I attended the game in Arizona

KingBarkus

May 1, 2006
My thoughts:

1. Quaint stadium. I wish they would go back to grass. Parking weird. No signage. My brother and I found a lot in a medical complex and parked free.

2. I didn’t know if I was at a stadium or the club. Pounding music all night.

3. Locals kept to themselves but were nice to us.

4. The talent walking around was unreal. My word. I came away thinking “checkmate atheists!”

5. Weird game. Everyone knew we were the better team but we do some incredibly dumb things. Leach had 2 come-to-Jesus meetings with the offense during the game.

6. The Arizona defense didn’t quit. I’ll give them that.
I like how we came out running but I wanted to see more passes to the flats in the second half. Obviously we worked the middle well.

7. Good receiver talent. Competition is good. I’m impressed with Ducking.

8. Lost my shite after some of the goal line calls. I thought we could have run more. There were some uncalled PI’s imo.

9. Marks. This guy is on the Kylan Hill injury plan. I’m sick of this guy laying on the field, carried off, into the tent, and he plays the next series. I’ve named him Lazarus.

10. Funny play that resulted in offsetting personal fouls. One of our OLine guys pancaked an Arizona guy and just layed on him and would not move. One of the Arizona Db’s saw the whole thing and cheap shotted our guy trying to get him off his teammate. It was funny as hell.

11. Long drive back to Phoenix. I drove to Vegas yesterday and will be spending the week in Vegas. WhoDat. On to Baton Rouge.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
4. The talent walking around was unreal. My word. I came away thinking “checkmate atheists!”

They are full of Cal kids that wants to party away
from home and USC/UCLA/Stanford rejects. Definitely loaded with talent.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
My thoughts:

1. Quaint stadium. I wish they would go back to grass. Parking weird. No signage. My brother and I found a lot in a medical complex and parked free.

5. Weird game. Everyone knew we were the better team but we do some incredibly dumb things. Leach had 2 come-to-Jesus meetings with the offense during the game.

I like how we came out running but I wanted to see more passes to the flats in the second half. Obviously we worked the middle well.

8. Lost my shite after some of the goal line calls. I thought we could have run more. There were some uncalled PI’s imo.

9. Marks. This guy is on the Kylan Hill injury plan. I’m sick of this guy laying on the field, carried off, into the tent, and he plays the next series. I’ve named him Lazarus.

10. Funny play that resulted in offsetting personal fouls. One of our OLine guys pancaked an Arizona guy and just layed on him and would not move. One of the Arizona Db’s saw the whole thing and cheap shotted our guy trying to get him off his teammate. It was funny as hell.

11. Long drive back to Phoenix. I drove to Vegas yesterday and will be spending the week in Vegas. WhoDat. On to Baton Rouge.

Tucson only gets about 10 inches of rain a year - not amenable to growing grass. So a turf field is probably right for them.

I drove from Vegas to Phoenix one time and thought the trip would never end. The highways were in OK condition but, at the time at least, were all two-lane. Got to see the countryside though, and that was a treat. I did a lot of work in Yuma so got to see most of the state quite well. Phoenix to Yuma is quite a trek as well.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011

Sounds a little like Ole Miss, picking up kids from Texas, Georgia, and even Alabama that couldn't get into their respective state schools.

Feb 18, 2014
My thoughts:

My thoughts exactly. Weird vibe but enjoyable town and campus. Guy sitting in front of me said "the brokest person in Tucson is a bra salesman" He was not wrong. No dresses. Just crop tops, shorts, and skirts. Some wore tops that were less than a crop top. I have no idea what they are called.

Last edited:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Marks runs hard and gets popped a good bit. Heard to fault him for that.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
My thoughts exactly. Weird vibe but enjoyable town and campus. Guy sitting in front of me said "the brokest person in Tucson is a bra salesman" He was not wrong. No dresses. Just crop tops, shorts, and skirts. Some wore tops that were less than a crop top. I have no idea what they are called.

Nothing wrong with that and should be encouraged. Overdressing is uncomfortable in such a hot climate.

I've heard that Tuscon (and Albuquerque) are rather dangerous town. Maybe not to the level of Birmingham and Memphis, but still risky. Don't know if that's true or not - only been to Tuscon once and spent the entire time in the airport.

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
Marks runs hard and gets popped a good bit. Heard to fault him for that.

Yeah, he's not in the same "injury" class as Kylin Hill was. I really like Ducking. And the "duck waddle" (that looks more like a penguin walk) is cool and not overdone.

Feb 18, 2014
I was told Tucson is called "dirty T" by Phoenix residents. I didn't feel unsafe at all, but my activities were pretty much confined to visiting, breweries, restaurants, and campus.

SpeckTaker

Nov 1, 2012
It appeared that we didn’t have the right shoes for the turf. Multiple slip, trips and falls all night

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
You nailed a lot of the same thoughts I had.

Talent was good.
Parking was so confusing.
Stadium acoustics were absolute garbage. The "DJ" they had emcee'ing the thing... that must be a west coast thing.
I was surprised to see Leach run so much in the first half, but it was working. And then to see him not do it in the redzone... was strange.
The folks sitting by me were all super nice. I had my 5 and 7 year old with me and we had no issues at all with anyone. Good folks.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
#1: The stadium looked like a conglomerate of the 3 Mississippi FBS stadiums. The west and south sides looked like Ole Miss' west and north endzone. The east side looked a lot like our west side (without the pressbox) and the north endzone looked like USM's south endzone. Parking and egress from campus was easy. $10 about 1.5 blocks from the stadium.

#2: My God that was annoying! The constant blaring of the mic'd up band, the piped-in music turned up to 11 and the red head yelling so loud during her segments that her mic would cut out was enough to make your ears bleed. It also sounded like they only had two speakers in the stadium and they were not tuned to work with the sound delay. It turned in to a valley of echoes where you couldnt understand a word.
They also repeatedly kept the PA noise blaring more often than not after we were lined up over the ball ready to snap it. The SEC would make bank off of us if we used cowbells like that.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
My thoughts:

In the words of the Kang "7 has an ankle"

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I also think he finds space better. There were a few plays we missed the grass and ran right in the back of the linemen

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
My thoughts:

Don't use your credit card at the Chicken Ranch.

ChinaDogSunflower

Aug 26, 2012
What I saw on the tv was some premium+ talent. Glad to know they didn't just have a top heavy roster that got all the air time.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson only gets about 10 inches of rain a year - not amenable to growing grass. So a turf field is probably right for them.

I thought MSU had one of their turfgrasses at the Arizona D-Backs stadium

trob115

Jul 5, 2011
I used to drive to Yuma frequently from Vicksburg for work. Phoenix to Yuma seems like nothing but sand and random irrigated farms with pivots.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
The stadium PA system was insanely loud.....

My thoughts:

On third down they blared an obnoxious siren-like noise at about a million decibels and sustained it until a second or two before the snap.

Definitely a different dress code among the students than you will find in the SEC.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Artifcial noise

I was wondering about the sirens , was loud on tv too.
Guess they banned cowbells though.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's pretty common with girls at a lot of college campuses these days.

I drop my wife off several days a week at a college campus where she works. That's mostly what I see the college girls wearing is crop tops or less and several of them see through. No way I could concentrate if I was a guy in college these days. It was hard enough back in the day.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
You nailed a lot of the same thoughts I had.

Talent was good.
Parking was so confusing.
Stadium acoustics were absolute garbage. The "DJ" they had emcee'ing the thing... that must be a west coast thing.
I was surprised to see Leach run so much in the first half, but it was working. And then to see him not do it in the redzone... was strange.
The folks sitting by me were all super nice. I had my 5 and 7 year old with me and we had no issues at all with anyone. Good folks.
Same here - the AZ fans around us were super nice. I can’t speak to parking because we UBERed everywhere. The worst Mexican food we ate was 10 times better than anything I’ve ever eaten in MS. The breakfast at the Baja Cafe was so good we ate there 3-times. Also learned of a new app - Swimply. There were 4 of us and one of my buddies rented a pool from a homeowner for 3-hours on Saturday, which was kinda weird for 10-mins, but we ended up having a blast. We also became regulars at the Tap and Bottle downtown. Really fun trip and we already are planning for the ASU game in Phoenix in 2024.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Same here - the AZ fans around us were super nice. I can’t speak to parking because we UBERed everywhere. The worst Mexican food we ate was 10 times better than anything I’ve ever eaten in MS. The breakfast at the Baja Cafe was so good we ate there 3-times. Also learned of a new app - Swimply. There were 4 of us and one of my buddies rented a pool from a homeowner for 3-hours on Saturday, which was kinda weird for 10-mins, but we ended up having a blast. We also became regulars at the Tap and Bottle downtown. Really fun trip and we already are planning for the ASU game in Phoenix in 2024.

That's because Mexican food in MS sucks and I wouldn't really call it Mexican food. I used to always tell my California colleagues when they went to MS don't get Mexican food especially tacos. They would just be disappointed

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
That's pretty common with girls at a lot of college campuses these days.

I drop my wife off several days a week at a college campus where she works. That's mostly what I see the college girls wearing is crop tops or less and several of them see through. No way I could concentrate if I was a guy in college these days. It was hard enough back in the day.

That's what she said!

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015

Believe it or not, if you go to Arizona State, in the future that talent is a notch higher. Years ago the Arizona State cheerleaders had to get reeled in by the University for their public sexiness. Arizona does not like being out done by Arizona State at anything especially that?

coachnorm

Jul 23, 2015

Natalie Nelson USC.jpg

They hated her in Arizona.

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Just an honest question, why would Mexican restaurants owned by Mexicans, staffed by Mexicans with Mexican kitchen staff, make food that "sucks" and "wouldn't really be Mexican food"? That sounds like a failure waiting to happen yet there are hundreds and hundreds of them all over the state. Are MS Mexicans different from other Mexicans?

Last edited:

notoriousD_O_G

Apr 1, 2013
Just an honest question, why would Mexican restaurants owned by Mexicans, staffed by Mexicans with Mexican kitchen staff, make food that "sucks" and "wouldn't really be Mexican food"? That sounds like a failure waiting to happen yet there are hundreds and hundreds of them all over the state. Are MS Mexicans different from other Mexicans?

I wouldn't say sucks I would just say different. People in MS like chicken and rice with queso and americanized versions of Mexican food which is fine. The taco places I ate in Tucson served beef, shrimp, goat, or chicken in a corn tortilla with cabbage on it. They had salsas that were completely different than what they serve in MS. They were the best tacos I had ever eaten but a lot of people here would be pissed if they ordered tacos and got that.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Why is that? MS has genuine mexicans too don't they?

That's because Mexican food in MS sucks and I wouldn't really call it Mexican food. I used to always tell my California colleagues when they went to MS don't get Mexican food especially tacos. They would just be disappointed

nm

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
And he always falls forward (or dives forward) for that extra yard or 3. Reminds me of Zo.

PuebloDawg

Sep 29, 2021
I actually had this exact conversation with an owner of a long time Mexican restaurant in the Jackson metro area. He was born in US while his parents were Mexican. Originally, they found the Americans didn’t prefer true Mexican so they made garbage Tex Mex or MS Mex. I asked him, well now that you’re in charge, you gonna start making authentic tacos and other items? No. We will go bankrupt because our customers will complain about not having the old stuff. And if we add the authentic stuff, menu will be too big…etc.

So the reason why Mexican food sucks in Mississippi is because of white and black Mississippians. Not Mexicans that live in Mississippi.

We have the same issue in Greenwood. We have 4 Mexican restaurants in Greenwood. Only one is authentic and it is AMAZING. But the least amount of people go there because it’s slightly pricier. Btw, the other 3 Mexican restaurants are complete garbage.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
...No. We will go bankrupt because our customers will complain about not having the old stuff. And if we add the authentic stuff, menu will be too big…etc.

So the reason why Mexican food sucks in Mississippi is because of white and black Mississippians. Not Mexicans that live in Mississippi...

Wait a minute. You're saying that Mississippians are resistant to change and hate trying out new things?

Who knew? **

BulldogBillyCrash

Oct 31, 2019
Glad the "walk around" talent was good, cause this is what we got to see:

View attachment 25255

Posted up at No Anchovies before the game on their university drive so it was a good bird watching location and I must say the talent was as stated. Along with the fact 80 percent of them wore this little tube top in either red, white, or blue. It was glorious and almost patriotic

Feb 18, 2014
I second the Baja Cafe. It was awesome. We must have made a poor choice of restaurant or had some miscommunication when I ordered because I was thoroughly unimpressed with the Mexican food I had.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Correct. Tacos served in ms restaurants is like eating more expensive Taco Bell. And others are right most ms people don't know what real Mexican food is or even real Tex Mex for that matter. They think el sombrero el patrillo and papitos are awesome.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login