MISSISSIPI STATE FOOTBALL 2016-2020
2020 4-7 Armed Forces Bowl
2019 6-7 Music City BOwl
2018 8-5 Outback Bowl
2017 9-4 TaxSlayer Bowl
2016 6-7 St. Petersburg Bowl

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
They have only been to four bowl games since 2014 and three of them are NY6 games. They've had both a higher ceiling and a lower floor than us.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nobody cares about vacated wins. It's stupid for the NCAA to use as a "punishment."

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Screw this narrative. Id be elated for 10 wins and a sugar bowl too

Dec 5, 2021
I mean yeah they have been down, but they are in the Sugar Bowl after beating us and we are in the Liberty Bowl.... Hard to downplay that

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I mean yeah they have been down, but they are in the Sugar Bowl after beating us and we are in the Liberty Bowl.... Hard to downplay that

I'll take a stab. Change about 2 plays for them (Ark. 2 point attempt and Tenn. endzone overthrow) and 3 for us (Ark. and Memphis ref screw jobs, LSU special teams penalty), and it is a totally different picture. Not to mention the dropped or missed td passes in the EB.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Other than big 6, which I WOULD BE excited for at state, I don’t understand the extra excitement over the Sugar. It hasn’t meant anything special since it stopped being the destination of the SEC winner. What am I missing?

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Other than big 6, which I WOULD BE excited for at state, I don’t understand the extra excitement over the Sugar. It hasn’t meant anything special since it stopped being the destination of the SEC winner. What am I missing?

It's only special to them because it brings back memories of when they were semi-relevant in the 50's and early 60's before integration. Old times are not easily forgotten on the plantation.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
And IF my aunt had balls she’d be my uncle... Bottom line is it didn’t happen that way

But all of those things I pointed out could have much easier happened than your aunt having balls. Just pointing out what a fine line it can sometimes be between going 9-3 or 10-2 and going 7-5.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008

Payout isn't that great and I have had several older rebel men tell me that's the sec championship bowl.

But the younger alumni are just glad it's a chance to go get tore up drunk in New Orleans

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
Payout isn't that great and I have had several older rebel men tell me that's the sec championship bowl.

But the younger alumni are just glad it's a chance to go get tore up drunk in New Orleans

Alzheimer's is a terrible thing.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Don’t kid yourself. We’d all be over the 17ing moon if MSU were playing in it

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
So they get the Sugar Bowl and we got Omaha and a natty. I would not trade.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Don’t kid yourself. We’d all be over the 17ing moon if MSU were playing in it

Yes we would be excited and happy to be in New Orleans. Not sure how many people be confused that there's two other SEC teams a level above us that we aren't even close to attaining. Today it's the 3rd place trophy most years.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

To help make your point the winner of the SEC is not playing in it. It's the 3rd place team.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Thanks, I feel so much better now knowing we achieved all those moral victories . I bet the Top 25 would look much different if everyone did this hypothetical "what if" season ending ranking. We should base coaches salaries on what ifs instead of actual on field performance too

patdog

May 28, 2007
What about the LA Tech FG attempt? You can't play the what if game. We are what we are. And that's a 7-5 team.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Sep 15, 2009
All of that don't matter when they are playing in the 17'n Sugar Bowl and we are playing in the Liberty Bowl. They should be thrilled. It sucks. No other way to spin it.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
I'd be excited about a NY6 for certain. New Orleans being close to me would be a bonus too. However, I wouldn't be running around acting like we'd won the SEC to get there. It's another NY6 bowl, which are exciting, but it isn't the Sugar Bowl of 20+ years ago wrt the meaning to the SEC. To hear my OM friends talk you would think that Archie might suit up. Old times there are not forgotten...

Last edited:

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Heck yeah! Why stop there? Just ask for the national title in all sports! As it is said, it shall be done...

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
I'll take a stab. Change about 2 plays for them (Ark. 2 point attempt and Tenn. endzone overthrow) and 3 for us (Ark. and Memphis ref screw jobs, LSU special teams penalty), and it is a totally different picture. Not to mention the dropped or missed td passes in the EB.

Their coach is 2-0. When ours was, we heard "we will never lose to them again" and our fans gobbled it up. Now we just act like this isn't a big deal? It is, and Leach better learn quick that the game does in fact count and matter. Just like 2014, we had a chance to make noise at the end of the season and we choked. You can't excuse that. They beat us on the field and are once again in a NY6 bowl. And our fans once again look stupid trying to downplay it.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
All of that don't matter when they are playing in the 17'n Sugar Bowl and we are playing in the Liberty Bowl. They should be thrilled. It sucks. No other way to spin it.
It's Tier 3 at best. I don't see the big deal. Great season, yes, but they wanted more, and lose a ton. It's not like it's a sign of great things to come or anything.

Tier 1 is a national title, obviously. This gives you a good 10-15 years of staying power. You're considered a blue blood now.
Tier 2 is a conference title/playoff berth level. Probably about 5 years maximum of staying power.
Tier 3 is your typical 10 win season or so, 10-3 or 11-2 with the Big 6/NYD bowl win or loss. About a year's worth of respect, and that usually comes with excuses. You really need to follow that up with another good year to have any staying power.

So basically Ole Miss is not taking some next step or anything. I mean look at what happened to them in 2015, they promptly followed that up with 5-7.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Their coach is 2-0. When ours was, we heard "we will never lose to them again" and our fans gobbled it up. Now we just act like this isn't a big deal? It is, and Leach better learn quick that the game does in fact count and matter. Just like 2014, we had a chance to make noise at the end of the season and we choked. You can't excuse that. They beat us on the field and are once again in a NY6 bowl. And our fans once again look stupid trying to downplay it.

I can promise you not all our fans gobbled up the not losing to them again BS. I thought it was stupid as **** to say you're going to do something that's impossible. He should have been asked about it 3 times in every losing Egg Bowl press conference.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You underestimate the power of the portal friend. OM will get a QB and continue this thing.
Just that easy, right? Let's get us one of them there left tackles while we're discussing the portal. Nothing to it, is it?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Many of you seem to forget that we played in a NY6 bowl before. And it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. We were all disappointed, the team didn't show up for it and we got blown off the field.

Perhaps Ole Miss is a little more excited because they got their disappointment over with early in the season.

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021

Yeah, maybe if we'd sent our baseball team to play Thanksgiving night things would be different and we wouldn't have to read these constant threads about how MSU would be ranked 7th, one above OM, were it not for crucial circumstances the entire country is aware of. Mainly those final numbers that came up on the scoreboard after each game. I don't know of anyone who would be content with playing in the Sugar Bowl on New Years Day this year who is a true MSU fan. It's a step below the NC game and that's all we care about so lets make fun of OM being happy about being invited. They don't know any better and if they win they'll only finish in the top 10, possibly the top 5. No way they win the NC like our baseball team did in the much more popular sport of college baseball. Do any of you ever actually read these stupid posts you make? Again, Leach's recruiting on the 15th is going to be off the charts, our football team left me as excited as I was with the team Mullen left behind but this time we have a coach that can do something with it. Back a few weeks ago when everyone on this board wanted Leach fired I think knowing we'd be in the Liberty Bowl would have been pretty astounding at the time. But hell no, let's just write astronomically STUPID posts about how the Sugar Bowl means nothing and OM only wants to play because it reminds them of owning slaves then throw out our baseball program as though it has ANYTHING to do with football programs. More than anything lets let potential recruits know that beating OM is our NC in football. Nothing else matters. I cannot think of a single other SEC team other than Ole Miss who would be excited to play in the Sugar Bowl which will be the most watched game behind the playoff games. Who wants that?

msu0580

Nov 28, 2021
So what tier does the esteemed Liberty Bowl fall in? I haven't seen a lot of excitement from our fanbase over what will be a good game in close proximity to our school. That alone should insure a packed stadium and take the nations attention off a New Years 6 Sugar Bowl where two teams with a combined 20-4 record will be playing. I think maybe we should make it to the Sugar Bowl sometime before we start downplaying it. I'm sure our pathetic fan showing at the Liberty will come up in the future if there ever is a tie between us and another SEC school and they have to pick one to play. Won't matter, who wants to play in a tier 3 bowl that ain't what it used to be. As long as we can win that final game against OM that's all that matters. Sugar Bowl is a tier 3 game. I'm sure you'd be making that post if we were playing in it,

patdog

May 28, 2007
Don't kid yourself. The Sugar bowl is a big 17ing deal to a program like Mississippi or Mississippi State. Sure, if you're Alabama, it's maybe a letdown, but for anyone else, it's freaking huge. They had a great season this year and I'll be surprised if they drop off nearly as much as many are hoping they will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login