I have a confession to make...

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
The smartest business owner I ever worked with made a practice of NOT hiring "hatchet men" in upper management. He hired managers but if there was an OBVIOUS personnel mess to clean up in that department he felt responsible and cleaned it up himself to give the new manager as much of a clean slate to start with as he could . He would then get out of the way and let the new guy rebuild the department. I hope Keenum does this with Selmon because the Arnett debacle is on him.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
My opinion: When he starts talking about our coaching situations I hope it is long past when he has viable candidates identified, and maybe even begun interviewing. Logically that would be late November, post egg bowl. Anything else is just a distraction and not beneficial.
The only time he should initiate a conversation about the coaching situation is after a firing, hiring, extension, etc. I wouldn't think many people are wanting him to call a press conference to publicly admonish Arnett.

He just needs to engage the fanbase, period. To reinforce that he is dialed in and that he gives a **** and to give fans the opportunity to air their grievances. Social media has made this really easy to do....if he doesn't like SM, then he needs to hire someone to handle that. Byrne and Stricklin did a good job of this. Hell, compared to Selmon, Cohen even did really well.

Reactions: Seinfeld

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
Maybe that's the only way he gets support from you, but who becomes our interim coach if that happens? Maybe Arnett agrees to finish out the season as a lame duck?

Selmon better be looking for a new coach, but the actual firing can wait.
Tony Hughes! He has a little head coaching experience and would be more offensive minded. This team needs someone with leadership ability.
I've often wondered if the offensive players developed some animosity for Arnett for firing their coaching staff. I've seen it in office politics where someone is promoted that didn't like a department and fired them to hire their own cronies.

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
He's very visible. He talks about it publicly. I shared my story after the WMU game. He knows the score.

He's not going to call a press conference to tell us he's working on it. For all we know, he wants to make a move and keenum is holding him back. But this narrative of him not being visible just isn't true. He's more visible (exponentially) than his previous two predecessors combined.
Yea, I totally disagree with this. And I would argue that the fact that the narrative even exists, proves you wrong....at a minimum it proves that he isn't visible to the whole fanbase.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
For the first time ever, after 50 years of attending and cheering for Bulldog football, we left at halftime. There was no emotion, no anger, no feelings at all except maybe profound saddest for all the fans who contributed to a genuinely great game day experience. The product on the field was one of the poorest I have witnessed at State and I have seen many bad ones. Maybe Sunday morning, the endless hope for the program will find rebirth but I really don't see that happening without some major tough decisions being made by leadership. 'Nuff said.
I haven’t watched a game in 2 weeks. Never done that before…. This program is officially dead, and the next hire can’t be a bust. Keenum destroyed us with his hire.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Maybe, just maybe, you have that “blind spot” in your own behavior where you tend to turn everything into a race-based matter. Your type is the reason the race card is eye-rolled. Not everything is a matter of race.
It’s simply a variable that I considered when trying to understand the dislike for a man who’s yet to make any major decisions, nor in my opinion, has the timing been right for such. i may have a blind spot. Your easy dismissal of it being a possible reason might be yours.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Yea, I totally disagree with this. And I would argue that the fact that the narrative even exists, proves you wrong....at a minimum it proves that he isn't visible to the whole fanbase.
But I'm not wrong. The people commenting on this are the people not at games. I see the guy out and about all the time. I don't know what you guys expect. Is he supposed to call a press conference to tell folks we are putting out feelers? The whole narrative is stupid just like most narratives are stupid. They get started by people with agendas and they aren't rooted in reality.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
It’s simply a variable that I considered when trying to understand the dislike for a man who’s yet to make any major decisions, nor in my opinion, has the timing been right for such. i may have a blind spot. Your easy dismissal of it being a possible reason might be yours.
Or maybe you should just own that it was a shlt take and sit a few plays out.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Your life would be a lot better if you decided to not assume that if someone criticizes another person that it isn’t based on their race. When you do that, it demeans any real racism that’s left out there. Here’s a hint: you won’t find much. Unless you open your eyes to antisemitism that’s sweeping our world right now.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I’ve never seen an AD so vilified before he had any real decisions to make. I’ve heard Lemonis, but given the timing of his arrival and our proximity to a natty, I think that would’ve been knee jerk and the opposite of good leadership.

The hatred for Selmon to date is inexplicable. I do see one major difference in him and prior ADs at state…
I was today years old when I realized I had not seen a pic of the current AD and hadn't been told his race/religion/etc

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I was today years old when I realized I had not seen a pic of the current AD and hadn't been told his race/religion/etc

The only reason why I know the Mississippi State AD's surname is "Selmon" is because I read this board. (I still don't know his first name.) About a month ago, by reading this board, I learned that Selmon is black. Before that, I had no idea. I still have't seen a picture of him.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I’ve never seen an AD so vilified before he had any real decisions to make. I’ve heard Lemonis, but given the timing of his arrival and our proximity to a natty, I think that would’ve been knee jerk and the opposite of good leadership.

The hatred for Selmon to date is inexplicable. I do see one major difference in him and prior ADs at state…

It is interesting to see some of the vitriol toward the AD, especially since he inherited a quagmire of issues in multiple programs. Some of those issues will take time to rectify.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

sandwolf.sixpack

Feb 19, 2013
But I'm not wrong. The people commenting on this are the people not at games. I see the guy out and about all the time. I don't know what you guys expect. Is he supposed to call a press conference to tell folks we are putting out feelers? The whole narrative is stupid just like most narratives are stupid. They get started by people with agendas and they aren't rooted in reality.
He needs to be visible to more than just the 30k fans that come to the games every week. But we can just agree to disagree.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He needs to be visible to more than just the 30k fans that come to the games every week. But we can just agree to disagree.
And how is he supposed to do that? I'm seeing a bunch of generic bullshlt but not a lot of specific solutions.

Do you want him to call a press conference to tell you that we are putting out feelers to agents and raising money for coach buyouts? Do you want him to pick up the phone and call you personally? What is the expectation?

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
First time since the Croom era that I felt no emotion watching our game. The outcome was never in question and I never once thought we could win. It was the first time I've ever just decided to watch another game because ours was flat our impossible to sit through. I've turned off others because we were getting destroyed or they just drove me to rage-quit watching but this had a different feeling.

Reactions: LocalBeachBum

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007

You can’t be serious with that innuendo. Get that crap out of here. There was plenty of hell given early and often for Stricklin and Cohen.

It comes with the job. When coaches are doing poorly, people look at the AD’s actions and words. Selmon clearly isn’t to blame for the situation our football program is in. People are just wanting something to happen now when it probably won’t until the season ends, if at all.

Reactions: sandwolf.sixpack

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I told my son walking out last night I spend all this money for season tickets, and I get **** for it, but I also told him some families can't afford season tickets, then plan and spend a lot of their deposable income just to make one game and they get this. I really feel for them. I have had some really fun seasons. Too be honest it hasn't been as fun as it was when Mullen was there. We had some good years with Mullen but even in down years we had bitching and moaning but it was still fun.

Moorehead years were just miserable. A lot of talent and again poor coaching. Should have made some noise.

Leach years did not get fun until his last season and then middle ways we were wondering how it was going to turn out. The first few years wasn't fun at all.

Arnett started out feeling like it was going to be a fun year, but it is horrible. My son said he did not want to go back up there this season. So, I will see if I will make another.
You're wrong Glory, POTUS had fun watching the Leach years so you and I had to also, just ask him he'll tell you we did. We just didn't realize how much fun we were having it was so fun. The Leach years at TX Tech and WA St were so fun that the fun carried over here too

Last edited:

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
The only reason why I know the Mississippi State AD's surname is "Selmon" is because I read this board. (I still don't know his first name.) About a month ago, by reading this board, I learned that Selmon is black. Before that, I had no idea. I still have't seen a picture of him.
I thought he was Indian. Dot not feather

Ddog

May 24, 2023
For the first time ever, after 50 years of attending and cheering for Bulldog football, we left at halftime. There was no emotion, no anger, no feelings at all except maybe profound saddest for all the fans who contributed to a genuinely great game day experience. The product on the field was one of the poorest I have witnessed at State and I have seen many bad ones. Maybe Sunday morning, the endless hope for the program will find rebirth but I really don't see that happening without some major tough decisions being made by leadership. 'Nuff said.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login