I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, college bball is painful to watch.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t know much about basketball. But I’ve been paying much more attention to NFL the past 2 years and pro is definitely superior when it comes to TV and definitely in-person watching.

Assume basketball is similar.

Reactions: Armchair QB.sixpack

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Back in the 90s and 2000s I could name at least 2 starters on just about every SEC team and that was when the Jackson stations didn’t even show the Wednesday JP game if it didn’t involve State or Ole Miss.

Nowadays I couldn’t tell you one player for any team other than ours. It’s just not a fun sport anymore. The athletes can jump out of the gym but hardly any can dribble or pass the damn ball.

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
I got fed up and watched the Pelicans 4th quarter. What a ballgame! Zion was incredible. Night and day compared to our ****fest.

Reactions: lutedog

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's scrimmage. Honestly I'm just happy we hit 9 three pointers.

And that might be the worst game of Tolu's career.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Back in the 90s and 2000s I could name at least 2 starters on just about every SEC team and that was when the Jackson stations didn’t even show the Wednesday JP game if it didn’t involve State or Ole Miss.

Nowadays I couldn’t tell you one player for any team other than ours. It’s just not a fun sport anymore. The athletes can jump out of the gym but hardly any can dribble or pass the damn ball.
Violin Player GIF

Palos verdes

Aug 22, 2012
Basketball to me isn't as good as it was 20 years ago. Doesn't feel like the same sport it was
It's mostly pure athletes now that have no feel shooting the ball. No matter how much they play they never improve.

Alabama has somehow found a collection of players, however.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
And if not just because of the way State is playing. Even the good games are snoozefests.
Anyone worth a **** is gone after their soph year.
I know the NBA sucks with all the politics, but comparing the NBA game to college, is night and day. especially if you watch a game in person.

Last edited:

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Anyone worth a **** is gone after their soph year.
I know the NBA sucks with all the politics, but comparing the NBA game to college, is night and day. especially if you watch a game in person.
There’s very little politics in the NBA outside of Lebron James whiney arse.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
There’s very little politics in the NBA outside of Lebron James whiney arse.

I was at the gym earlier this morning, and I noticed on the TV some NBA highlights of a team that had rainbow colors on its jerseys.

The Denver Nuggets: https://www.9news.com/article/sport...ersey/73-8acf74c9-c140-4193-8ea5-2477780e94ae

Here's a quote from the linked article: "The Nuggets say the uniform is 'a celebration of the people and neighborhoods that make Mile High Basketball and Denver unique.'"

In my opinion, that qualifies as political.

And there's more examples . . . but I'll stop there for now.

Many professional sports leagues make political statements and display political statements/symbols at their games and events. Simply, that's where we are today.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I was at the gym earlier this morning, and I noticed on the TV some NBA highlights of a team that had rainbow colors on its jerseys.

The Denver Nuggets: https://www.9news.com/article/sport...ersey/73-8acf74c9-c140-4193-8ea5-2477780e94ae

Here's a quote from the linked article: "The Nuggets say the uniform is 'a celebration of the people and neighborhoods that make Mile High Basketball and Denver unique.'"

Many professional sports leagues make political statements and display political statements/symbols at their games and events. Simply, that's where we are today.
Looks like a marketing ploy to me. That jersey has been around forever.

1672324615547.jpeg

Reactions: Dawgg

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
NBA is such a better product. I know all the reasons why. Most of the skilled players come from Europe now where they have developmental programs vs AAU.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
Tolu was fouled on every shot.. now his problem is he can make 60% of his free throws--we probably win if he does. somebody needsto help Him find a stroke at the charity stripe. Bama is just a better team. I couldn't give two 17s about the NBA.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t know much about basketball. But I’ve been paying much more attention to NFL the past 2 years and pro is definitely superior when it comes to TV and definitely in-person watching.

Assume basketball is similar.
I don’t really watch NBA or college basketball so I can’t really speak to that… but you’re absolutely right in the NFL is 1000 times better to watch than college football. I enjoy college football a lot but have always been more about NFL. There are bad teams in the NFL for sure but they can still beat you or give even the best teams a good game… see Texans vs chiefs a few weeks ago or Texans vs Dallas. I don’t know if someone like Georgia could play bad enough to lose to Vanderbilt.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

grimedawg1

Aug 25, 2012

Nowadays I couldn’t tell you one player for any team other than ours. It’s just not a fun sport anymore. The athletes can jump out of the gym but hardly any can dribble or pass the damn ball
The athletes are really good. But, they just have almost no feel for the game. When and where to cut, how to feed the post, pull up versus run over a defender, and shooting, my goodness. Some of these guys have the absolute worst looking shots in the world. They give themselves almost no chance for the ball to go in....... It is so frustrating to watch.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006

Celebrating people and things that are unique to the Denver area is somehow “political” to you?

That is now firmly in the running for the dumbest thing ever said on this board.

I swear, some of you guys bend over backwards looking for things to have a problem with.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

Stay woke fam

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Celebrating people and things that are unique to the Denver area is somehow “political” to you?

That is now firmly in the running for the dumbest thing ever said on this board.

I swear, some of you guys bend over backwards looking for things to have a problem with.

I'm so sorry to disappoint you.

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
There’s just as many if not more skilled American players as European.
You are correct. My wording on that point was poor. The European system creates better skilled players at a higher percentage of highly skilled players than the AAU system. The US has a glut of physically talented players with underdeveloped skills. College basketball is where most of those players with underdeveloped skills end up. The product is a game with no flow and a lot of missed shots.

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
You are correct. My wording on that point was poor. The European system creates better skilled players at a higher percentage of highly skilled players than the AAU system. The US has a glut of physically talented players with underdeveloped skills. College basketball is where most of those players with underdeveloped skills end up. The product is a game with no flow and a lot of missed shots.
Unfortunately, the AAU and prep school circuits in the US are centered much more around how much $$$ a coach/handler can make off a kid rather than how they can help develop them. It’s a completely broken system, and the vast majority of these guys don’t get any kind of genuine coaching until college

Reactions: patdog
Sep 15, 2009
I may have said this on here before, but foul rules kill the game, and make no logical sense. Hear me out. The foul in basketball actually carries three penalties, and kills the flow of the game.

1. An assessed foul against the player (which leads to disqualification after 5).
2. A free throw penalty.
3. An assessed foul against the team (which leads to more free throws).

If a foul is called on a shot, free throws should only be awarded if the player actually misses the shot. If the shot goes in, the assessed foul against the player should be a sufficient penalty without the need to add an extra point to the play (a 3 the hard way, as they say) and stop the game. The threat of being disqualified should be a sufficient deterrent from continuous fouling. The time taken to stop the game for free throws is actually longer than the commercial breaks. That's a whole other discussion about how much time is wasted shooting 2 free throws. It's insane. But I digress.

Reactions: FQDawg

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I may have said this on here before, but foul rules kill the game, and make no logical sense. Hear me out. The foul in basketball actually carries three penalties, and kills the flow of the game.

1. An assessed foul against the player (which leads to disqualification after 5).
2. A free throw penalty.
3. An assessed foul against the team (which leads to more free throws).

If a foul is called on a shot, free throws should only be awarded if the player actually misses the shot. If the shot goes in, the assessed foul against the player should be a sufficient penalty without the need to add an extra point to the play (a 3 the hard way, as they say) and stop the game. The threat of being disqualified should be a sufficient deterrent from continuous fouling. The time taken to stop the game for free throws is actually longer than the commercial breaks. That's a whole other discussion about how much time is wasted shooting 2 free throws. It's insane. But I digress.

Interesting.

How about this? When a player commits a foul, said player must sit out for 2 minutes of game time. And the game is stopped for 15 seconds only to send the player to the bench and put in a sub.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
And if not just because of the way State is playing. Even the good games are snoozefests.
For a while I thought I must be losing my fandom. I haven’t watched more than 5 minutes of a game in the last 3 years. Then I realized I have watched more State softball, soccer, and volleyball in the past year than basketball. The combination of the sport and the predictable outcome has left me completely uninterested in college basketball outside of March Madness. Even then I only like watching the underdogs. Once the favorites are in the final four I stop watching that as well.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login