I feel like Lemonis has solidified his 2024 outlook

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
This baseball team has dominant hitting and outstanding pitching when they play against a top notch junior college team. They are still terrible against the top 15 or 20 type teams in this country. Sadly, we have to play many of those teams.

Reactions: patdog

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
The younger talent is undeniable is a head scratcher. Just because the younger talent on the team is better than the upper class talent, doesnt mean its on par with the younger talent around the league.

This team was never as bad as some people made them out to be, but they arent an upper tier team, and from a talent standpoint they are very average as well.
When you have 36 more walks than anyone else in the league and have the worst fielding percentage in the league by 13 percentage points its pretty bad. Those 2 stats are ALL about us and have nothing to do with the competition you are playing

Jul 26, 2021
I’ll withhold judgement until the end of the season but I’m not sold he should stay. The roster is a mess. No doubt there is some younger talent but it’s so incomplete. We have way too many guys that can hit home runs but don’t have a position. We have way too many pitchers that can throw really hard with great spin rate but can’t throw strikes.
Agreed. I love the bombs and the mph, but…

Attachments

• 5C96A467-872A-4104-B1AB-4BDA0EA1745F.png
    5C96A467-872A-4104-B1AB-4BDA0EA1745F.png
    152.1 KB · Views: 2

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
The most likely outcome is that we miss the postseason and we have to get a new coaching staff. I think Jake is a good hitting coach, but I don’t know how there would be a scenario where he would stay.

if we somehow make Hoover, then you have to give Lemonis some credit. I just don’t see it happening. It is too much to ask of this pitching staff.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The most likely outcome is that we miss the postseason and we have to get a new coaching staff. I think Jake is a good hitting coach, but I don’t know how there would be a scenario where he would stay.

if we somehow make Hoover, then you have to give Lemonis some credit. I just don’t see it happening. It is too much to ask of this pitching staff.
Why would we give him credit for making Hoover?

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

blacklistedbully

Apr 9, 2010
We're basically a top 5 team offensively in conference. And our schedule is number 3 in the country.
I don't care about the stats. I just care about the W's.
I care about how we play more than anything else at this point. Even if losing, playing well gives hope our coaching staff is competent and has us moving in the right direction as a program.

Winning more while still not consistently playing well is Fool's Gold that, if not turned around will doom us to mediocrity or worse for who knows how many seasons.

Reactions: 60sdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Why would we give him credit for making Hoover?
Because where we started, vs. where we end, indicates what type of coaching we have.

Where we start, is dependent on the talent we have.

The second one is where Lemonis has been deficient. When you're down on talent, it affects how you coach. It often manifests in what appears to be 'bad attitude' and other similar things. That's why so many people are watching how we play on the field and getting frustrated, and trying to blame it on coaching. Lemonis proved he can coach over the course of his first 3 years here, that's really not debatable. So, reason and logic lead you to believe we have a talent issue. That is further born out in the fact that we tanked last year after our 3 big pitching injuries (Sims, Simmons, Auger) simply became too much to overcome down the stretch.

People like to point out that we 'quit' in several games. Well hell yeah we quit, it's impossible not to, to some extent, when you're getting run-ruled. Human nature.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perd Hapley

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I very much believe we are not as talented as people think. This is a direct issue of the staff as at this level recruiting is just as important as coaching.

Also I'm not sure the lemonis has proven he can coach here is valid. Lemonis has proven he can coach superior talent. I think the mark of a good coach is to get the most of out his talent or even overachieve. I'm still waiting to see if he's capable of that.

His loyality to certain players and some of the game managment decisions he makes also baffle me, but to each their own i guess.

That said, I do think he'll get another season barring a major collapse down the stretch, and in all honesty probably deserves that.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Is that because we have played a lot fewer innings due to being run-ruled so many times?

That’s actually something I didn’t consider when looking at our own scoring. We’ve had at least 4 games (I think) out of 12 where we either were run ruled or we run ruled somebody else. That’s basically an entire game’s worth of AB’s that didn’t happen. So instead of looking at runs or K’s per game, really have to look at it per inning now.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I very much believe we are not as talented as people think. This is a direct issue of the staff as at this level recruiting is just as important as coaching.
THIS! We've got a few promising freshmens. But overall, the talent level of this team just isn't up to par.

Reactions: beachbumdawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Because where we started, vs. where we end, indicates what type of coaching we have.

Where we start, is dependent on the talent we have.

The second one is where Lemonis has been deficient. When you're down on talent, it affects how you coach. It often manifests in what appears to be 'bad attitude' and other similar things. That's why so many people are watching how we play on the field and getting frustrated, and trying to blame it on coaching. Lemonis proved he can coach over the course of his first 3 years here, that's really not debatable. So, reason and logic lead you to believe we have a talent issue. That is further born out in the fact that we tanked last year after our 3 big pitching injuries (Sims, Simmons, Auger) simply became too much to overcome down the stretch.

People like to point out that we 'quit' in several games. Well hell yeah we quit, it's impossible not to, to some extent, when you're getting run-ruled. Human nature.
Just bc he put a deplorable product on The field the first half of the season and happens to achieve an embarrassing metric for success isnt a reason to give him credit. You can be consistently bad all year and make Hoover.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
THIS! We've got a few promising freshmens. But overall, the talent level of this team just isn't up to par.
I agree. And given that, you should be willing to give him a mulligan for one more year. Considering the following:

- COVID crootin (I know everybody had to deal with it)
- He won a natty
- Dealing with a natty at MSU probably produced some big heads
- He won a natty
- We need a little consistency in coaching right now, and players are defending him (current and former)
- He won a natty
- He's recruiting well, on paper
- He won a natty

Another year or two goes by with no improvement, we make a change. But we won't right now. IT'S......NOT......HAPPENING. All the fahrrerrrrbody crusaders need to move on to the next negative topic.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I agree. And given that, you should be willing to give him a mulligan for one more year. Considering the following:

- He won a natty
- He won a natty
- We need a little consistency in coaching right now, and players are defending him (current and former)
- He won a natty
- He won a natty

Another year or two goes by with no improvement, we make a change. But we won't right now. IT'S......NOT......HAPPENING. All the fahrrerrrrbody crusaders need to move on to the next negative topic.
The national championship only buys you so much time. 3 years of lazy recruiting is unacceptable.

Reactions: trob115 and 60sdog

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

- He won a natty
- He won a natty
- He won a natty
- He won a natty

Nope. The natty card only works if we at least have a pulse during the downturn. Does not apply to situations where we have a complete and utter collapse.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The national championship only buys you so much time. 3 years of lazy recruiting is unacceptable.
It's only 2 years of bad recruiting (2020 and 2021), and 2022 has already corrected that. And you know as well as I do it's not lazy, you don't sign the guys we signed being lazy. Your point is already moot.

Now, bad evaluation? YEAH. Stop with the PGAAs and velo crap and get some real pitchers. The 'big four' in 2020 was Tepper, Fristoe, Smith and Carmouche. Didn't get **** there. You'll know if the PGAA guy is legit, because you'll have to talk him out of the MLB.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It's only 2 years of bad recruiting (2020 and 2021), and 2022 has already corrected that. And you know as well as I do it's not lazy, you don't sign the guys we signed being lazy. Your point is already moot.

Now, bad evaluation? YEAH. Stop with the PGAAs and velo crap and get some real pitchers. The 'big four' in 2020 was Tepper, Fristoe, Smith and Carmouche. Didn't get **** there. You'll know if the PGAA guy is legit, because you'll have to talk him out of the MLB.

I think Smith was/is better than “not ****”, but he was a Cann recruit. Carmouche might have been as well. Fristoe and Tepper were, however, all Lemonis.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
We pretty much collapsed down the stretch last year, so anything is possible. But, if we can get series wins against some combination of OM, Auburn & TAM we should make Hoover. Maybe we can even work our way into the fringe Bubble discussion.

But, this club has some pop in the bats. And some of the younger talent is undeniable. I think that’ll be enough to get him another year.
Not so fast my friend!

Reactions: patdog
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login