I hope Kellum Clark does not turn into this year's Hatcher....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He is really struggling in the early going.
I wouldn't label him that just yet. He's just a sophomore. They often have slumps. Hatcher was a 4th year player.

I think Clark just needs to slow down and let things come to him. He was afforded the luxury of being a free swinger as a role player last year. But now folks know his talent, so he's going to have to change his approach.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Get that boy a sports psychologist.....stat! He is too valuable for us to let this go on through the season. Is Dr. Carskadon still available?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Rowdey started slow most every year, seriously, he never came to life until SEC play

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
With limited playing time, his first hit last year was in April (an absolute bomb to right field). He really got going in May against South Carolina. I'm not worried about him.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
Get that boy a sports psychologist.....stat! He is too valuable for us to let this go on through the season. Is Dr. Carskadon still available?

Once, the wife and I saw Dr Carskadon at a bball game at the hump. He was reading a book with giant over-the-ear hearing protection on. During the game. I'll never forget that image.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
FWIW, his summer league stats (limited because of the World Series) show he hit .190 in Cape Cod League. 63 AB's, 12 hits, 3 RBI's and 26 Strike Outs.

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
4 games in and the board is ready to get him a psychiatrist. I don’t know how many of you watched Friday, but no one hit well. Maybe the entire team should go. Just wondering.

CoolDawg

Oct 20, 2013
It looks like Kellum spent a lot of time in the weight room in the off season. He seems like a really nice kid. I hope he gets out of the slump soon. With the extra muscle to his frame, when he does start hitting the ball I think we will all be impressed.

bruiser.sixpack

Aug 13, 2009
It looks like Kellum spent a lot of time in the weight room in the off season. He seems like a really nice kid. I hope he gets out of the slump soon. With the extra muscle to his frame, when he does start hitting the ball I think we will all be impressed.

There might be someone playing in his spot before that happens. We have some serious depth on this team. Guys who struggle early this year are not named Rowdey and Tanner and may find a comfortable spot on the rail in the dugout.

This year, we don’t have to wait for someone to “figure it out”!

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Once, the wife and I saw Dr Carskadon at a bball game at the hump. He was reading a book with giant over-the-ear hearing protection on. During the game. I'll never forget that image.

Was he wearing a blue button down dress shirt with khakis and reading Machiavelli?

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
4 games in and the board is ready to get him a psychiatrist. I don’t know how many of you watched Friday, but no one hit well. Maybe the entire team should go. Just wondering.

From what they say, Kellum has been in a slump since Omaha (yeah...these guys play ball even after our season ends), so its not just 4 games in. Also, everyone else, including our bat girl got a hit against UAPB.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Off topic, but was curious how Hatcher is now doing. Kennesaw State has him hitting lead off and in CF. Interesting move, since he was considered the 1B defensive guru here.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Off topic, but was curious how Hatcher is now doing. Kennesaw State has him hitting lead off and in CF. Interesting move, since he was considered the 1B defensive guru here.
****Rodney Hood trigger warning for those affected****
He has started the season well. I’m sure it’s against lesser pitching, but I hope he keeps it up.
View attachment 23932

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
****Rodney Hood trigger warning for those affected****
He has started the season well. I’m sure it’s against lesser pitching, but I hope he keeps it up.
Well we certainly could have used another OF, and he had too much talent not to eventually put it together.

But honestly, sometimes folks just need a new scene to jump start things.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Who judged him? I said "I hope" not "He is" Big difference.

I'll tell you this though. If Leggett stays hot it is going to be very hard to keep him out of the lineup and he will have to bump someone if he does.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
From what they say, Kellum has been in a slump since Omaha (yeah...these guys play ball even after our season ends), so its not just 4 games in. Also, everyone else, including our bat girl got a hit against UAPB.

I know nobody wants to hear this, but I'm not sure he established enough of a track record to call this a slump. He had some big hits at the end of last year, and I'm sure his average over the last month or so was better, but he hit .237 for the year. He has a good looking swing and power and a lot of talent, but he didn't really hit well enough for long enough last year to make me think he had figured out college pitching.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Anytime I see sports psychologists mentioned when it comes to baseball especially here, I want to ask a friend of mine what his late father would have thought.

Doc Kasper was team psychologist for South Carolina's baseball team for several years.

Charlie Winfield and Bart Gregory chatted about him with Ray Tanner in their podcast last year: Link (go to about the 22:30 mark).

Here's a 2012 article about him from the Charleston newspaper: Link.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
I mean we had people wanting to bench Rowdy at the beginning of last year, so I'm not surprised this started 4 games in. It had to be someone needing to be benched.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login