HURRICANES-Degrees of Destruction

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
Since we are in the hurricane season, thought it appropriate to include a few tid-bits of information on the calculations of pressures created by various wind speeds and the Degree of Destruction generated.

A typical adult's body has a projected frontal area = 8 sq. ft.
Wind pressure developed by 180 mph wind speed = 80 psf
Therefore:
If you were standing outside during this event, you would have to resist 640 lbs +/- of load (two pro DL) [8 sq.ft. x 80 psf = 640 lbs]

Several years ago, I spent four days in Albany, NY studying wind science. The classes included wind speeds, wind pressures and their impact on structures.
the classes were taught by Drs. James R. McDonald and Kishor C. Mehta, both were head of the Steering Committee

The project (DOD) was conducted under the auspices of the Wind Science and Engineering Center at Texas Tech University. Drs. James R. McDonald and Kishor C. Mehta are Co-PIs on the project.

I believe you will find the first link below very interesting; it deals with the degrees of destruction on many different houses, buildings, trees, etc. and the damage caused by various wind speeds.
View Pages in the appendix A-1 to A-66.

The second link is a graph of wind speed vs. pounds of pressure per sq ft
The third link is a typical calculation of wind speed to find wind pressure.

LINKs:
https://www.spc.noaa.gov/efscale/ef-ttu.pdf

Last edited:

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
4 days
Since we are in the hurricane season, thought it appropriate to include a few tid-bits of information on the calculations of pressures created by various wind speeds and the Degree of Destruction generated.

Therefore:
If you were standing outside during this event, you would have to resist 640 lbs +/- of load (two pro DL) [8 sq.ft. x 80 psf = 640 lbs]

Several years ago, I spent four days in Albany, NY studying wind science. The classes included wind speeds, wind pressures and their impact on structures.
the classes were taught by Drs. James R. McDonald and Kishor C. Mehta, both were head of the Steering Committee

The project (DOD) was conducted under the auspices of the Wind Science and Engineering Center at Texas Tech University. Drs. James R. McDonald and Kishor C. Mehta are Co-PIs on the project.

I believe you will find the first link below very interesting; it deals with the degrees of destruction on many different houses, buildings, trees, etc. and the damage caused by various wind speeds.

The third is a typical calculation of wind speed vs wind pressure.

LINKs:

4 days in Albany?? There isn’t enough alcohol!

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
During hurricane season the NWS will not allow me to eat Busch’s Baked Beans and Pizza Perfect wings in the same day!

PSU87

Oct 12, 2021

Therefore:

The third link is a typical calculation of wind speed to find wind pressure.

LINKs:

As an engineer, I appreciate the science, but trying to put up a Hurricane panel in 50kt winds is a more effective demo :cool:

Reactions: step.eng69

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
If you look outside and see something like this, it was a wind storm.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
As an engineer, I appreciate the science, but trying to put up a Hurricane panel in 50kt winds is a more effective demo :cool:
Let's see it PSU87, looking forward to the video. 🧐
Found this video of man resisting 100 mph winds, about 27 psf = 216 lbs of force

Last edited:

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
Let's see it PSU87, looking forward to the video. 🧐
Found this video of man resisting 100 mph winds, about 27 psf = 216 lbs of force

My prep is done. Went into work (course is closed) and the GM turned on the taps in the men's locker room at 8am. 7 employees mixing drinks and pouring Guinness on a Tuesday morning. Then I stopped and got a keg of Yuengling at Beer City. Old saying in the golf biz - "When it rains, we pour."

step.eng69

Oct 12, 2021
My prep is done. Went into work (course is closed) and the GM turned on the taps in the men's locker room at 8am. 7 employees mixing drinks and pouring Guinness on a Tuesday morning. Then I stopped and got a keg of Yuengling at Beer City. Old saying in the golf biz - "When it rains, we pour."
GOOD LUCK NITT,
GOD Speed to you and yours 😧

Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021

I am headed to Cheffrey's Eats (best burger in FL, been on foodtv numerous times) and Barrel of Monks brewery they are having BOGO drafts today as pre gaming for the hurricane.

MtNittany

Oct 12, 2021
I am headed to Cheffrey's Eats (best burger in FL, been on foodtv numerous times) and Barrel of Monks brewery they are having BOGO drafts today as pre gaming for the hurricane.
If I was in your neck of the woods, it would be Silverball Museum time for sure.

Bwifan

Oct 12, 2021
If I was in your neck of the woods, it would be Silverball Museum time for sure.
That might be the call after a big burger from Cheffrey's and a few beers. Cheffrey's Eats burgers are insane. The burger of the month for October is crazy. He has them and all his different burgers online on social media. He is off Clint Moore near Congress Ave, his food truck is always stationed at Barrel of Monks.

Reactions: MtNittany

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login