I believe people will support what I saw on the court tonight.....

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Good hustle. No standing or moving like dead lice was falling off of them.

Marginal perimeter shooting but very physical on both ends.

Certainly wasn't challenged like we will be in the near future but I was impressed last night.

If we can just prove that we can break a press I think we have a product we can get behind.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009

Certainly wasn't challenged like we will be in the near future but I was impressed last night.

If we can just prove that we can break a press I think we have a product we can get behind.
I agree, we were there and it’s fun to watch. Jan’s is the real deal, I’d like a clone for football.

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
Completely agree. There is no lazy in this team. Unselfish play. Playing actual defense. No breakdown into backyard basketball.

Im thinking this team could get a decent tournament seed this season.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
If the defensive intensity doesn’t lapse, some good things will happen. I see lots of games in the 50s.

South Dakota had the right game plan just not enough talent. Teams are going to double Tolu, clog the paint and hope our guys continue to throw up bricks.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Completely agree. There is no lazy in this team. Unselfish play. Playing actual defense. No breakdown into backyard basketball.

I mean last night we completely overwhelmed that team which was the kind of team we have historically struggled with in the early season. That being a team that might be outmatched physically but can shoot the three very well. It felt good to see State come out there and just impose their will on a team instead of letting them slow things down and kill us behind the arc.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I have no idea if we will be successful or not this year, but that was the first game I managed to watch one of our games end to end in several seasons. It resembled actual basketball with a purpose. The defense was intense and the motion offense actually incorporates MOTION. Jans no doubt has us on the right track. He's going to win.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I had a hunch about this so I decided to look it up, and sure enough… we are 119th in FG% out of 352 teams. Top 33% in NCAA

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not at all saying that we don’t have an issue there, but I think it’s the same issue throughout most of college basketball these days. Shooting is just bad

On topic, though, my cautious optimism continues to grow with Jans and this team

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Bob Huggins has made a career out of these type of teams and when he does get offensive talent he generally goes pretty deep in the tournament.

Reactions: HailStateTate

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I had a hunch about this so I decided to look it up, and sure enough… we are 119th in FG% out of 352 teams. Top 33% in NCAA

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not at all saying that we don’t have an issue there, but I think it’s the same issue throughout most of college basketball these days. Shooting is just bad

On topic, though, my cautious optimism continues to grow with Jans and this team
Why is this? With such a premium put on it, seems like we'd be honing it at every level. Guess you either got it or you don't. This is coming from a guy with little true basketball knowledge so I'm genuinely asking.

I guess I equate it to how football now trains QBs to be mobile and be receivers instead of tailbacks now. Or pitchers with velo and hitters with launch angle. It's all coached so heavily, seems we'd produce more of it. But it still takes talent I suppose. With QBs, either you're accurate or you aren't. With pitchers/hitters, either you can locate/hit or you can't. Same with shooting I guess.

Reactions: HailDat

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
For the first time in a long time I'm excited to see them against better opponents. I really like what I see so far.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
They play hard and the defense looks tough. I hope it keeps up when they get into harder competitions.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Why wouldn't he? I mean I'm not projecting anything until I see how we do next week, but why is the Dance such a foreign possibility? We have talent.
I don't believe we have NCAA tournament talent, not yet anyway. I would love for them to prove me wrong over the next three months though.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007

Turnip seeds are small, round and purple in color. They look similar to #4 lead birdshot. Typically you plant them in late spring.. maybe a couple of weeks before the last frost. But honestly, I don't know why this team would be concerned with turnip see....

Wait.. you said TOURNAMENT seed?

• Haha
Reactions: Big Sheep81

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018

I’m with you on this. We improve our shooting w/that D & everyone stays fairly healthy, they’ll win a lot of games this season.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Go back before tonight. We can shoot. Just not a good night.
Game 1, first half was kinna tough but it appeared they had game one jitters and I believe Jans said as much post game as 2 half was much better that game. Jans said they shoot well in practice but game 1 first half and last nite, lotta points left out there. That #2 Horton, tho he may can shoot, man he got an ugly shot. Not tryna dis him, just sayin’.

Reactions: Anon1664848116

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Davis can shoot, still rehabbing his rolled ankle. DJ showed he can shoot too.
I'm pretty stoked about the team, knew Jans was a good coach but he has changed the mentality of the team. They seem very engaged and supportive for each other, recipe for wins.
SEC prediction of #9 for MSU needs to be reassessed. Thinking top 5.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Davis can shoot, still rehabbing his rolled ankle. DJ showed he can shoot too.
I'm pretty stoked about the team, knew Jans was a good coach but he has changed the mentality of the team. They seem very engaged and supportive for each other, recipe for wins.
SEC prediction of #9 for MSU needs to be reassessed. Thinking top 5.

After seeing the first 4 games of this season, assuming you have, you immediately say there’s no way we sniff a tournament seed this year?

What are you seeing?
Obviously a Chris Jans team is going to defend and rebound. We're doing those things very well so far. I like that he's going deep into his bench too because outside of Tolu, there's not an alpha on this team. But the shooting is a major concern. The history isn't there to back up the optimism.
Davis was 9-48 from three (18%) last year at Oregon State. His 5-6 start is encouraging, but he's got a lot to prove. DJ's three shooting has gotten worse each year. 39%>35%>29%. We need Memphis DJ, not Howland DJ. Shak's not proven to be a great shooter in 2+ years. Reed had good numbers at SEMO. Can he make shots with SEC defenders closing out instead of OVC defenders? Horton was OK at Albany. This ain't Albany.

I mean a .500 SEC record would be quite an accomplishment in year one. Top 5? Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn. Who are you taking out of that group to put us in the top five?

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don't believe we have NCAA tournament talent, not yet anyway. I would love for them to prove me wrong over the next three months though.

We also don’t have a schedule that has any room for error. We can’t really lose more than one nonconference game and have any chance whatsoever. If we lose both the Marquette and Minnesota games, you can go ahead and call it.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008
I think you’re getting too bogged down with 3 pt shooting. I know that’s the hot offense in todays game but That’s not what makes this team go. Their defensive pressure and scoring by slashing and around the rim along with buckets in transition is what this team thrives on. Now if you want to make an argument for making a deep run then yes you’d have to be able to have that. But we’ll make enough to keep the defense from sagging down low. And that’s the plan.

I see us as a 8-10 seed in the tourney and finishing around 7-8 in conference

engie

May 29, 2011
All I know is we’ve played 4 games and covered the spread four times without breaking a sweat. I think by an average of about 10points per game. Starting to be a decent trend stating we are a lot better than we were supposed to be. I know a couple of these guys look totally different than they did last year in a good way. Not sure how far this team takes us, but it’s starting to feel like one we can really get behind and not have the rug pulled every time we start to really buy in like almost every State basketball team for the last 15 years.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Tennessee and Texas A&M got pounded this week by a Colorado team that lost @ Grambling.

I'm really liking our NCAA tourney chances at this point. Not even a remote scare yet, on to Marquette.

preacher_dawg

Nov 12, 2014
Obviously a Chris Jans team is going to defend and rebound. We're doing those things very well so far. I like that he's going deep into his bench too because outside of Tolu, there's not an alpha on this team. But the shooting is a major concern. The history isn't there to back up the optimism.
Davis was 9-48 from three (18%) last year at Oregon State. His 5-6 start is encouraging, but he's got a lot to prove. DJ's three shooting has gotten worse each year. 39%>35%>29%. We need Memphis DJ, not Howland DJ. Shak's not proven to be a great shooter in 2+ years. Reed had good numbers at SEMO. Can he make shots with SEC defenders closing out instead of OVC defenders? Horton was OK at Albany. This ain't Albany.

I mean a .500 SEC record would be quite an accomplishment in year one. Top 5? Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas, Alabama, and Auburn. Who are you taking out of that group to put us in the top five?
Bama. I have no idea how good or bad their basketball team is this year. It just feels good to say that.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
We also don’t have a schedule that has any room for error. We can’t really lose more than one nonconference game and have any chance whatsoever. If we lose both the Marquette and Minnesota games, you can go ahead and call it.
With the exception of TCU (4th in the Big 12) and Marquette (9th in the Big East), all of the other non-SEC power conference opponents are picked at or near the bottom of their respective leagues.

That’s probably a good thing for a new coach, but it won’t help at tournament selection time.

Jans is a good fit for the kind of player that he can recruit at MSU. There will be plenty of scoring droughts, but defense and rebounding will keep them competitive most nights.

Reactions: BonzoGoesToCollege

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's been fun to watch them roll over weaker teams.

I don't think what we have seen is a good barometer for how we should expect he season to go. Tolu has yet to go up against anyone with high D skill and good size.

As for shooting, the team is as atrocious as ever. 30% from deep so far against weaker competition.
DJ is our best option so far and Cam Matthews is second. That can't be glossed over.
I hope Davis is legit from deep, but his full season last year doesn't give me confidence.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Anybody know how Jans' players while at NM State compare to the ones he inherited at STATE talent wise? I guessed he inherited more talent he's ever had access to in his life so that's why I predicted Sweet 16 or Bust but y'all ignored me. I'm sure those who did are quite ashamed of themeselves. :)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login