I attended the game in Arizona

drummerdawg

Mar 14, 2013
I actually had this exact conversation with an owner of a long time Mexican restaurant in the Jackson metro area. He was born in US while his parents were Mexican. Originally, they found the Americans didn’t prefer true Mexican so they made garbage Tex Mex or MS Mex. I asked him, well now that you’re in charge, you gonna start making authentic tacos and other items? No. We will go bankrupt because our customers will complain about not having the old stuff. And if we add the authentic stuff, menu will be too big…etc.

So the reason why Mexican food sucks in Mississippi is because of white and black Mississippians. Not Mexicans that live in Mississippi.

We have the same issue in Greenwood. We have 4 Mexican restaurants in Greenwood. Only one is authentic and it is AMAZING. But the least amount of people go there because it’s slightly pricier. Btw, the other 3 Mexican restaurants are complete garbage.

San Miguel is legit. They just don't have much variety on the menu and the location isn't ideal. But, I did hear they're moving to Highland Park soon, so maybe that will be better for business and they can grow their menu. Hands down the best taco place around. The others aren't authentic, but they're not bad for what they are. Good friends of ours family owns La Terraza.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
That's because Mexican food in MS sucks and I wouldn't really call it Mexican food. I used to always tell my California colleagues when they went to MS don't get Mexican food especially tacos. They would just be disappointed
An interesting tidbit: Tuscon is the only UNESCO City of Gastronomy in the United States, whatever that is. I've never been there.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Taqueria de Guadalupe in Madison is solid. It is right across the street from a Taco Bell. Every time I eat there I see people at Taco Bell and really can't believe that people actually go there at all, much less when there is a good Taqueria right across the street.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I actually had this exact conversation with an owner of a long time Mexican restaurant in the Jackson metro area. He was born in US while his parents were Mexican. Originally, they found the Americans didn’t prefer true Mexican so they made garbage Tex Mex or MS Mex. I asked him, well now that you’re in charge, you gonna start making authentic tacos and other items? No. We will go bankrupt because our customers will complain about not having the old stuff. And if we add the authentic stuff, menu will be too big…etc.

So the reason why Mexican food sucks in Mississippi is because of white and black Mississippians. Not Mexicans that live in Mississippi.

We have the same issue in Greenwood. We have 4 Mexican restaurants in Greenwood. Only one is authentic and it is AMAZING. But the least amount of people go there because it’s slightly pricier. Btw, the other 3 Mexican restaurants are complete garbage.
Sounds like the question is not really if good Mexican food is in Mississippi. We know that it is, just few and far between. The issue is that most Mississippians prefer garbage. Mainly because most Mississippians are poorer.

I suspect the reason there is better Mexican food in AZ, TX, really ANYWHERE....is that people will pay for it.

The problem that Mississippi has is that we want to have our cake and eat it too. Instead of just eating small amounts of garbage to get by on a tight budget, we eat piles of it, resulting in the obesity we all see on a day to day basis.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Sounds like the question is not really if good Mexican food is in Mississippi. We know that it is, just few and far between. The issue is that most Mississippians prefer garbage. Mainly because most Mississippians are poorer.

I suspect the reason there is better Mexican food in AZ, TX, really ANYWHERE....is that people will pay for it.

The problem that Mississippi has is that we want to have our cake and eat it too. Instead of just eating small amounts of garbage to get by on a tight budget, we eat piles of it, resulting in the obesity we all see on a day to day basis.

The only time I was ever in Mexico, deep down in the Baja, the food was nothing like what we have in Mississippi. What passes as Mexican food here, and in most of the US, is actually border food. The closer to the border, the better it is, naturally.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login