I’ve never seen a QB attacked by the media like Dak

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Take the whole Miss State element out of the situation and ask, "What has he done?"

Reactions: eckie1

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
You can say he's the most important player on the most valuable sports franchise in the world.

Yep, happened to Danny White who actually made it to multiple NFC Championship games and most recently to Romo....anybody remember the ridiculousness overhyped coverage of him going on vacation or wearing his hat backwards. Comes with the territory of being the QB of the Dallas Cowboys. You gotta win a SB to shut them up.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Take the whole Miss State element out of the situation and ask, "What has he done?"
He’s been a good QB. He has not won a Super Bowl but seems like that belongs to Mahomes, Brady and Manning over the last decade or so.

I got no problem with him being labeled an above average QB because that is probably accurate. But he’s the media’s whipping boy this year for sure.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Romo got a lot of hat too, especially from those in Dallas. If you're the entrenched Dallas QB, you're expected to win the SB.
which is funny because Dallas hasn’t been to the NFC championship game since 1995-96. In fact, Dak’s three divisional round appearances in seven years is the best playoff run for the Cowboys since the mid-90s.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I agree with the consensus. It's more to do with being the Cowboys QB as opposed to any actual Dak hate. The Cowboys are the most valuable franchise in sports and any headline or sound byte with Cowboys or Dak gets attention, especially when it's negative.

MStateDawg

Aug 3, 2021

I’ve never seen a QB attacked by the media like Dak​

It's a Dallas QB thing. Being QB there is the brightest position in all of American sports. Look at Tony Romo. An undrafted Hispanic QB from a small FCS school that sat on Dallas's practice squad for a couple of years before getting a chance to play. By all accounts he's a great guy and a great teammate who always had a smile on his face. His story what movies are made about and yet he was constantly bashed by the media and "hated" by other NFL fans. It was perplexing.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
In previous years I don’t think it was as warranted, but Dak did have one of his worst seasons as a pro last year and their division rival in Philly is amassing arguably the best roster in football. NYG and Washington are getting better too. It’s a much tougher division than it was a couple of years ago.

He had a great 2021 coming off the ankle injury but took a step back last year. Maybe some of it was the thumb injury he suffered early in the year. Either way, he’s got some things to prove this year.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Romo got absolutely hammered in the media too. It was ridiculous but it comes with the territory. I remember the media blaming him for a 51-48 loss one season. The offense put up 48 points. And lost the game. Somehow it was Romo's fault, not the atrocious defense. Go figure.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
which is funny because Dallas hasn’t been to the NFC championship game since 1995-96. In fact, Dak’s three divisional round appearances in seven years is the best playoff run for the Cowboys since the mid-90s.

Please tell me something I don't know. I think today's crowd might call it Cowboy privilege.

Reactions: eckie1

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Had one of the greatest rookie seasons of any quarterback in the history of the league.
Took his team to 4 playoff appearances out of his 6 seasons.
Won his division 3 out of his 6 seasons.
Went to two Pro Bowls.
Retired Tom Brady.
Had one bad season where he suffered a serious injury but still returned to take his team to the playoffs and win a playoff game.
Was Walter Payton man of the year.

The only thing he hasn't done is progress past the divisional round.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
It's a Dallas QB thing. Being QB there is the brightest position in all of American sports. Look at Tony Romo. An undrafted Hispanic QB from a small FCS school that sat on Dallas's practice squad for a couple of years before getting a chance to play. By all accounts he's a great guy and a great teammate who always had a smile on his face. His story what movies are made about and yet he was constantly bashed by the media and "hated" by other NFL fans. It was perplexing.

He was hated by half the Cowboys fans which was absolutely ridiculous. You have to win at least one or you are irrelevant in Cowboys QB history. Unfortunately there are a lot of irrelevant Cowboys QBs that have won a lot of games and put up monster stats but it just doesn't matter in Dallas.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Had one of the greatest rookie seasons of any quarterback in the history of the league.
Went to two Pro Bowls.
Retired Tom Brady.
Had one bad season where he suffered a serious injury but still returned to take his team to the playoffs and win a playoff game.

He would be a feel good story on 20+ franchises in the NFL. Unfortunately all those things don't matter in Dallas. Similar to Bama fans they could care less about anything other than SEC championships and Natties. There was a time when they had some droughts but it still didn't change what they really cared about.

Reactions: Dawgg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Being the Dallas Cowboys quarterback is a two edged sword. On one side, it gets you fame and notoriety that you wouldn’t get if you were the quarterback of almost any other franchise. Dak wouldn’t have near the endorsements and national recognition if he was putting up the same stats and having the same success with the Seahawks, or Vikings, or Titans. But with that notoriety comes intense media scrutiny. He is going to get picked apart in the national media simply because he is the Cowboys quarterback. It’s part of the deal.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
Each morning there is a new headline with some outlet going after him. He put his foot in his mouth with the 10 interceptions comment but seriously, what gives?
Ha! This is why I have zero Sympathy for all Dallas fans. They really are as Bamaesque as they come. They don't understand why they can't win the SB every year w/ CD Lamb as their # 1 wr (and in the toughest division in the NFL). Hell, they completely backed in to DP. Long Live Jerry Jones.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
What is great about Dak is he has the personality/intestinal fortitude or whatever they call, to handle the garbage and stay focused on being the best he can be. He's still smiling and grinding.

He may not be a Mahomes, but Dak has definitely made the most of his situation in Dallas, in spite of Jerruh and the moronic team management. Love for Dak to win a SB one day, but not for Jerruh.

Reactions: jwtorch

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
He has been a starting NFL QB for seven years and made over $100M + a lot of endorsements deals and has stayed out of trouble. Other than that just another college athlete.
My point is we look at it as Dak fans not Cowboy fans. If I was just a Cowboy fan, what has he done for my team.? Yeah he's made a lot of money. Yeah he has brought attention to Miss State but in seven years how many playoff games has he won? I am not a cowboy fan, but I am a Dak fan. I hope he keeps on making money, but I can see why the media is all over him.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Went to two Pro Bowls.
Retired Tom Brady.

I am not on Dak. I hope he succeeds but if I was just a Cowboy fan what has he done for the Cowboys? I know a lot of people from Dallas because of my job and they love Dak but they are growing impatient. It's all about winning playoff games and winning the Super Bowl.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Over the time that Dak has been there you have a downgrade at OC (starting this year), downgrades at OL, downgrades at WR, downgrades with the RBs, but hey let's blame all the problems on Dak. I would love to see what Dak could do if the Cowboys put around him what Hurts has in Philadelphia.

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Playoff success matters. He doesn't have any. Until he does, he's mid. Those are the rules. Best of luck to him.
Don't agree with this. Was Dan Marino mid? Archie Manning? You can be a very good quarterback and get stuck on mid to bad teams.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Its been over a quarter century since Dallas won an SB.
The fact that a fanbase expects SBs is as delusional as anything that exists for college sports fanbases.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
Over the time that Dak has been there you have a downgrade at OC (starting this year), downgrades at OL, downgrades at WR, downgrades with the RBs, but hey let's blame all the problems on Dak. I would love to see what Dak could do if the Cowboys put around him what Hurts has in Philadelphia.
Hurts is a damn good QB, but the iggles would be fire with Dak because he's a stronger leader. He would have willed a Super Bowl win already. And the Eagles have a legit front office team - without all the inbreeding - and JL stays the hell out of their way.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Each morning there is a new headline with some outlet going after him. He put his foot in his mouth with the 10 interceptions comment but seriously, what gives?
Troy Aikman threw over 19 TDs in a season one time, averaged over 10 int per season for his career, threw less than 10 int in a season only 3 times, but Dak sure does suck.

LordMcBuckethead

Sep 30, 2022
Maybe if Elliott could run for more than 3 yards.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
DALLAS IS THE SOAP OPERA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD - 50 YEARS AND GOING STRONGGGG

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Playoff success matters. He doesn't have any. Until he does, he's mid. Those are the rules. Best of luck to him.

Congrats to Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Nick Foles on their newly acquired “elite QB” status.

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
DALLAS IS THE SOAP OPERA CAPITAL OF THE WORLD - 50 YEARS AND GOING STRONGGGG
Right? This is the same group of Geni that passed on Jarvis Landry and Devante Adams.....hell I'll throw in Allen Robinson from the same draft.

Reactions: onewoof

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Troy Aikman threw over 19 TDs in a season one time, averaged over 10 int per season for his career, threw less than 10 int in a season only 3 times, but Dak sure does suck.
You really can’t compare quarterbacks from the 90s to quarterbacks now. The offenses have gotten so much more sophisticated and pass oriented. Also, rule changes have gone to benefit the offenses. If Troy Aikman played now, he’d be throwing more than 30TD passes per season just like many of the other quarterbacks do now.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Don't agree with this. Was Dan Marino mid? Archie Manning? You can be a very good quarterback and get stuck on mid to bad teams.
Archie Manning was mid at best. Look at his NFL stats. He threw 50 more interceptions than touchdown passes in his career and completed 55% of his passes. Even in the 70s, that wasn’t good. Great college QB but just meh in the NFL. Marino was putting up video game stats in the 80s. His stats were so far and away better than anyone else was doing back then. That is what cements his greatness. He was putting up stats that would hold up well today nearly 40 years ago. Since 2008, the 5,000 yard single season passing mark has been reached 14 times. Before 2008, it was done once, by Dan Marino in 1984.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
You really can’t compare quarterbacks from the 90s to quarterbacks now. The offenses have gotten so much more sophisticated and pass oriented. Also, rule changes have gone to benefit the offenses. If Troy Aikman played now, he’d be throwing more than 30TD passes per season just like many of the other quarterbacks do now.
What about the int's? Was it easier to throw an int in 1990 or is he just not that good at protecting the ball. And I get the passing differences, but he had Michael Irvin on his team, plus teams crowding the box to stop Emmitt. His stats should have been much better.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I am not on Dak. I hope he succeeds but if I was just a Cowboy fan what has he done for the Cowboys? I know a lot of people from Dallas because of my job and they love Dak but they are growing impatient. It's all about winning playoff games and winning the Super Bowl.
I think it's obviously clear that it's the team around Dak (and management/coaching) holding the team back more than Dak. Is he elite? No. I've often been one of his critics. But if you make a list of things wrong with Dallas, he's not near the top.

Super Bowl Champions. That's what he would do. Pretty much anybody would do that assuming they can throw decently (by NFL standards). I could name numerous NFL QBs who would have a ring right now had they been on the Eagles roster last year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login