I can understand the BearShark's excitement this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
So what tier does the esteemed Liberty Bowl fall in? I haven't seen a lot of excitement from our fanbase over what will be a good game in close proximity to our school. That alone should insure a packed stadium and take the nations attention off a New Years 6 Sugar Bowl where two teams with a combined 20-4 record will be playing. I think maybe we should make it to the Sugar Bowl sometime before we start downplaying it. I'm sure our pathetic fan showing at the Liberty will come up in the future if there ever is a tie between us and another SEC school and they have to pick one to play. Won't matter, who wants to play in a tier 3 bowl that ain't what it used to be. As long as we can win that final game against OM that's all that matters. Sugar Bowl is a tier 3 game. I'm sure you'd be making that post if we were playing in it,
Liberty Bowl is essentially just another regular season game. Better to play in it than not, for sure.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Don't kid yourself. The Sugar bowl is a big 17ing deal to a program like Mississippi or Mississippi State. Sure, if you're Alabama, it's maybe a letdown, but for anyone else, it's freaking huge. They had a great season this year and I'll be surprised if they drop off nearly as much as many are hoping they will.
The Orange Bowl wasn't a very big deal to us. Only difference in Sugar is location.

The only real accomplishment is whatever their ranking is at the end of the season. Not the name of the bowl, that hasn't mattered in 23 years.

They may not drop off much, but they aren't going to go 10-2 again. 8-4 maximum.

Last edited:

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I hate it but I could see things coming together for them quite nicely the next few years.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
People trying to downplay a 10 win regular season and NY6 bowl are delusional
Nobody's downplaying it. But it's not some threshold to something bigger. Many kids opt out of these games.

The playoff, and to a lesser extent conference titles, are the only things that means anything. What would Baylor rather win, the Big 12 title game or the Sugar Bowl? Answer that honestly. And likewise Ole Miss, the SEC or the Sugar?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You have lost your damn mind. It's only the biggest deal that's happened for MSU football since WWII.
Yeah, the $5 tickets and actual attendance sure bore that out***************

Sorry, these bowls just don't mean much since the advent of the playoff. It is what it is.

Aug 18, 2009
Yeah, the $5 tickets and actual attendance sure bore that out***************

Sorry, these bowls just don't mean much since the advent of the playoff. It is what it is.

We can barely put 60k people into our own stadium when we play at top 10 team at home, so I think traveling 15k people all the way to Miami to play in a stadium that takes an hour to get to from the hotel is a pretty good turnout. The Orange Bowl was a big deal, until we got clobbered and then the revisionist history majors like you showed up.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It's Tier 3 at best. I don't see the big deal. Great season, yes, but they wanted more, and lose a ton. It's not like it's a sign of great things to come or anything.

Tier 1 is a national title, obviously. This gives you a good 10-15 years of staying power. You're considered a blue blood now.
Tier 2 is a conference title/playoff berth level. Probably about 5 years maximum of staying power.
Tier 3 is your typical 10 win season or so, 10-3 or 11-2 with the Big 6/NYD bowl win or loss. About a year's worth of respect, and that usually comes with excuses. You really need to follow that up with another good year to have any staying power.

So basically Ole Miss is not taking some next step or anything. I mean look at what happened to them in 2015, they promptly followed that up with 5-7.

Good argument. But that means there are like 8 tiers. And 85-90% of teams are in the bottom 5 tiers. Tier 3 is still a top 15 program.

What tier is MSU this year?...6th?

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Good argument. But that means there are like 8 tiers. And 85-90% of teams are in the bottom 5 tiers. Tier 3 is still a top 15 program.

What tier is MSU this year?...6th?
So we're starting to illustrate the problem, which is that none of those tiers matter except 1, maybe 2 sometimes.

I'm as nostalgic as anyone about the way football used to be when I grew up, where bowls actually mattered, and really even during the BCS. We all knew it took a little luck to win a title. But going 13-0 and winning a major bowl (like Auburn in 2004) was nothing to sneeze at. Of course, back then everybody thought that was such a tragedy. It doesn't look too bad now, looking back.

At this point, I don't see how it can be argued that the expanded playoff is really the only way college football forges ahead. And the playoff really should be bigger than most people are picturing, if you compare the percentages of playoff teams vs. actual teams in lower football divisions and other sports. A 32 team playoff nets you 31 bowls. Everybody wins. The rest can be an NIT-type deal.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
We can barely put 60k people into our own stadium when we play at top 10 team at home, so I think traveling 15k people all the way to Miami to play in a stadium that takes an hour to get to from the hotel is a pretty good turnout. The Orange Bowl was a big deal, until we got clobbered and then the revisionist history majors like you showed up.

Exactly. Who cares about attendance when a bowl is 800+ miles away. Bowl attendance is meaningless. SEC fans are the only ones that beat their chests about butts in the seats for these bowl games. Literally nobody else in the country cares. Its' the eyeballs on the TV that matter. And if you don't think a traditional BCS/NY6 bowl don't matter, you are crazy.

patdog

May 28, 2007
There's 3 tiers. Only 2 of them matter.

1 - Playoff games
2 - NY6 bowls
3 - Every other bowl out there. These are exhibition games.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
There's 3 tiers. Only 2 of them matter.

1 - Playoff games
2 - NY6 bowls
3 - Every other bowl out there. These are exhibition games.
Bro, NY6 is exhibition too.

Can you tell me who won the 2019 NY6 without looking it up (I say 2019 because 2020 was jacked up and nobody watched)? Yeah, I didn't think so. But you can definitely spout off that LSU won the title, and you can probably remember that Clemson was the opponent, and MAYBE remember the other two. I think it was maybe Oklahoma and Ohio State or Notre Dame.

That is why they are a tier below. Florida is all I remember and that's only because it was Danny.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
I'll take a stab. Change about 2 plays for them (Ark. 2 point attempt and Tenn. endzone overthrow) and 3 for us (Ark. and Memphis ref screw jobs, LSU special teams penalty), and it is a totally different picture. Not to mention the dropped or missed td passes in the EB.

No doubt that our season could have gone differently on a few plays. But that won’t stop me from having a damn blast in New Orleans. That one play against Arkansas that kept us out of Atlanta didn’t stop from hurting. So I’m not going to let a play or two stop me from enjoying it. And you wouldn’t either. We’ve had some bad years. But the 3 NY6 bowls in 7 years have been a lot of fun.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
It's only special to them because it brings back memories of when they were semi-relevant in the 50's and early 60's before integration. Old times are not easily forgotten on the plantation.

You can’t possibly think that has anything to do with why fans are enjoying a 10-2 season and the Sugar Bowl. If an Ole Miss fan posted that about MSU you’d make fun of them like crazy, and rightfully so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login