I did a double take in Tulum…

Fritz!

Oct 16, 2014
Futurama Buy GIF

1msucub

Oct 3, 2004
And it’s the only white face in the whole thing. What in the world?

MagicDawg

Nov 11, 2010
I see TCU up there... so only two universities in the bunch? I wonder how they chose?

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
I call shenanigans. It looks so different from the others and doesn't even say "Bulldogs" (or something close to that). Its a fake.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Sorry for the thread highjack but we are making a trip to Playa del Carmen. It is a last minute not planned out trip. Any recommendations other than ruins and probably a stupid question but how did you get around, tour, cab, or rent a car?
We’ve been down here a lot.. staying up and down the coast. We are in the airport right now leaving. PDC is as packed as I’ve ever seen it this morning but that’s just probably because of NYE tonight. We are all glad we are leaving now.

We spent two days in Tulum and driving back north last night the traffic was the worst I’ve seen it. An hour drive turned into 2.5.

If you’re coming with family or small kids Tulum isn’t the place… but if it’s just you and the misses and you’ve got some available coin.. there’s literally no place on the planet like Tulum Beach.

If you’re staying in PDC and want to snorkel head up the highway to Puerto Morelos. Book a trip the day before with Wet Set. You’ll see more life out on the reef there than anywhere in Cozumel (unless you scuba). And the ride out to reef there is like 3 minutes in the boat. Highly recommend.

Xcaret/Xplor/Xel Ha and those parks are amazing. Just plan for a long day… like ALL day.

Google cenotes in your area… there are thousands of them. They all vary in price and most don’t accept cards.

Exchange a bunch of money into pesos and just roll like that. It’s so much easier than using a card for small purchases.

Swimming with turtles at Akumal is really cool… but I think you have to go out with a guide now.. still it’s probably pretty cheap.

You can’t climb Coba anymore and that’s a bummer. But I’ve heard you can still climb Ek Balam and it’s tall. Chichen Itza is amazing.. just know it’s a 2 hr drive to get there. The ruins at Tulum are ok.. and that’s where the photo of the masks was taken but I can’t recommend as a must do anymore because you can’t swim at that beach due to erosion.

Absolutely rent a car. We always do.. we use Avis. When you get it just walk around the car videoing every angle for when you turn it back in. And for 17’s sake… GET THE INSURANCE for $60 USD or whatever it is.

As for Cancun itself… my philosophy is to treat it like the old malfunction junction… Don’t never ever enter.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
We’ve been down here a lot.. staying up and down the coast. We are in the airport right now leaving. PDC is as packed as I’ve ever seen it this morning but that’s just probably because of NYE tonight. We are all glad we are leaving now.

We spent two days in Tulum and driving back north last night the traffic was the worst I’ve seen it. An hour drive turned into 2.5.

If you’re coming with family or small kids Tulum isn’t the place… but if it’s just you and the misses and you’ve got some available coin.. there’s literally no place on the planet like Tulum Beach.

If you’re staying in PDC and want to snorkel head up the highway to Puerto Morelos. Book a trip the day before with Wet Set. You’ll see more life out on the reef there than anywhere in Cozumel (unless you scuba). And the ride out to reef there is like 3 minutes in the boat. Highly recommend.

Xcaret/Xplor/Xel Ha and those parks are amazing. Just plan for a long day… like ALL day.

Google cenotes in your area… there are thousands of them. They all vary in price and most don’t accept cards.

Exchange a bunch of money into pesos and just roll like that. It’s so much easier than using a card for small purchases.

Swimming with turtles at Akumal is really cool… but I think you have to go out with a guide now.. still it’s probably pretty cheap.

You can’t climb Coba anymore and that’s a bummer. But I’ve heard you can still climb Ek Balam and it’s tall. Chichen Itza is amazing.. just know it’s a 2 hr drive to get there. The ruins at Tulum are ok.. and that’s where the photo of the masks was taken but I can’t recommend as a must do anymore because you can’t swim at that beach due to erosion.

Absolutely rent a car. We always do.. we use Avis. When you get it just walk around the car videoing every angle for when you turn it back in. And for 17’s sake… GET THE INSURANCE for $60 USD or whatever it is.

As for Cancun itself… my philosophy is to treat it like the old malfunction junction… Don’t never ever enter.
Thanks for all the good info. No children on the trip. Just me and MsNT celebrating her retirement.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Thanks for all the good info. No children on the trip. Just me and MsNT celebrating her retirement.
Tulum Beach.. definitely Tulum Beach.

Pack very little.. you won’t need much.

Rent as small a car as you can fit your luggage in. Makes it easier to park. Google maps will take you anywhere you want to go. Take a day and drive a few miles down into the Sian Kan.. there are miles of powder sand beaches and blue water with nobody in any direction. I’m not saying I’ve had sexy time on the beach there.. but I won’t deny that it’s vey possible.

Also the street food scene in the town of Tulum is legit if you’re into that sort of thing. Just rent bikes and go. It’s quicker and everybody should take their life in their hands every once in a while.

This time we went in the art exhibit Mystika by Pepe Soho at Tulum ruins. It’s a pretty amazing way to spend a couple of hours and if I had $8,000 USD to drop on huge picture to hang on the wall I probably would’ve done it.

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Tulum Beach.. definitely Tulum Beach.

Pack very little.. you won’t need much.

Rent as small a car as you can fit your luggage in. Makes it easier to park. Google maps will take you anywhere you want to go. Take a day and drive a few miles down into the Sian Kan.. there are miles of powder sand beaches and blue water with nobody in any direction. I’m not saying I’ve had sexy time on the beach there.. but I won’t deny that it’s vey possible.

Also the street food scene in the town of Tulum is legit if you’re into that sort of thing. Just rent bikes and go. It’s quicker and everybody should take their life in their hands every once in a while.

This time we went in the art exhibit Mystika by Pepe Soho at Tulum ruins. It’s a pretty amazing way to spend a couple of hours and if I had $8,000 USD to drop on huge picture to hang on the wall I probably would’ve done it.
Thanks.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login