Hawaii officially joining Mountain West as a Full Member in 2026

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Gives Mountain West the 8th member they need to be a full conference. Some highlights:

• Hawaii won't get a bigger piece of the exit fee pie. They'll still only get the 5% they were previously promised.
  • Hawaii will no longer pay travel subsidies to other conference members. That's pretty huge for them because that was $1.5-$2 Million per year.
  • Mountain West will sign a new grant of rights through 2032.
  • If any member gets a Power 4 invitation, they will be able to leave without paying an exit fee.
  • Media revenue will be split evenly.
  • The Mountain West wants at least one more school so they can have 8 conference games.
  • Mountain West will pay the $750,000 Big West exit fee.

I really thought Hawaii was going to end up in the FCS, but they actually improved their situation quite a bit.

Last edited:

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Hawaii is for pro bowls only. Its bad enough for schools in the west to travel to each other since they are spread out so far, but to throw in Hawaii is crazy. It takes me days to pop my ears just flying from Florida to Atlanta. I can't imagine the jet lag for the players during the season.

Anon1717806835

Jun 7, 2024
I am going to have to plead ignorance here - I honestly thought they already were in the Mountain West and had been since the WAC folded.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login