Hughie Critz…

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I've still got a couple of his baseball cards I bought when I was younger. Certainly one of the great State MLB careers.

Seems like he was probably one of those guys who the game just came naturally too. It was depressing to play against athletes like that.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I learned much in reporting this story, including that State once had two starting second basemen in the World Series… https://mississippitoday.org/2024/08/23/hugh-critz-baseball-reds-giants/
Thank you Rick for being such a great storyteller!!
This one, like all of your articles/stories are so much fun to read.
Such nostalgia in remembering your writings, your brother Bobby - how great was he ??
Billy Watkins, Orley Hood, Rusty Hampton.
All of those guys made the Jackson Clarion Ledger must read especially on Fall weekends.
My how times have changed.

Willow Grove Dawg

Nov 3, 2016
Thank you Rick for being such a great storyteller!!
This one, like all of your articles/stories are so much fun to read.
Such nostalgia in remembering your writings, your brother Bobby - how great was he ??
Billy Watkins, Orley Hood, Rusty Hampton.
All of those guys made the Jackson Clarion Ledger must read especially on Fall weekends.
My how times have changed.
Rusty Hampton - not so great to MSU

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
The Clarion Ledger was already throwing shade at us by 1980. I bought my last C.L. In the early 1980’s when Emory Bellard was our coach. Never bought another one and don’t let anyone bring one into my house. These days they get zero clicks from me. They brought this on themselves and they can choke on it.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The Clarion Ledger was already throwing shade at us by 1980. I bought my last C.L. In the early 1980’s when Emory Bellard was our coach. Never bought another one and don’t let anyone bring one into my house. These days they get zero clicks from me. They brought this on themselves and they can choke on it.

Well, the internet might've played a small part in their death spiral.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Well, the internet might've played a small part in their death spiral.
No doubt about it and I don’t click on anything from them. I always thought that they had a very interesting marketing strategy from a college sports perspective. I would have loved to listen in to the strategy meeting when they decided to piss off half of the State in an effort to sell more papers. They must have thought that it was a solid plan though because they have been doing it for well over 40 years now.

RivaDawg

Feb 26, 2008
I can hold a grudge like a mofo! It is one of my greatest traits. But damn! That is impressive. Early 80’s CL was legit. Rick and Bobby Cleveland, Orley Hood. Sunday morning on the ******* (toilet) was great.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login