I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, college bball is painful to watch.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
It's a street ball fest, unfortunately. Sitting here tonight in the Hump, I am seeing what I can see on any playground.

Also, ball handling has become scary. Fundamentals have gone bye-bye.
Yeah and if they called "palming" or "carrying" these kids wouldn't make it past half court. I'll watch State play but I have little interest in watching anyone else and I wasn't always like that. I'm a purist and there is nothing pure about today's game. Don't even get me started on the NBA.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I may have said this on here before, but foul rules kill the game, and make no logical sense. Hear me out. The foul in basketball actually carries three penalties, and kills the flow of the game.

1. An assessed foul against the player (which leads to disqualification after 5).
2. A free throw penalty.
3. An assessed foul against the team (which leads to more free throws).

If a foul is called on a shot, free throws should only be awarded if the player actually misses the shot. If the shot goes in, the assessed foul against the player should be a sufficient penalty without the need to add an extra point to the play (a 3 the hard way, as they say) and stop the game. The threat of being disqualified should be a sufficient deterrent from continuous fouling. The time taken to stop the game for free throws is actually longer than the commercial breaks. That's a whole other discussion about how much time is wasted shooting 2 free throws. It's insane. But I digress.
Why don’t we just award one point for a non-shooting foul? Two or three points for a shooting foul, accordingly. If the shot goes in on a foul, award the “and one.”

No stoppage for free throws. Ever. No team fouls. No player foul outs.

As I typed this, I was joking. But, these rules would probably make Msstate a final four contender this year.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login