I guess this is what some of you young guys

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Our idiots have the entire highway into town lined with estate lots of 20 acres per home (nobody building an estate is doing it on the highway) and have all the high density housing/multifamily crammed along the lake where land is well over $1mm per acre.
Unfortunately, high land cost drives the high density. Otherwise your cost/square foot gets out of line.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Why would any builder build a "affordable to moderately" priced house, when I spend the same to build a mcMansion and make 2x the money?
You again. Lemme suggest you not become a contractor because you don't strike me as having entrepreneurial skills. It takes longer and costs more to build McMansions than much smaller homes. There's a larger market for non-McMansions which is why the vast majority of new houses in America are non-McMansions.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Why would any builder build a "affordable to moderately" priced house, when I spend the same to build a mcMansion and make 2x the money?
I'm not a builder, but it makes sense to me that one would want to build 4 affordable homes on 1 acre lot instead of one mcMansion for 1. more total money and 2. more work for his crew . But I'm not a builder and don't have the capital to afford to contract this out

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
The days of larger, nicer homes are coming to an end. Doubt we see 3% rates again in our lifetime. 5% is where things start to take off, and it's going to be awhile before we see that again too. We're back to the old higher rates that we once thought were great and housing was more modest.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
I'm not a builder, but it makes sense to me that one would want to build 4 affordable homes on 1 acre lot instead of one mcMansion for 1. more total money and 2. more work for his crew . But I'm not a builder and don't have the capital to afford to contract this out
LOL you don't know what a McMansion looks like.

How about building 20 of these on an acre for $600,000k each?

So you keep your crew busy on making $400,000 for your 4 affordable houses. I'll keep my crews busy and make $8 million.

ChE1997

Feb 14, 2023
You again. Lemme suggest you not become a contractor because you don't strike me as having entrepreneurial skills. It takes longer and costs more to build McMansions than much smaller homes. There's a larger market for non-McMansions which is why the vast majority of new houses in America are non-McMansions.
No enough longer or enough delta in material costs to made a difference.

And the sales price is 3-4x...

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Rent is even worse. We pay more in rent than our friends that have homes pay on their mortgage.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
LOL you don't know what a McMansion looks like.

How about building 20 of these on an acre for $600,000k each?

So you keep your crew busy on making $400,000 for your 4 affordable houses. I'll keep my crews busy and make $8 million.
Wow that's packing em in tight.
That isn't what I view as a mcmansion, but it's interesting to see how the term is used elsewhere.
I view them as large new builds on 1/4 acre lots with some common features like stone on the front and vinyl siding everywhere else, 3 car garage with cheap looking doors, large front entryway, etc.

Reactions: ChE1997

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Have you every heard of supply and demand? Real estate booms aren't anything new. What's new is boom towns artificially restricting supply. If you want to point fingers, point them directly at local and state governments.
Once more, keeping costs at an equal percent of sale, if a house can be built and sold for $300k, why would a builder use that land to build and sell a house for $185k?

Reactions: ChE1997

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
If I could go back in time, I’d buy up a bunch of property.

Not sure if I could handle the tax burden waiting on values to rise

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login