I may be retiring in July.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
All good stuff in this thread. I'm about to be 57 been retired 3 years. I have a ? haven't seen it posted in this thread, how much do y'all think is enough to retire? I also have an advisor, but would like to y'all's thoughts. I'll hang up and listen.
That’s hard to answer because the answer is different for everyone. All that I can tell you is to physically put it on paper. monthly Expenses, health care cost, taxes, travel and vacation money, emergency money, money for potential long term care late in life and that’s expensive, etc, etc, etc. try to think of everything. Then list your savings and any income. Social Security, pension, interest, dividends, etc. Assume that you will live to be 100 because you don’t want to end up with your children funding you and do the math. That’s what I always told my kids, do the math. Put it on paper. If you retire at 65 you Have to Be able to fund yourself for 35 years. You probably won’t have to fund it that long but that is what I think you have to base your numbers on out of respect for your family. I can’t tell you how many times my Dad said that I never expected to live this long. My Parents did not run out of money, but they sure came close. Literally 6 more months and it would have all been on me and my sister. No one wants to create that type situation for their kids. Also you have to estimate future inflation in your cost and also anticipate the normal ebb and flow of the financial markets and interest rates. It’s not an easy process to make a good decision but you need to be sure. If you have lingering doubts about being ready it’s best to hang in there a little longer. I am rambling a bit but I hope this helps. Good luck to you. I do love retirement and strongly recommend it.

Reactions: ABiggerUglierJoe

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
All good stuff in this thread. I'm about to be 57 been retired 3 years. I have a ? haven't seen it posted in this thread, how much do y'all think is enough to retire? I also have an advisor, but would like to y'all's thoughts. I'll hang up and listen.
25-40 times your annual spending is one rule of thumb. The trick is knowing your annual spend. I recommend to all the young adults I talk to about finances to use an app like Mint or Personal Capital, not necessarily to budget (though they can help with that), but to track your spending rigorously and watch your net worth year to year.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
The hardest part is estimating how much you'll need. My grandmother lived off a tiny amount of SS, but she never wanted to do anything but work in the yard and gossip on the phone. She didn't eat out or go anywhere, she was very happy staying at home, that was paid for. My mom, on the other hand, wants to go, go, go and spend, spend, spend, although she doesn't have the retirement income to cover it.

Personally, I'm going to replace my entire take home income, but obviously there won't be near as much in raises or COL increases to keep pace over the long run.

patdog

May 28, 2007
That’s hard to answer because the answer is different for everyone. All that I can tell you is to physically put it on paper. monthly Expenses, health care cost, taxes, travel and vacation money, emergency money, money for potential long term care late in life and that’s expensive, etc, etc, etc. try to think of everything. Then list your savings and any income. Social Security, pension, interest, dividends, etc. Assume that you will live to be 100 because you don’t want to end up with your children funding you and do the math. That’s what I always told my kids, do the math. Put it on paper. If you retire at 65 you Have to Be able to fund yourself for 35 years. You probably won’t have to fund it that long but that is what I think you have to base your numbers on out of respect for your family. I can’t tell you how many times my Dad said that I never expected to live this long. My Parents did not run out of money, but they sure came close. Literally 6 more months and it would have all been on me and my sister. No one wants to create that type situation for their kids. Also you have to estimate future inflation in your cost and also anticipate the normal ebb and flow of the financial markets and interest rates. It’s not an easy process to make a good decision but you need to be sure. If you have lingering doubts about being ready it’s best to hang in there a little longer. I am rambling a bit but I hope this helps. Good luck to you. I do love retirement and strongly recommend it.
You should probably at least double what you think health care cost will be.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
You should probably at least double what you think health care cost will be.
I can tell you from my experience with my parents about 5 years ago nursing home care ran about $7,000 a month for one person. If you dont have specific insurance to cover a nursing home it is all out of pocket. Medicare does not cover it. No one expects to ever be in one of those places but unfortunately that is not reality for many people. Both of my parents were in nursing homes for awhile. Do the math. It adds up real quick. Sadly I learned way more about all of this than I wanted too. It’s a hard road, but part of life.

Fedexdog

Oct 11, 2022
Great question but not enough info to advise anything. One rule was 50% of income but I’d say 70%. Lifestyle, cost of living, etc.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login