I know we had a tough time last week and there are a lot of big things going on tonight, but

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Do you think we will, and what do you think we'll see differently on the field this week?

What direction do you think we need to address first? Our Offense or our defense? We're not going to solve our problems in one week, but what do you want to see happen this week?

For me, I just wanna see our defense make the other team punt more. It's as simple as that.

You have to start somewhere.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
The lines of scrimmage have to be more contested on both sides of the ball. Defense will have to do it with more bodies and the offense appears to need more time with the blocking schemes.

Reactions: Mjoelner

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Do we have more DL depth this week? That won't help whiffs in open field and generally being out of position on defense but maybe it'll help us not look like a giant ***** in the trenches this week.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
Tackling can't get any worse right? Got to finish tackles especially in the backfield.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
We are going about this all wrong, we need to draft, I mean sign, some of these guys in the portal. If nothing else, we should get this gal.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Defense will have to scrap the scheme entirely to overcome personnel deficiencies.

It is also my experience that high paid coaches almost never scrap their scheme even when all evidence says they should because their ego and salary are more important than some wins for this temporary employer.

Oct 17, 2023
My biggest positive takeaway from last week was that they were able to make adjustments at halftime that helped tremendously. I know, they should have been able to make those changes in the 1st or 2nd quarter. But I am putting my hope in the fact that our head coach(real offensive coordinator) and defensive coordinator are new to those positions and will continue to improve. In the past, we have whole games with no adjustments. Last year we went from first minute of game 1 to last minute of game 12 with no adjustments. We still struggled to stop mini-Alstott in the second half but with missing d-linemen back this weekend we should see an improvement there. I think(hope) we will see continued improvement in the 0-line too. It's hard to see what you need to work on in practice sometimes. They say you always see the biggest improvement in game three. It's game 3 so here's to hoping. It's Toledo but they did go 11-3 last year so hopefully they will put up a fight so we can get a good test of changes and adjustments.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Toledo was way better than ASU last year. Just throwing that out there.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
In the past, we have whole games with no adjustments. Last year we went from first minute of game 1 to last minute of game 12 with no adjustments.
In the "Croom Error" we went from Game 1 to his final game not making any changes, especially in the Gulf Coast Offense w/ McCorvey at the helm of the SS Minnow

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
We will beat an over matched Toledo team and it will tell us again very little about our team. Our issue is both lines. We dont have the talent/players there to win against teams that are on our level (SEC, P4).

We will be able to compete with teams that dont have the players to whip us upfront. The SEC is about to be a different animal though. I can see us beating one team maybe we shouldnt due to our QB and O getting hot, or turnovers... but the line play has to be worlds better and Im not sure that will happen this year and maybe not next. The play and players is/are truly that bad.

patdog

May 28, 2007
We will beat an over matched Toledo team and it will tell us again very little about our team. Our issue is both lines. We dont have the talent/players there to win against teams that are on our level (SEC, P4).

We will be able to compete with teams that dont have the players to whip us upfront. The SEC is about to be a different animal though. I can see us beating one team maybe we shouldnt due to our QB and O getting hot, or turnovers... but the line play has to be worlds better and Im not sure that will happen this year and maybe not next. The play and players is/are truly that bad.
This. We will dominate G5 teams. P5 OL and DL are both gonna give us major problems though. Our DL and LBs are awful. Scheme was awful, but the talent just isn't there.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Defense- we knew we were going to suck this year, so giving up 30 to ASU wasn’t exactly a shock. That said, our defense has to be capable of at least making teams work for a TD, and we didn’t do that last week. Hutzler needs to show us this week that he can get creative with his scheme and adjustments

Offense- We can all blast the defensive scheme and inability to even slow down their vanilla running game, but our offense’s putrid first half performance is why we lost the game. Net -4 pts considering that we scored 3 and then gave up 7 on Shapen’s fumble which is absolutely pathetic. I’ll keep it simple and just say that the entire offense from O line to RBs and even QB need to find their nuts this week and not look like a deer in headlights against a bottom tier Big 12 team

Reactions: patdog

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think the offense will get better as the year goes on. I do not feel similarly about the defense. Us winning 5 or 6 games will likely be solely dependent on if the offense improves enough to win several shootouts.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Defense- we knew we were going to suck this year, so giving up 30 to ASU wasn’t exactly a shock. That said, our defense has to be capable of at least making teams work for a TD, and we didn’t do that last week. Hutzler needs to show us this week that he can get creative with his scheme and adjustments

Offense- We can all blast the defensive scheme and inability to even slow down their vanilla running game, but our offense’s putrid first half performance is why we lost the game. Net -4 pts considering that we scored 3 and then gave up 7 on Shapen’s fumble which is absolutely pathetic. I’ll keep it simple and just say that the entire offense from O line to RBs and even QB need to find their nuts this week and not look like a deer in headlights against a bottom tier Big 12 team
Minor correction- Our defense only gave up 23 points last Saturday night. For as big of a melt we had on here, that’s honestly not terrible. Not saying we should be pleased with the way our rushing defense looked, there’s a ton of room for improvement and that’s putting it mildly.

Reactions: Seinfeld

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I'd tell the DC, "you've got this year to figure out out"

260 rushing yds is honestly very terrible.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Minor correction- Our defense only gave up 23 points last Saturday night. For as big of a melt we had on here, that’s honestly not terrible. Not saying we should be pleased with the way our rushing defense looked, there’s a ton of room for improvement and that’s putting it mildly.
Don't disagree at all, and it's enough to at least give us hope that a couple obvious corrections just might turn this defense into a halfway competent one. I have no illusions of being able to slow down teams like Texas, UGA, and OM, but we need to find a way to at least hang in games with the mid-tier SEC teams

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
Happen this week?

1 Rush for real yards - 120 to 130 yards from the RB position. We're playing a committee so no need for them to tire out. Honestly though, with the seemingly lack of speed, I'd be surprised with 80.

2 Hold them to under 120 yards rushing.

Theconnormead

Jan 26, 2023
Do you think we will, and what do you think we'll see differently on the field this week?

What direction do you think we need to address first? Our Offense or our defense? We're not going to solve our problems in one week, but what do you want to see happen this week?

For me, I just wanna see our defense make the other team punt more. It's as simple as that.

You have to start somewhere.
If I would have gone to bed at halftime, I would have a completely different POV. First, our recruiting for the past several years has not been great and it is showing on the field. As much as we would all like a quick turnaround we don't have the NIL money for it, it's going to be a process. The positive, as bad as we played we had a shot at the end. If we could have gotten off the field I believe we would have tied it up. The offense looked like they had figured it out. Not pumping sunshine, but I believe Saturday night can be a great teaching lesson and something to build off of. I don't believe we will win many SEC games this year, we just don't have the horses. But, D linemen can be found in our area, I'm not saying Jones or Simmons type but solid players to add depth. At this point Lebby looks like a solid hire.

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
It's a rebuild of a program, so there's going to be a lot of rough times until we get it back up and going again. Offense played up tight and offensive play calling looked the same. Being home should fix that. Defensive play calling was abysmal and the DC was completely lost, so good luck on those adjustments. Talent on that side is not good either, so again, good luck. But Toledo isn't strong this year so we should win anyway.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login