at the moment though, so I’m still dumping money into it. It’ll bounce back.

May 31, 2015
Only down about 5% on the year. I manage mine actively and have been in cash most of the year. Looking to be in positive territory by the end of the year. I can only invest in large index funds in my retirement account so my options are somewhat limited - just have to learn how to make the most of it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
In October of 2016 I had $100k that I needed to do something with. I’d always had a professional manage my investments but I decided to put that money in an account that I could trade online. I’m not a big market researcher, I bought stocks that I was familiar with either through my work, my wife’s work, or products that I liked. I traded regularly. I bought dips and sold if they made money. I probably watch 12-15 stocks and bounce between those stocks. November 2020 that account had $405k in it, today it has about $230k. I knew better but was too damned greedy to quit. I’ll get it back but it’s going to take some time and maybe a little luck.

Grover777

Nov 1, 2022
Naw son, read some history. That's when things get interesting. Those in power are never left holding the bag, that's the whole point of having power.
I don’t ‘know what you are even trying to say, son
they are bringing the whole thing down, on purpose it’s a controlled demolition. A strong dollar relating to other currencies is their priority. Interest on the debt payment for the federal government is the only thing we have in terms of slowing or stopping the rate hikes.

its going to zero or damn near

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If you find yourself blaming things on "they", ...nevermind...

Reactions: was21
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login