I’ve become my parents: Teen Driver

msugrad2003

Aug 27, 2013
So I’ve been contemplating for some time to start a SPS series called “I’ve become my parents”. Honestly, it was a toss up between that and “Get off my lawn”. I reserve the right to change it.
Anyway, my 16 yo daughter can not drive. She’s had her permit almost a year and is two weeks away from getting her license. She’s terrible! And, you can’t tell her anything. I try, in a calm voice, to tell her to think about certain things and to look out for the other driver. She won’t listen and thinks I’m an idiot. It’s scary, I tell you. I’ve become close with the Lord while riding with her and the cheeks pucker.
Why don’t they listen. I’m just trying to help and to get her to avoid the mistakes i made. God help us all

Jul 11, 2024
So I’ve been contemplating for some time to start a SPS series called “I’ve become my parents”. Honestly, it was a toss up between that and “Get off my lawn”. I reserve the right to change it.
Anyway, my 16 yo daughter can not drive. She’s had her permit almost a year and is two weeks away from getting her license. She’s terrible! And, you can’t tell her anything. I try, in a calm voice, to tell her to think about certain things and to look out for the other driver. She won’t listen and thinks I’m an idiot. It’s scary, I tell you. I’ve become close with the Lord while riding with her and the cheeks pucker.
Why don’t they listen. I’m just trying to help and to get her to avoid the mistakes i made. God help us all
Maybe try being less calm or telling her she can’t get her license until she listens to her 17ing dad like a good little chap?

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
You probably should sign her up for a driver's ed class. The instructor could be totally impartial, while you cannot.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
I have a 16 year old daughter too. Similar situation but she listens to what I say. She’s still nervous though. She can’t stand for her mother to be in the car instead of me because my Wife acts like she’s going to die every time a Semi truck passes by.

Reactions: RocketDawg

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
You are on the hook, for whatever she does. You are right to be concerned.
Plus, many other issues.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve got twin daughters and I’ve still got a few years until we are driving but one of them will be a fantastic driver and the other I’m absolutely terrified to think of her behind the wheel.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Mine nearly caused three multi-car accidents during her first paid driving lesson (2 hours long) last year. After I made her cry during one of my own following attempts to instruct, we set her up with a driving simulator rig and are having to force her to practice.
I'm not looking forward to our next real life attempt.

She didn't have nearly as much bike time as our generation did, had no Barbie Jeep or similar, has the Gen-Z-can't-handle-criticism/lock-up-under-stress gene, and with social media/screens to both connect and distract, doesn't have nearly as much impetus to be around friends in person (one traditional reason for teens to learn to drive).

I've already started thinking about how to fix this with her younger brother, but in the meantime I'll be honest: she needs AI to drive her.

bulldawg90

Sep 16, 2014
I taught mine to drive and they did ok. I will say my son was easier to teach than my daughter. She was always nervous. We did sign up both for a paid drivers education course because their HS was so big they would have never gotten into the class until their senior year and that was if they were lucky. Plus we wanted the insurance discount. I will say the course was very good and the instructors know how to handle teenagers. Also my kids learned a lot of stuff that I probably wouldn’t have thought about.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I taught mine to drive in the woods. We were in a remote hunting club so when we went through the gate we swapped drivers. We started this when they were about 12. One lane crooked gravel roads and no traffic. By the time it was legal for them to get a permit they were already proficient at driving a vehicle and could concentrate on learning about traffic and all of the associated dangers. I had boys.

Reactions: trob115

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Honestly this part of raising a girl scares me more than the don't get knocked up talks.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I don't have kids, so I have no right to say this.

But if she was consistently ignoring me and driving like an idiot, she would have no vehicle to drive and no license until both of those things changed.

Reactions: The Peeper

patdog

May 28, 2007
You probably should sign her up for a driver's ed class. The instructor could be totally impartial, while you cannot.
She also might listen to him. Very good suggestion. Sometimes it’s best for the parents to step away & let someone else do the job.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Why are kids these days so nervous/reluctant to learn to drive? I couldn’t wait & I picked it up almost immediately. My theory is kids are way too protected these days & don’t learn to be independent or do anything one their own.
I learned at 15, (and before), I think my sister was 18. Different stokes for different folks.
Long ago....Was required to learn on a stick shift, glad I was.

Reactions: patdog

patdog

May 28, 2007
I learned at 15, (and before), I think my sister was 18. Different stokes for different folks.
Long ago....Was required to learn on a stick shift, glad I was.
My first experience driving a stick. I was 15. My aunt had a Triumph Spitfire. I asked if I could drive it. She asked if I could drive a stick shift. I said sure, even though I never had in my life. Had a couple of hiccups at first but I picked it up pretty quick.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Since kids these days have the attention span of of a squirrel and are experts on ignoring anything we say, pull up some Reddit/NSFL posts, show some of the accident scenes to her. It is shocking. Let her know that greasy spot on the asphalt could be her if she doesn’t get her head out of her asss.

I’m all for shock/scare tactics when reason won’t work, especially with something like driving stupid that can kill them quick.

Reactions: patdog

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Mine nearly caused three multi-car accidents during her first paid driving lesson (2 hours long) last year. After I made her cry during one of my own following attempts to instruct, we set her up with a driving simulator rig and are having to force her to practice.
I'm not looking forward to our next real life attempt.

She didn't have nearly as much bike time as our generation did, had no Barbie Jeep or similar, has the Gen-Z-can't-handle-criticism/lock-up-under-stress gene, and with social media/screens to both connect and distract, doesn't have nearly as much impetus to be around friends in person (one traditional reason for teens to learn to drive).

I've already started thinking about how to fix this with her younger brother, but in the meantime I'll be honest: she needs AI to drive her.
Golf cart…

We bought a golf cart when our kids were probably 9 and 6 so they both have pretty much grown up driving it around the neighborhood. My daughter has been driving for about 1.5 years now and besides wearing out brake pads with her stopping, she does pretty well and drives on I-10 regularly. My son will get his permit in January, but he’s been running the neighborhood Uber for his friends on the cart for a couple years now.

Reactions: 00Dawg and trob115

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Here is something crazy. My great uncle was 13 years old during WWII. He got a job in Oklahoma driving freight trucks. They knew he was 13 years old. They did not have enough grown men to drive. They were all in the military.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I have a 17 yr old daughter who is probably the most responsible teenage driver I’ve ever been around.

I have another in middle school who is tempting me to recommend everyone in our neighborhood prepay for their ortho surgery now if they can get a discount.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I’m getting to the age that I’m reluctant to drive without my wife in the passenger seat. There’s no telling how many cars that I would rear end without her there telling me that the car 50 yards in front of me me is slowing down. Don’t get me started on the blinking lights on the back of cars. Somehow she can decipher the blinks and determine not only that the car in front of me is turning but she can determine the direction of the turn. It’s like there is some kind of code in those blinking lights. No telling how many times she’s saved me from accidents! I’m really amazed that single men can drive from point A to point B without supervision and instant criticism.

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
I made both of mine pass MY driving test before they could even take the state’s test to get their license. Mine was a 2-hour drive around Houston with all that that entails and has to offer (interstates, bridges, highway interchanges, parallel parking, roundabouts, etc). I also can guarantee you that my grading standard was WAY tougher than the DMV’s.

Reactions: MoronDawg

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
We should hang out, and drink heavily... my daughter is home tonight because we caught her driving 40mph on our street because she was trying to not get home late. We have told her 100 times to not speed on neighborhood streets ever. No car for a few days for her. She's actually a decent driver but had a led foot like her mom and it takes 1 second to hit a kid in a neighborhood.
Yeah I've become my parents also. Proud to have done so!

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Shortly after getting her license, my teenage daughter backed out of our garage . . . while the garage door was closed . . . in the middle of the day . . . and bashed in our garage door.

While leaving school, she also ran off the street and hit a street sign ripping off a substantial part of the passenger-side mirror and the rear wheel trim.

Finally, she backed into another car while coming out of a parking space in a parking lot.

From this data (and additional data I've collected throughout the years), I've come to the conclusion that women (and girls) can't 17ing drive for shlt.

Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be completely wrong.

In other words, you'll just have to simply deal with it . . . like the rest of us.

Reactions: OopsICroomedmypants

maroontide06

Dec 14, 2023
I’m getting to the age that I’m reluctant to drive without my wife in the passenger seat. There’s no telling how many cars that I would rear end without her there telling me that the car 50 yards in front of me me is slowing down. Don’t get me started on the blinking lights on the back of cars. Somehow she can decipher the blinks and determine not only that the car in front of me is turning but she can determine the direction of the turn. It’s like there is some kind of code in those blinking lights. No telling how many times she’s saved me from accidents! I’m really amazed that single men can drive from point A to point B without supervision and instant criticism.
Check your DM inbox.

MoronDawg

Nov 26, 2022
Reading this thread has made me wonder if participation in sports might have an advantage in terms of driving. Sports helps you learn about spatial relationships, quick decision-making, quick reflexes, monitoring what others are doing and anticipating their moves, following rules, and interacting in a consistent manner. Do any of ya'll think that participating in sports correlates to good driving skills?

Oct 7, 2022
Send her to me. One trip either south to north or north to south on I-65 through the state of Alabama will educate her rather quickly on how much she doesn’t know.

Oct 7, 2022
Shortly after getting her license, my teenage daughter backed out of our garage . . . while the garage door was closed . . . in the middle of the day . . . and bashed in our garage door.

While leaving school, she also ran off the street and hit a street sign ripping off a substantial part of the passenger-side mirror and the rear wheel trim.

Finally, she backed into another car while coming out of a parking space in a parking lot.

From this data (and additional data I've collected throughout the years), I've come to the conclusion that women (and girls) can't 17ing drive for shlt.

In other words, you'll just have to simply deal with it . . . like the rest of us.
^^^^^
This is the correct answer

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It’s probably easier to teach your kids to drive if you live in a small town or rural area. I can’t imagine having to teach them to drive around the Jackson area, much less a place like Birmingham or Atlanta. It’s also probably easier in most cases if you have boys.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

I don't think you're wrong in saying they can't drive, but I'd add that they have the potential to be able to drive, it's just that they can't be bothered to make driving their first priority while... driving.

22yardpunt

Dec 20, 2009
If she’s not listening to you, accept that she won’t (she won’t) and find someone else to teach her - someone with authority or credibility, like a cop or respected parent friend.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
Golf cart…

We bought a golf cart when our kids were probably 9 and 6 so they both have pretty much grown up driving it around the neighborhood. My daughter has been driving for about 1.5 years now and besides wearing out brake pads with her stopping, she does pretty well and drives on I-10 regularly. My son will get his permit in January, but he’s been running the neighborhood Uber for his friends on the cart for a couple years now.
Golf carts are great for teaching kids to drive. My daughter drove our golf cart in the neighborhood for years. When she was 14 I started letting her drive my F250 on 501 between Forest and Sylvarena. She was a pro by the time she turned 16.

Digging dog

Aug 22, 2012
I failed.

My wife taught our 2 daughters to drive in a school parking lot.

I didn’t have the nerve or patience.

youngest daughter is 24 and I am still uneasy riding with her

Reactions: msugrad2003

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
Golf cart…

Golf carts are great for teaching kids to drive. My daughter drove our golf cart in the neighborhood for years. When she was 14 I started letting her drive my F250 on 501 between Forest and Sylvarena.
Reading this thread has made me wonder if participation in sports might have an advantage in terms of driving. Sports helps you learn about spatial relationships, quick decision-making, quick reflexes, monitoring what others are doing and anticipating their moves, following rules, and interacting in a consistent manner. Do any of ya'll think that participating in sports correlates to good driving skills?
No, but driving lawn mowers, tractors, and mini-bikes helps. Most kids don’t have the opportunities we were provided. Too much subdivision living.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I don't think you're wrong in saying they can't drive, but I'd add that they have the potential to be able to drive, it's just that they can't be bothered to make driving their first priority while... driving.
I agree with you.

There are exceptions to all general rules, and distractions are the cause of most car accidents.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login