I love E Furdge Jerseys

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I got an email this morning advertising MSU gameday gear. I guess Will changed his name. There are many more with made up names.

Furdge.png

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I didn't even realize it was a thing, having two players with the same #, until UM got penalized for it during the Egg Bowl a few years back. I think we got the same penalty on a special teams play a couple years ago.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I didn't even realize it was a thing, having two players with the same #, until UM got penalized for it during the Egg Bowl a few years back. I think we got the same penalty on a special teams play a couple years ago.
UM didn't get penalized for it until after a few plays with 2 on the field with the same number. I remember a game where we also had 2 players with the same number on special teams plays and it wasn't penalized. It's just ridiculous. Several years ago, Georgia had 2 running backs with the same number. One more of a power back and the other more of a speedster. They used the duplicate numbers to confuse the defense as to which one was in the game.

Reactions: knock him out john

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
For NIL purposes should wear 0. Could probably pick up som extra sales with a jersey that says 0-Furdge

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
With 85 players on scholarship, it's hard not to have duplicate numbers and maintain any semblance of positional number structure (though that hardly means anything today anyway with everybody kind of wearing every number).
In the NFL, the roster is limited to 52 players, so it's easier not to have that overlap.

The times I remember it coming up was:

During the Egg Bowl when Freeze was putting Nkemdiche in as running back wearing number 5. The refs made him change his jersey because Ole Miss already had a #5 running back so he wore #99 the rest of the game and didn't gain another yard.

During the Memphis game 2 years ago when the ball was downed and the ref put his hand up, but then allowed the Memphis player to return the punt, Memphis had two players on the field at the same time with the same number, but didn't get called for it.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
UM didn't get penalized for it until after a few plays with 2 on the field with the same number. I remember a game where we also had 2 players with the same number on special teams plays and it wasn't penalized. It's just ridiculous. Several years ago, Georgia had 2 running backs with the same number. One more of a power back and the other more of a speedster. They used the duplicate numbers to confuse the defense as to which one was in the game.
Now that duplicate number makes sense.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login