I like having a coach who plays no matter what….

jdbulldog

Oct 27, 2007
with 16 players out, many coaches would have withdrawn. The players who traveled wanted to play so he never considered pulling out. My guess is he knew we would probably get clocked. I understand many fans are pissed by the loss. Some are going to complain and go ballistic any time we lose. However, I think most of those were more upset with the way we lost. It didn’t seem we played with team effort. There were some who were dialed up but few and far between. The players said they wanted to play but sure didn’t seem like it. That is on the players. Kudos to our staff for honoring a commitment.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
And I get the frustration with losing and no doubt the offense looked like crap but the main thing is it’s a bowl game. It’s a total crapshoot what you’re going to get out of a team and if they play up to their potential or they just mail it in. It’s just like the bowl game against Louisville when Coach Knox was out there with a bunch of grad assistant coaching and no Fitzgerald and they beat Louisville with Lamar Jackson. Should have never been in that game but there they were coming out with a victory.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Now if we can find players that want to do the same. That was a disinterested bunch Tuesday.

atomic dawg

Apr 4, 2019
with 16 players out, many coaches would have withdrawn. The players who traveled wanted to play so he never considered pulling out. My guess is he knew we would probably get clocked. I understand many fans are pissed by the loss. Some are going to complain and go ballistic any time we lose. However, I think most of those were more upset with the way we lost. It didn’t seem we played with team effort. There were some who were dialed up but few and far between. The players said they wanted to play but sure didn’t seem like it. That is on the players. Kudos to our staff for honoring a commitment.

Im with you on this one. I mean, if Leach had pulled out, what would the fan reaction have been? There would have been a lot of meltdowns. There would have been a lot "he's not the guy" "that's weak" "fire Leach" etc. It was a damned if you do, damned if dont situation.

In my opinion he took the correct approach. Play the game, let the players get the in game experience and the bowl game experience and honor your commitment. Losses suck and to see some of those guys play in such a "uninspired" way is disappointing, but maybe it pays off for some of them next year.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Also respect when we played UGA. That was the turning point for Leach’s offense. Showed fight in that game and showed it could move the ball on elite defenses

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Leach would've played that game with the band, it earned him $100k

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
What's your point? We all knew he had incentives in his contract. With COVID the university more than likely would have honored it. Like ZK said he played UGA and didn't have to.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What's your point? We all knew he had incentives in his contract. With COVID the university more than likely would have honored it. Like ZK said he played UGA and didn't have to.

My point is Mike Leach would probably play the Liberty Bowl with the band for $100k. It's clearly not like he gave much of a **** about actually winning the game.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
We still showed up. Lane Kiffen didn't given the opportunity. I guess I have a different philosophy from y'all. I believe in honoring commitments with a bowl committee or an opponent. At least playing the game you have a shot at winning. If you don't play you wasted a lot of practice time as well. Personally, I'm glad we showed up but disappointed we lost.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
I don't think the band would have suited up. I'm not sure our coach didn't give a sh×t about winning the game. He and coach Arnett looked like they were coaching to me.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
I admire the hell out of Leach for going to war with what he has. Most coaches wouldn’t do that, because of the fear of public backlash if they lose. Leach doesn’t care, and that’s to be respected.

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
In my opinion he took the correct approach. Play the game, let the players get the in game experience and the bowl game experience and honor your commitment. Losses suck and to see some of those guys play in such a "uninspired" way is disappointing, but maybe it pays off for some of them next year.

The question is whether the game experience trumps the damage done to the public image of the program and a possible negative reaction of recruits to such a performance. I say no. Perception goes a long way in sports and MSU's thin hide of years of mediocrity just can't stand the hit.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Nah I don’t think 100k even entered his mind. The guy has made millions over his career. And you think 100k is motivating his decision making?

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
[SIZE=5 said:
oxfordrebel22[/SIZE];2004860]I admire the hell out of Leach for going to war with what he has. Most coaches wouldn’t do that, because of the fear of public backlash if they lose. Leach doesn’t care, and that’s to be respected.

PirateDawg

Jan 9, 2020
My bet is even with canceling due to COVID-19 he gets the money. I agree, it was a non issue.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
What’s that say about the locker room when you have a bunch of guys that won’t play and execute and knock someone in the dirt! What’s that say about the football team culture ? Yeah the players will go out there snd coaches will be but it sure doesn’t look like they were prepared physically or mentally. Might as well not play at all. Some would call that players quitting on their coach or the coach not having the locker room if they won’t perform. I don’t know what’s going on but it’s not just this game. Most games they have come out looking like they have never played before. This game they couldn’t even show up at all.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
I guess I just care about wins... That's what our coach gets paid $5m/y for... Not moral victories of honoring commitments... or telling us what halloween candy he likes... or discussing lawsuits at former schools where they refused to pay him $2.5m/y.... I just care about winning and that is what we are paying for. Lemo did that. We could pay him more and go get a coach for a lot less if all we want to do is show up and honor commitments.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
This reminds me of when other SEC coaches talked about what a great person Croom was. (when your rival is 2-0 against your coach and 'ADMIRES THE HELL OUT OF LEACH')

muddawgs

Aug 22, 2012
What’s that say about the locker room when you have a bunch of guys that won’t play and execute and knock someone in the dirt! What’s that say about the football team culture ? Yeah the players will go out there snd coaches will be but it sure doesn’t look like they were prepared physically or mentally. Might as well not play at all. Some would call that players quitting on their coach or the coach not having the locker room if they won’t perform. I don’t know what’s going on but it’s not just this game. Most games they have come out looking like they have never played before. This game they couldn’t even show up at all.

Bro what the hell are you talking about? I saw a team outmatched because we had a ton of players out. Forbes, Peters, Jett, balled out all game. Rogers played like **** and Walley and several other receivers dropped balls all night. If our offense puts points on the board, we would have won. They didn't. Defense got worn out and probably frustrated due to offense struggling all night and struggled in the 2nd half to stop Texas Tech. You are doing the players a disservice by saying they quit on their coach when I saw those three busting *** all night. And I can guarantee if our team has quit on Leach, no way in hell we would have recruited and flipped guys like we did in the early signing period. Quit being a ***** and move on to next season.

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
The existence of something does not prove anything beyond its existence. You have no idea who worked that into his contract.

If you’ve listened to anything that Leach has said about how he feels about competition, you would know that he would play these games in a parking lot with 11 players. The fact that we travelled to Georgia with 40ish players, the way he criticizes players that opt out, and you think he’ll just throw in the towel at the last minute while he he contemplates 100k? Ridiculous

Feb 23, 2008
You might win some points here if you went back inside the Rebels and tell them.

A 2 day circle jerk has manifested itself over there.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Leach would've played that game with the band, it earned him $100k

Wow, he gets as much for making the Liberty Bowl as he does for making the SEC CG. That seems a little imbalanced.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
because narcissists think they are smarter/better than everyone else... all of your examples are terrible examples of a coach that doesn't care about winning as much as he cares about making a statement about himself and his way... That's all fine and good but it also explains why he loses a lot of games where he has the better team but refuses to make any changes/adjustments.

Edit to add: I don't necessarily think Leach played to get that $100k. it was probably something added as a blanket deal by MSU... because frankly, winning a NC in football at MSU should require a $10M bonus... BUT... I think Leach played the game because he is just a self absorbed idiot who is too hard headed to say 'well, ****... If I have to play all of my backups while the other team is much better off, is me getting my *** kicked a good look?' He never thought of that because he thought his 1998 UK/Tim Couch offense is still the most awesome thing ever and it only doesn't work because it is the player's fault... not his.

Last edited:

Felonious Junk

Oct 23, 2008
Narcissist? Are you diagnosing him?

Dude is just a competition-aholic. He pissed on a dog’s head for stealing his baseball glove for crying out loud.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
uh, 99% of all coaches are narcissists... That's beyond a given... And yes, Leach is in the top 1/10 of 1% of the narcissists. He still runs the same offense he ran and thinks it has not needed any changes since he first started running it. He's one of the most hard headed, non changing coaches ever. You aren't really arguing this, are you?

And being hard headed isn't really being a competitor... he wants to compete but only the way HE WANTS TO... case in point is that all of his coaching tree have adjusted and changed their offenses to suit their personnel. he hasn't. which is why we still get the eggs like Ole Miss and TTU. Dude is about him, not winning.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Bro what the hell are you talking about? I saw a team outmatched because we had a ton of players out. Forbes, Peters, Jett, balled out all game. Rogers played like **** and Walley and several other receivers dropped balls all night. If our offense puts points on the board, we would have won. They didn't. Defense got worn out and probably frustrated due to offense struggling all night and struggled in the 2nd half to stop Texas Tech. You are doing the players a disservice by saying they quit on their coach when I saw those three busting *** all night. And I can guarantee if our team has quit on Leach, no way in hell we would have recruited and flipped guys like we did in the early signing period. Quit being a ***** and move on to next season.

So me being pissed that we shat the bed snd played like **** is being a *****? I would say all you 17ers that make excuses all the time are pussys. Everyone has players opting out or sick. We have players playing like ****.

You want to see a team that came to play watch Tennessee right now.

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
This reminds me of when other SEC coaches talked about what a great person Croom was. (when your rival is 2-0 against your coach and 'ADMIRES THE HELL OUT OF LEACH')

Gosh damn, man. Everything isn’t that serious. I’d admire Leach for playing with what he’s got whether he’d won or lost an Egg Bowl. There’s zero correlation.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005

View attachment 23455

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I just wish Leach would be more consistent. I don't understand how you beat 4 top 25 teams, but lose to Memphis. I think consistency is the biggest issue. Leach is a damn fine coach, and when he's on, he's very hard to beat, but some games it's seems he cashes it in. Players tend to take on the personality of the coach, and that's quite evident during games.

was21

May 29, 2007
There were times when Sherrill seemed to mail it in. He believed that you had to win the month. He would always mail it in when we played Arkansas up there...and LSU as well...either here or there.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login