How's Your 401k Doing?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I don’t ‘know what you are even trying to say, son
they are bringing the whole thing down, on purpose it’s a controlled demolition. A strong dollar relating to other currencies is their priority. Interest on the debt payment for the federal government is the only thing we have in terms of slowing or stopping the rate hikes.

its going to zero or damn near
Now I do like a good argument between conspiracy theorists...

Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory | Mel gibson, Good movies, Great films

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I don’t ‘know what you are even trying to say, son
they are bringing the whole thing down, on purpose it’s a controlled demolition. A strong dollar relating to other currencies is their priority. Interest on the debt payment for the federal government is the only thing we have in terms of slowing or stopping the rate hikes.

its going to zero or damn near

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
The average 401k is down $34,000.
This thread made me look at my accounts. My time horizon is not short so I don't check in much except to invest. My brokerage account (Very Agressive), that I manage, is down 17.9% over the last year. I continue to invest at a regular rate and have for a long time. If I had tried to time the market over the life of the account, by moving in and out of cash every time things got shaky, I would most likely have missed out on returns. It's practically impossible. The guy who brags about timing the market right is dishonest, or just got lucky, or is only telling you about the time that it did work out and not the times it didn't.

17.9% looks bad over the last year. However, my 10-year return on that same account: 17.88%. I've gained way more by fundamental investing and dollar cost averaging than I ever would have with a short term reactive strategy.

A little more data:

• IRA that I do not manage (Investment Adviser). Aggressive. Down 17%.
  • Company 401k that I get to pick from a few "strategies" is down 26%. The one I have practically zero control over who does the investing is the crappiest by far. I'm REALLY counting on dollar cost averaging on this one...

Last edited:
Reactions: Preacher Franklin

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Really depends on your risk tolerance but I plan to move from very aggressive to a more conservative allocation about 7-10 years out. Take a look at market cycles. I’m sure there are downturns that have lasted longer than that but it seems like a good time frame to minimize risk for me. I’ll head much more heavily fixed income 5 years and in as I close in on retirement, unless I fishwater some stock. Then I’ll be in here to let you all know! As always ask your investment adviser for help in navigating.
When you start investing in a market cycle makes a much bigger difference than I think most people realize. Saving 30% of your income starting in 1941 for example, would have let you be financially independent after just 16 years. Saving 30% of your income starting in 1951 would have required you save for about 33 years. Similarly, saving 30% starting in ~1984 would have let you be financially indepedent in 16 years. Save 30% starting in 1990 and it would have taken almost 25 years. These numbers are with 100% stock portfolios but while changing allocation over time should reduce variability if you are measuring from the last five years, it could make things worse if you look at time from the start of savings because you could miss out on market returns that you need. Also, the variability gets worse as your percent savings goes down because you are relying more on stock returns compared to contributions the lower your savings rate gets. And this is measuring financial independence, ignoring social security, which provides some cushion. Regardless, the difference in time required is significant enough that most people should be aiming for retirement at 55 or 60 at the latest, so that if their timing ends up being unlucky than still have a chance of retirement by 65ish.

Also shows how important it is to start saving early. Most calculators would show that if you start saving 30% at 40, you're going to be able to retire earlyish, even if you have done little saving before then. But historically, some people that followed that route would have been able to retire in their mid 50s, and others would have had to keep working until their mid 60's, and of course not everybody is fortunate enough to do that and very few are fortunate enough to be able to save 30% year in, year out, over even 15 years, much less 25 or 30.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I hadnt looked in months. YTD I am down 21.6%.

Looking at how much $ that equates to compared to what I am down, I can see the average 401K being down $34k. Everything I read about 401k is that on average we as a society are woefully underfunding our retirement.

Hellen Keller saw this coming over the last few years, but it still sucks when it happens.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Mine is down 21% for the year but I'm hanging in and still buying. My mom is retired and can't afford to have hers go down so the advice given her was to move it all into safer more stable bets which she did and to pay the company a fee to "manage it" instead of doing it herserlf. She did that and hers is UP 0.5 One half of one percent doesn't pay the bills but at least it leaves dollars available to pay them with.

Reactions: mstateglfr

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Only down about 5% on the year. I manage mine actively and have been in cash most of the year. Looking to be in positive territory by the end of the year. I can only invest in large index funds in my retirement account so my options are somewhat limited - just have to learn how to make the most of it.
That's 5% on actual performance? Or 5% down after contributing all year?

My balance in accounts holding stocks (I don't hold any bonds or cash except for cash for short term needs) is "only" down 10%, but we are still in the thick of the accumulation stage. Not sure how actual weighted performance would be. Ignoring the timing of the savings from this year and just assuming they have zero return, we'd be down around 15% I think.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
I don't look at or worry about my 401K. I consider it gravy. My employer also offers a define benefit plan along with it (Pension Plan). If I work to age 66, I will get 70% of the average of my five best income years. I figure my 401K will come back. It always has. I am going to retire in six years. The people who are getting hurt are those who wanted to retire this year.
Even then, they should have throttled down their 401k in a certain percentage to protect the money needed at retirement +3 years. During that time, the market will adjust back to growth and you will make up the losses on what is still in the market. People act like your assets at the time of retirement are locked, in reality you have maybe another 5-10 years of growth opportunity beyond 65 for the part of your portfolio still in a conservative market segment.

Being 25 years from retirement, I am trying to buy literally as much as I can at this moment. Sure, we haven't hit bottom yet, but I like the opportunity to gain 30% on today's money to get back to the 20% lost in the market on the rebound from this point. It may take 2 years to see it, but it will get there.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Mine is down 21% for the year but I'm hanging in and still buying. My mom is retired and can't afford to have hers go down so the advice given her was to move it all into safer more stable bets which she did and to pay the company a fee to "manage it" instead of doing it herserlf. She did that and hers is UP 0.5 One half of one percent doesn't pay the bills but at least it leaves dollars available to pay them with.
I feel like she should move half of her assets back into the market at the moment. Leaving enough in safe harbor areas to access for money in the next couple of years and leaving the other in the market to realize the gains. Once markets get back to Dec 2021 values, move it back over. She may gain 30% during that time.

Now, she should definitely talk to her financial advisor about this, but the logic is there.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
In October of 2016 I had $100k that I needed to do something with. I’d always had a professional manage my investments but I decided to put that money in an account that I could trade online. I’m not a big market researcher, I bought stocks that I was familiar with either through my work, my wife’s work, or products that I liked. I traded regularly. I bought dips and sold if they made money. I probably watch 12-15 stocks and bounce between those stocks. November 2020 that account had $405k in it, today it has about $230k. I knew better but was too damned greedy to quit. I’ll get it back but it’s going to take some time and maybe a little luck.
Over 100% return over 6 years is pretty dang good, 405% was better.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
As crazy as it reads, I have not looked at my portfolio in roughly 12 months. I shred mailed reports without opening (including annual 1099s, much to my CPA's chagrin). I have a set DOW number in my head that will trigger my next observation of portfolio results. I suspect that I'm off between 18 and 24 percent, much like everyone else.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I know everyone is saying they are down out of curiosity have any of you have loss your contribution or has all the loss be the employers matching contributions?

LandArchDawg

Sep 14, 2003
The average 401k is down $34,000.
My wife and I have combined investments. We've lost over $100k since last year's high. Our financial managers have been on recession protocol the last two months to minimize further losses. Their belief based on market performance ahead of past recessions is we haven't found bottom yet, and the recent uptick is both a big shark and day-trader tease.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
401K is holding up, have gone mostly cash entire year, and am maxing contributions into SPY index fund.

Fun account is doing poorly, down about 35% YTD.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Even then, they should have throttled down their 401k in a certain percentage to protect the money needed at retirement +3 years. During that time, the market will adjust back to growth and you will make up the losses on what is still in the market. People act like your assets at the time of retirement are locked, in reality you have maybe another 5-10 years of growth opportunity beyond 65 for the part of your portfolio still in a conservative market segment.

Being 25 years from retirement, I am trying to buy literally as much as I can at this moment. Sure, we haven't hit bottom yet, but I like the opportunity to gain 30% on today's money to get back to the 20% lost in the market on the rebound from this point. It may take 2 years to see it, but it will get there.

I haven't paid attention to bonds, but just assumed bond funds have been getting hammered pretty good to as interest rates moved up. I guess if they've been doing it right they've been moving money into short maturity bonds?

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Federal Reserve certainly not helping 401K balances with its commentary today. Lots of individual growth stocks still hitting 52W lows today.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I haven't paid attention to bonds, but just assumed bond funds have been getting hammered pretty good to as interest rates moved up. I guess if they've been doing it right they've been moving money into short maturity bonds?
Yeah, bond funds are well down. Cheap now,by recent history but not by historical standards. In hindsight, having a chunk in stocks that perform well in a downturn would be good, so as to sell them now for bonds and rebalance.

RBDog82

Sep 14, 2008
My 401k / IRA and taxable accounts are 95% stocks and 5% blend. I use my rental portfolio as my bond allocation. My net worth is split 50/50 between stocks and rental. YTD my return is 8-10%. Can’t wait for my stocks to actually contribute positive returns again.

May 31, 2015
That's 5% on actual performance? Or 5% down after contributing all year?

My balance in accounts holding stocks (I don't hold any bonds or cash except for cash for short term needs) is "only" down 10%, but we are still in the thick of the accumulation stage. Not sure how actual weighted performance would be. Ignoring the timing of the savings from this year and just assuming they have zero return, we'd be down around 15% I think.
Good point. Actual performance I'm at the end of my career so my 10% of salary contribution (5% from me and 5% from my employer) wpuld only add a couple of percent on the year if I counted contributions in the calculation.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
This year's market shouldn't be a reason someone can't retire.
For a long time I thought precious metals (gold & silver primarily) acted inversely of the stock market. However, the last few years the stock market drags metals with them. Anyone know why this happens? The inverse relationship just doesn't apply any more it seems.

I'd guess because gold pays nothing and the dollar is really strong. Not a good combination in the current environment.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Stick with value stocks no matter your time horizon for the next year or two. I think it's a great time to be adding to bonds too.
Coming into today:
Bond Index -16% ytd
S&P -18% ytd
Nasdaq -29%

Vanguard Value ETF (VTV) -6% ytd, 2.8% dividend
Vanguard Equity Income (VEIPX or VEIRX for admiral shares)-2.4% ytd, 2.9% dividend

Use the VTV for a taxable account and VEIPX for for retirement accounts. If you buy enough (not sure the minimum) buy the Admiral shares which are cheaper which the symbol is VEIRX.

For your 401k I'm sure you have a value fund option. If I was +10yrs from retirement, I'd be 8-10% money market (should be paying 3% at least by now, 10-20% short term treasuries, 60% value stocks, 10-20% growth stocks

Nearing retirement: 10-20% cash/money market, 20-30% short term treasuries, 50-70% Value stocks

Reactions: BoDawg.sixpack

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Change your allocation. You have a choice in your 401k. You must be heavily focused on growth stocks and there's growth stock funds out there down 30-40% easy. Some much worse.

ETA: This was intended for Jeathrexdawg. Still not sure how to quote people.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Oh, you meant buying actual bonds instead of funds? A good option for near retirees still putting money in today, but a year ago the payouts on those were squat. Might as well be holding cash or CDs.

10% of a portfolio in CDs will still generate a little return, and provide a guaranteed ~3 years of withdrawals, which should ride out most downturns.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
My 401k / IRA and taxable accounts are 95% stocks and 5% blend. I use my rental portfolio as my bond allocation. My net worth is split 50/50 between stocks and rental. YTD my return is 8-10%. Can’t wait for my stocks to actually contribute positive returns again.
I've always considered my income to be my "bonds". When there's a correction, instead of rebalancing and moving money from bonds to stocks, I'm just steadily putting more money in with a lower valuation now. I guess I'm getting to the point where the contributions are too small in comparison to the total for that to meaningfully buy down the average cost, but I still have a long enough horizon that I think staying all stocks is fine. I think I could probably cut down on my volatility by adding some bonds, but not sure I'd really improve my performance any.

Reactions: RBDog82

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Getting easier to find stocks that look more attractive. Can't say I don't like this action we're seeing now. While I think the Fed's strategy isn't amiss, I do think there's a trap in the housing market because I don't think increased interest rates will offset the drop in new home prices for most markets until inventory ticks up. But we shall see...

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
This thread made me look at my accounts. My time horizon is not short so I don't check in much except to invest. My brokerage account (Very Agressive), that I manage, is down 17.9% over the last year. I continue to invest at a regular rate and have for a long time. If I had tried to time the market over the life of the account, by moving in and out of cash every time things got shaky, I would most likely have missed out on returns. It's practically impossible. The guy who brags about timing the market right is dishonest, or just got lucky, or is only telling you about the time that it did work out and not the times it didn't.

17.9% looks bad over the last year. However, my 10-year return on that same account: 17.88%. I've gained way more by fundamental investing and dollar cost averaging than I ever would have with a short term reactive strategy.

A little more data:

• Company 401k that I get to pick from a few "strategies" is down 26%. The one I have practically zero control over who does the investing is the crappiest by far. I'm REALLY counting on dollar cost averaging on this one...
Your 401k you do have control over I would think you'd have several mutual fund options. To be down 26%, you're selections are on more growth oriented strategies and probably some international as well.

I'd stick to more US Large Cap value funds for now, use some treasury money markets/stable value funds as well. Maybe like 70-80% stocks, 10-20% money market/stable value, 10-20% in short term Treasury fund.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

A little more data:

You should see whether there is a self management option. Not sure how common it is, but at one of my employers, I had the option of paying $500 a year and self managing. Could have bought individual stocks or index or mutual funds they didn't offer.

ETA: My wife has two retirement plans with her employer. One of them was actively managed, one of them you could opt in to having it actively managed. My dumb indexing strategy was up by almost $3k after two years, which percentagewise was a huge difference. Then they changed to where you could opt out and I did. Now certainly that was actively managed during a bull market, so maybe the actively managed accounts are doing better now that we're in a bear, but thought that was a terrible plan to have people locked into.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login