I know it’s been talked about but

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
Rogers was throwing some absolute dimes Saturday. My MSU football memory only goes back to the late 90s but I’ve never seen passing like this from a Bulldog. The throw right after the fake punt was a 30 yard rope right in stride to a well defended Jaden Wally. We’ve never had this many receivers showing out in my time either. I couldn’t be happier with the direction of this team!

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He looks totally in control of this offense. You don't see this very often from a college QB - but even more impressive that he's only in his second year. There's no doubt the kid has put in a ton of work to get where he's at, just from the mental side.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Kevin Fant had some throws like that as well. Wish he could have played with a better OL.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Kevin Fant had some throws like that as well. Wish he could have played with a better OL.
This has been the key going all the way back to the 80s, with every QB who ever had a successful run. It doomed John Bond. Derrick Taite has a good 1994 then the OL kills him in 1995 and 1996. Wayne Madkin fell victim to it in 2001, and Fant never had a chance. Dak had a tougher time in 2015 then Fitz in 2018. Goes on and on. I

It may get Rogers, but at least it APPEARS that Leach puts a premium on bringing in a bunch of OL every year, so we never have that huge dropoff year where we have to play freshmen or sophomores.

And it's always from idiotic recruiting, like not signing enough players or some ****. Totally preventable.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Rogers is doing so many checks at the line now that he wasn’t doing last year or even earlier this season. That’s one reason why the offense is running much better. The one before our final touchdown was brilliant. He saw the defense and checked to a play where he hit Heath on a slant for the TD that basically put the game away. Last year was his year to learn, and now it looks like he’s mastering this offense.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
I’m optimistic with Leach’s line long term. Who knows what’ll happen next year, but he was an OL coach in the past and has said it’s his favorite unit. There was a WSU guy last year who said their OLs were very solid when Leach was there. Last year there were lots of complaints about how the wide splits would never work in the SEC. Haven’t paid close attention to the splits this year but whatever we’re doing now is working

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Seems to me that he is pump faking a lot more lately which I would imagine is helping get receivers open.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
This has been the key going all the way back to the 80s, with every QB who ever had a successful run. It doomed John Bond. Derrick Taite has a good 1994 then the OL kills him in 1995 and 1996. Wayne Madkin fell victim to it in 2001, and Fant never had a chance. Dak had a tougher time in 2015 then Fitz in 2018. Goes on and on. I

It doomed Bond his Junior and Senior year because Bellard refused to recruit against Brewer and the cheaters at Ole Miss, but he probably had the best OL in State history in 80 and 81: Wayne Harris, Bill Bell, Kent Hull, Mike Miketinas and Roman Grace.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Seems to me that he is pump faking a lot more lately which I would imagine is helping get receivers open.

He is doing that and he is also stepping up in the pocket and drifting along the line of scrimmage waiting for/causing things to open up. Last year and earlier this year at the first sign of pressure, instead of stepping up in the pocket, he would turn and run backwards right into the mesh point where the DT's were being sent by the OT's and get crushed for a 10 yard loss.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

It doomed Bond his Junior and Senior year because Bellard refused to recruit against Brewer and the cheaters at Ole Miss, but he probably had the best OL in State history in 80 and 81: Wayne Harris, Bill Bell, Kent Hull, Mike Miketinas and Roman Grace.
The recruiting for 1982 and 1983 is done years before that. Dog Brewer didn't get to Ole Miss until 1983.

Either way, aren't you agreeing with me? Because of idiotic recruiting, our line faltered and John Bond didn't get to finish his career like he started it.

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The biggest thing I see is that the receivers are catching everything remotely close to them. They aren’t dropping several passes per game that hit them right in the hands.

Sep 9, 2012
We play simple pitch and catch at a higher level than we ever have in MSU history and it’s not even close. Everything is just very solid, especially once we get settled into a game. No major screw ups in the passing game like we’ve seen in the past.

Our WR unit is so balanced. I still don’t think we have a game breaker there yet, but we go 8 deep easily with little to no drop off. We were down two X receivers for most of Saturday (Griffin and Thomas) but we didn’t miss a beat with Heath. It would be great to have a Crabtree type and someday we probably will, but our depth at WR is among the best in the country.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
The biggest thing I see is that the receivers are catching everything remotely close to them. They aren’t dropping several passes per game that hit them right in the hands.

True, but lately Rogers has been passing with such accuracy and touch that they almost can't help but catch them.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The recruiting for 1982 and 1983 is done years before that. Dog Brewer didn't get to Ole Miss until 1983.

Either way, aren't you agreeing with me? Because of idiotic recruiting, our line faltered and John Bond didn't get to finish his career like he started it.

Yes, I am. But the network was working hard for Brewer in Sloan's last year or more. I think it was Sloan. I forget my rebel coaches.

But I can still hear Jack: "behind the forward wall of Harris, Bell, Hull, Miketinas and Grace." I think Edwards may have been the starting left guard in 1980 and Bell in 81. Those guys were great!

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016

Those pumpfakes don’t appear to be empty window dressing either. He is syncing with the routes and predicting exactly what the defenders will do. I have seen some missed opportunities on deep balls but if he is more comfortable with the intermediate game then let him go and maybe he’ll grow into the deep throws. That one I mentioned in the OP is a great example. I’d like to see the receivers grow a bit and get moreYAC but I think that will come with more experience.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
A year ago every time he threw I was holding my breath because it might be a turnover. Now when he throws it's a matter of the WR holding on to the ball which they do 75% of the time. Very rare he throws a bad ball.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I only saw one pass against Auburn that he shouldn't have thrown. He has become unbelievably accurate with his passing. The OL is giving him the time he needs to deliver the strikes. The only thing that I see that he can improve on is getting rid of the ball before taking a sack. Once he has that down, it shouldn't take him long, then he will be everything we have hoped for in a QB.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
Yes, I am. But the network was working hard for Brewer in Sloan's last year or more. I think it was Sloan. I forget my rebel coaches.

But I can still hear Jack: "behind the forward wall of Harris, Bell, Hull, Miketinas and Grace." I think Edwards may have been the starting left guard in 1980 and Bell in 81. Those guys were great!

What about Alan Massey?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login