I have been thinking about it for a while now and I think I may have an answer to our football problem.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Money.
1. We spend enough money to get a really good Athletic Director.
2. We give him enough money to spend to obtain the best coach that we can possibly get.
3. We gave him enough money to get the best assistant coaches available in college football.
4. We put a lot more money into NIL so that we can buy more more quality players.

Now... Does anybody have an idea how we can get all this money?

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
If you think about it, the more bad decision get made, the more money it costs to right the ship. More NIL to get players to come, more money to get Good coaches for a less attractive job/bigger rebuild, less revenue coming in for a bad product/attendance, buyouts for coaches who were bad hires.

Bad hires, wasting a season, it costs money That is already in short supply.

Sep 16, 2023
Money.
2. We give him enough money to spend to obtain the best coach that we can possibly get.
3. We gave him enough money to get the best assistant coaches available in college football.
4. We put a lot more money into NIL so that we can buy more more quality players.

School run Ponzi scheme sounds like a good plan or we get in deep with the Italian Mafia

Will Rogers.sixpack

Sep 25, 2022
Why not go the academy route to neutralizing the talent gap, and commit to a “system”, wether it be the triple option or the air raid. Outside having and spending the the same money as the rest of the SEC, in all the areas you named, there is no other logical answer.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
How many fans would you guys guess that we have attending and/or watching every game on TV? I’m talking about grown people with jobs. If each one of those people would subscribe to at least the minimum NIL amount it would go a long way. It’s less than the price of Netflix.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Why not go the academy route to neutralizing the talent gap, and commit to a “system”, wether it be the triple option or the air raid. Outside having and spending the the same money as the rest of the SEC, in all the areas you named, there is no other logical answer.
I am so glad we still have a sense of humor around here. I was joking, and then again I'm not joking. It won't be cheap to fix all of the problems we have. It does make me sad.

Now if I win the $1 Billion Powerball tomorrow night, I will drop a few bucks on this, don't worry.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I am so glad we still have a sense of humor around here. I was joking, and then again I'm not joking. It won't be cheap to fix all of the problems we have. It does make me sad.

Now if I win the $1 Billion Powerball tomorrow night, I will drop a few bucks on this, don't worry.

If I got a hold of that kinda money I'd just buy land in the Delta, become an Ole Miss fan, marry a pretty girl named Adele, and raise brown haired spoiled little boys who Adele dresses in khakis and blue blazers and I teach to get sloppy drunk at football games.

Heaven...

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Athletic department needs to send all of us to Philadelphia with $50,000 to hit the slot machines and blackjack table.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
We won't have the budget to compete in a 2 deep football roster. Next year will be better as they move us away from the programs that do.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Money.

@IBleedMaroonDawg dude, seriously, please stop. You've been making these same arguments since the beginning of the season, and they still sound like we're in the Croom Error. It's funny to me, that you never said anything about it last year or the offseason. It's only when the season starts, and it's painfully obvious that coaching caused it.

We may not have Georgia money, but we have enough to compete and be better than what we've shown. And the blueprint is pretty simple, I've outlined it many times here before.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
- We need to build a Children's Cancer Research Center to steal money from.
- Can Taylor Swift date Tulu?
- Turn Dorman into a meth lab.
- Get some TANF funds from Tater.
- More old rich alumni.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
@IBleedMaroonDawg dude, seriously, please stop. You've been making these same arguments since the beginning of the season, and they still sound like we're in the Croom Error. It's funny to me, that you never said anything about it last year or the offseason. It's only when the season starts, and it's painfully obvious that coaching caused it.

We may not have Georgia money, but we have enough to compete and be better than what we've shown. And the blueprint is pretty simple, I've outlined it many times here before.
We had enough t to get leach. We have enough to get a decent couch with real experience. Patrino, Malzahn, or Mullen could be paid with money we have. Hell we paid Mullen almost 9 mil. Today that would be 12. I think you could get all those guys for 7

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007

Well, our fans are acting like we have that kind of money, so why shouldn't I keep bringing up the same subject if they keep acting the same way... delusional?

Nobody asked me to solve the problem last year or during the off-season. I could've told you we had this problem ten, twenty, thirty, etc., years ago, but you didn't ask. We've always had this problem at Mississippi State. We don't have the kind of money and prestige that Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. have.

We can achieve a moderate amount of success, but we must have large sums of money to get to the level of success that everybody demands here. Everybody wants us to be Alabama, but they want to spend Delta State money to get it. That just isn't going to work.

Do you want a better coach? You have to have money. If you want to have better players, you have to have money. Do you want to have Bryce Young at quarterback? You had to have money. And I'm not just talking about the money to buy them. I'm talking about the money for facilities for our game experience everything. We complain about everybody else kicking our *** at some of these shiny and pretty things when we haven't spent anything compared to what these other schools have spent.

But we don't have it to spend and everybody really keeps forgetting that.

Let me put it this way how many times have we had a player the caliber of Bryce Young show up on our campus to recruit to play ball? Football programs like Alabama have them anytime they want. They're having a tough time this year because they haven't figured out how to survive in the new NL world give them time they have the money and the resources.

You guys are griping about the backup quarterback when we have problems with this team from head to toe, and it starts with our coaches, I was hoping Arnette and his group could pull something together to at least get us to 500 this season. I was looking for us to have something to build on since everything pretty much in our football program got destroyed when Mike Leach passed away. I haven't seen anything against good competition outside of a few plays to Tulu Griffin that make me think we're going to have any success. We have success here and there, but nothing works consistently. I hope I'm wrong, and you Internet geniuses are right, but I've seen the story before and know how it usually ends.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Well, our fans are acting like we have that kind of money, so why shouldn't I keep bringing up the same subject if they keep acting the same way... delusional?

Nobody asked me to solve the problem last year or during the off-season. I could've told you we had this problem ten, twenty, thirty, etc., years ago, but you didn't ask. We've always had this problem at Mississippi State. We don't have the kind of money and prestige that Ohio State, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. have.

We can achieve a moderate amount of success, but we must have large sums of money to get to the level of success that everybody demands here. Everybody wants us to be Alabama, but they want to spend Delta State money to get it. That just isn't going to work.

Do you want a better coach? You have to have money. If you want to have better players, you have to have money. Do you want to have Bryce Young at quarterback? You had to have money. And I'm not just talking about the money to buy them. I'm talking about the money for facilities for our game experience everything. We complain about everybody else kicking our *** at some of these shiny and pretty things when we haven't spent anything compared to what these other schools have spent.

But we don't have it to spend and everybody really keeps forgetting that.

Let me put it this way how many times have we had a player the caliber of Bryce Young show up on our campus to recruit to play ball? Football programs like Alabama have them anytime they want. They're having a tough time this year because they haven't figured out how to survive in the new NL world give them time they have the money and the resources.

You guys are griping about the backup quarterback when we have problems with this team from head to toe, and it starts with our coaches, I was hoping Arnette and his group could pull something together to at least get us to 500 this season. I was looking for us to have something to build on since everything pretty much in our football program got destroyed when Mike Leach passed away. I haven't seen anything against good competition outside of a few plays to Tulu Griffin that make me think we're going to have any success. We have success here and there, but nothing works consistently. I hope I'm wrong, and you Internet geniuses are right, but I've seen the story before and know how it usually ends.
Those people are not me. I've outlined this many times before. I think our AD (whole department) needs a clear and concise strategy for football that takes advantage of our money, our location, our culture, everything. We are clearly behind the SEC power teams, so we can't do what they do. We can do much more in basketball and baseball, so not as much innovation is needed there, but there still needs to be a clear plan for those programs. But back to football:

- Innovate on offense. I think by now, after we tried the Air Raid experiment (which I'm glad we did, so we could at least know), that we need to get back to a run-based scheme with a QB that leans toward the run, on the scale of 'dual' threat. I'm not saying we have to have an offensive or defensive head coach, but whoever we hire needs to be clear on this. And I'm also not saying we need to run an academy triple option, but we need a 'system'. Gus Malzahn has a system. Rich Rodriguez has a system. Lane Kiffin has a system. Mike Leach had a system. These guy's strengths are Xs and Os and doing it differently. Obviously the 2 guys that fit for us are the first 2. And over time, this offense becomes plug and play, and we can coach up mediocre players.

- Defense is clearly MSU's strength throughout history. We just need to stay competent here. This is where our main NIL needs to be spent. DLU and all that, plus MS produces these athletes in bulk.

- Emphasize the special in special teams (kicker, punter) so we can hide our lack of depth. Kick the ball out of the end zone, punt it to avoid returns, etc. We don't need to lose games based on returns.

- Recruiting: best explained here in another thread: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/new-recruiting-strategy-headed-into-the-future.805472/. And beyond that, we need to look to the portal to get the guys that are talented but stuck on the blue blood's bench, like Justin Robinson, and others that have a chip on their shoulder like Jackie Matthews. Smart supplementation. And a lot of times, we can get the MS players back that went out of state.

- Fans: We simply have to do better, and if we don't, we have to look at decreasing capacity. Our fanbase has to be more on the same page than other fanbases, since we don't have the sheer numbers. In other words, we need to innovate the stadium. I'm not saying put on a South Carolina lightshow, but something.

dgsmith15

Nov 10, 2008
We have enough to get a decent couch with real experience.
charlie murphy fuck yo couch GIF

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Money.

Stop giving millions back to the school from athletics money and stop banking $10+MM each year in rainy day funds. Damn, that was an easy solution!

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Money.

You are correct.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Those people are not me. I've outlined this many times before. I think our AD (whole department) needs a clear and concise strategy for football that takes advantage of our money, our location, our culture, everything. We are clearly behind the SEC power teams, so we can't do what they do. We can do much more in basketball and baseball, so not as much innovation is needed there, but there still needs to be a clear plan for those programs. But back to football:

- Innovate on offense. I think by now, after we tried the Air Raid experiment (which I'm glad we did, so we could at least know), that we need to get back to a run-based scheme with a QB that leans toward the run, on the scale of 'dual' threat. I'm not saying we have to have an offensive or defensive head coach, but whoever we hire needs to be clear on this. And I'm also not saying we need to run an academy triple option, but we need a 'system'. Gus Malzahn has a system. Rich Rodriguez has a system. Lane Kiffin has a system. Mike Leach had a system. These guy's strengths are Xs and Os and doing it differently. Obviously the 2 guys that fit for us are the first 2. And over time, this offense becomes plug and play, and we can coach up mediocre players.

- Defense is clearly MSU's strength throughout history. We just need to stay competent here. This is where our main NIL needs to be spent. DLU and all that, plus MS produces these athletes in bulk.

- Emphasize the special in special teams (kicker, punter) so we can hide our lack of depth. Kick the ball out of the end zone, punt it to avoid returns, etc. We don't need to lose games based on returns.

- Recruiting: best explained here in another thread: https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/new-recruiting-strategy-headed-into-the-future.805472/. And beyond that, we need to look to the portal to get the guys that are talented but stuck on the blue blood's bench, like Justin Robinson, and others that have a chip on their shoulder like Jackie Matthews. Smart supplementation. And a lot of times, we can get the MS players back that went out of state.

- Fans: We simply have to do better, and if we don't, we have to look at decreasing capacity. Our fanbase has to be more on the same page than other fanbases, since we don't have the sheer numbers. In other words, we need to innovate the stadium. I'm not saying put on a South Carolina lightshow, but something.
You offer a good plan. You still need money to get that started. If you can do it with what we have you need. to consult the university president about taking over the athletic department.

I have a feeling his first question is gonna be how do you plan to pay for all this?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You offer a good plan. You still need money to get that started. If you can do it with what we have you need. to consult the university president about taking over the athletic department.

I have a feeling his first question is gonna be how do you plan to pay for all this?
I think we have the money to do these things. We are already fairly good about organizing our limited NIL, so that's taken care of.

What else is there that takes big money that we don't have? The types of coaches we are seeking won't be uber expensive. In general for coaches we need to be looking at current experienced P5 coordinators (Mullen) or upper 50's experienced head coaches who may have a little baggage (Jackie, Leach). For example, I don't think we will have to break the bank to get Malzahn, he's only making 2.3M and Auburn is probably still paying him. And if you stick to the plan above, and maybe hire someone like Dave Bartoo to help you, you can probably find a way to plug and play with the opposite coordinator (to whoever is your head coach).

If you have an experienced offensive coach like Malzahn, go find a cheaper young DC. Vice versa for DC/OC/cheap/expensive.

I don't count Arnett in any of this because it's an extraordinary circumstance.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think we have the money to do these things. We are already fairly good about organizing our limited NIL, so that's taken care of.

What else is there that takes big money that we don't have? The types of coaches we are seeking won't be uber expensive. In general for coaches we need to be looking at current experienced P5 coordinators (Mullen) or upper 50's experienced head coaches who may have a little baggage (Jackie, Leach). For example, I don't think we will have to break the bank to get Malzahn. And if you stick to the plan above, and maybe hire someone like Dave Bartoo to help you, you can probably find a way to plug and play with the opposite coordinator (to whoever is your head coach).
If you think we can improve anything without spending more money, I'm wasting my time with this conversation. Sorry I took up your time. I have other things I need to work on today.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If you think we can improve anything without spending more money, I'm wasting my time with this conversation. Sorry I took up your time. I have other things I need to work on today.
Yeah, you are. Because you didn't listen to a word I said. Not to mention we aren't spending as much money now overall as we were on football even last year. There's plenty of money. Our problem is decision making.

We aren't going to win the NIL war dude. We simply have to survive there.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
If money was the simple and only answer, Oregon would be National Champions every year. They seem to have unlimited Nike money.

Reactions: OG Goat Holder

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I didn't deny what you said or any other other suggestions in this thread. I just said it would take money to make it happen. I don't know how simpler I can explain it than that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login