I mean.. you gotta go 3 iron played with the ball in the back of your stance… right?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
It seems scary at first, but I made a 20 on the math section of the ACT and know that you can simply add the distance to the house with the distance of the center of the green then subtract both of those divided by two to get 142.5. You can then add that to the center of the green to get 292.5, which suggests you have plenty of room

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
People who can’t count on hitting a driver straight.
*raises hand*
If there is a hazard left or right, 3 iron it is
I had a driving iron for those days I could not hit a wood to save my soul. I usually found out quickly if it would be one of those days in the first couple of holes. I never got into it enough to spend time on lessons, and it showed, but I always hit my irons well, so a driving iron was the answer.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'll give you 5 tries and ill pay you 3 to 1 odds on $200 bet hitting a 36" x 48" square piece of plywood (at 175 yards).
That's not the bet. The bet is hitting a window right behind the green at 175 yards.

Have you ever played a course that's tight with houses on it? Those windows are made with materials that attract golf balls.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Curiosity question. Has anyone damaged property or experienced damage property from an errant shot? When I first started playing all I played was State and Clear Creek so I didn’t have to worry about it. The first time I played a neighborhood course I asked the guy I was playing with what happens if I break a window and he told me the course has insurance to cover those damages. Now that I know people on golf courses I know that isn’t true. When you hit a shot that may have damaged something do you hang around for a second to make sure it’s okay or do you haul ***? I’ve never heard glass break from my own shot but I was on a green one time when someone behind me did it and they checked on the home. Don’t know what came of it though.
I have not but I was told by a lawyer a homeowner actually litigated and appealed it and ultimately the ruling was that if you buy a house in a development with a golf course, you can’t get the benefits and then sue when golf is actually played. Be a different question I guess if the house wasn’t part of the development with the golf course. No clue what state that was in though.
All that to say, I would not check unless it was off the course or if I was worried somebody was hurt. Never had any reason to think I’ve hurt anything like a window but I have bounced a ball off a roof before.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Curiosity question. Has anyone damaged property or experienced damage property from an errant shot? When I first started playing all I played was State and Clear Creek so I didn’t have to worry about it. The first time I played a neighborhood course I asked the guy I was playing with what happens if I break a window and he told me the course has insurance to cover those damages. Now that I know people on golf courses I know that isn’t true. When you hit a shot that may have damaged something do you hang around for a second to make sure it’s okay or do you haul ***? I’ve never heard glass break from my own shot but I was on a green one time when someone behind me did it and they checked on the home. Don’t know what came of it though.
I broke a flower pot on someones back porch one day. I went up a knocked on the back door but nobody was home. No visible security cameras so I picked up my ball and left.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
That's not the bet. The bet is hitting a window right behind the green at 175 yards.

Have you ever played a course that's tight with houses on it? Those windows are made with materials that attract golf balls.
Fair enough. Thought you meant hitting a small target was easy!

Aug 23, 2012
I’ve lived on a neighborhood course for 12 years. About even with the 150 yard marker on a par 4 with a postage stamp green. Most tee shots land about even with the house so they have lost the majority of their steam when they get close. House next door is also about 5 feet closer to the course and has several mature cypress trees that offer protection too. Had tons of ball hit the house, roof, land in the front yard, street, etc. Only have had 1 window broken in 12 years. Sounded like a ceiling fan either outside or in had fell out of the ceiling. Didn’t realize it was a broken window until the guy that did it had moved on to the next hole. Caught up with him and asked him if the ball was his and he admitted to it but didn’t realize he had broke a window. Offered to split the cost of replacement with him 50/50 and he agreed. I’m not naive enough to believe that I don’t bear some of the responsibility for damage since assumed the risk of living on a course. He Venmo’d me half the cost once I got a quote to replace the pane.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
This thread made me realize that we still need to organize a SixPack Bourbon & 4-Ball weekend on of these days

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I just wanna know what tacky-asz golf course let that sign stay up. Trashy.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
This thread made me realize that we still need to organize a SixPack Bourbon & 4-Ball weekend on of these days
If we do can I be on the pairings committee? I have a foursome that will be hilarious.

goindhoo

Feb 29, 2008
I grew up on hole #2 at brookwood cc in south jackson decades ago. 205 yd par 3 with houses left. Our house was in middle of the hole to the left and house was set back 50 yards from OB line. We got balls in the yard all of the time and I think we had two windows cracked over about 20 years. We always had to pay and it was just risk of living on golf course.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I’ve lived on a neighborhood course for 12 years. About even with the 150 yard marker on a par 4 with a postage stamp green. Most tee shots land about even with the house so they have lost the majority of their steam when they get close. House next door is also about 5 feet closer to the course and has several mature cypress trees that offer protection too. Had tons of ball hit the house, roof, land in the front yard, street, etc. Only have had 1 window broken in 12 years. Sounded like a ceiling fan either outside or in had fell out of the ceiling. Didn’t realize it was a broken window until the guy that did it had moved on to the next hole. Caught up with him and asked him if the ball was his and he admitted to it but didn’t realize he had broke a window. Offered to split the cost of replacement with him 50/50 and he agreed. I’m not naive enough to believe that I don’t bear some of the responsibility for damage since assumed the risk of living on a course. He Venmo’d me half the cost once I got a quote to replace the pane.
That was very generous of that golfer. I am sure they felt bad for hitting your home but unless that golf course popped up after the house was built, he didn't owe you anything in the eyes of the law. House was built in the line of fire of bad golf. **** around and find out situation but:

If the golfer hits the wrong club on purpose and hit that window then not only would the golfer be responsible for the damage, he may could be charged with a crime.

Here is a bit of one of those links:

The law states that the golfer who broke a window nor the golf course are required to pay for broken windows or damage as long as they didn’t do it on purpose and the house was built after the course was. If the golfer was playing normally and it was not their intention to cause any harm to your property, then they aren’t liable.

Reactions: Dawg1976

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I do wonder about roads next to golf courses. How does that apply to being there before the course was built or do you have options to take other routes? Google that one next

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Roads are a bit more tricky as I expected.

From what I saw, the golfer would still not be held liable unless he hit the ball on purpose into the road. The golf course possibly could be held accountable if it was proven they didn't take what was considered "normal precautions." That seems a bit objective and it would be bad to get the wrong Judge and it could go either way.

Bottom line, most insurances companies would pay for the repairs and never bother filing a lawsuit. There are lawyers out there perfectly willing to fight the battle but it's not likely a car owner or insurance co. would win unless it's a brand new facility that didn't take any precautions.

Aug 23, 2012
That was very generous of that golfer. I am sure they felt bad for hitting your home but unless that golf course popped up after the house was built, he didn't owe you anything in the eyes of the law. House was built in the line of fire of bad golf. **** around and find out situation but:

If the golfer hits the wrong club on purpose and hit that window then not only would the golfer be responsible for the damage, he may could be charged with a crime.

Here is a bit of one of those links:

The law states that the golfer who broke a window nor the golf course are required to pay for broken windows or damage as long as they didn’t do it on purpose and the house was built after the course was. If the golfer was playing normally and it was not their intention to cause any harm to your property, then they aren’t liable.

I think the right thing to do is to offer to pay for it regardless of he is liable or not. If I break or damage someone’s property on accident I’m at the very least going to offer to pay for the damages.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
150yds?
Take a little off my 56 degree 😉

Last edited:

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I think the right thing to do is to offer to pay for it regardless of he is liable or not. If I break or damage someone’s property on accident I’m at the very least going to offer to pay for the damages.

If you put your house on a golf course in a position that could be hit, it's your fault not the golfers. Period.

What's right is accept the fact your house is in the line of fire and deal with it. I would put a net up myself.

Aug 23, 2012
If you put your house on a golf course in a position that could be hit, it's your fault not the golfers. Period.

What's right is accept the fact your house is in the line of fire and deal with it. I would put a net up myself.
Perhaps but the decent thing to do is to offer to pay for it at the very least. Golf is a gentleman’s game based on doing the right/decent thing. I’ve had a million balls hit my house. Confronted exactly one person over it and it was the guy who broke the window. Was nice about it and so was he when it was brought to his attention.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
The golf course and homeowners should pool their resources and set up a plan. No golfer should pay more than he already has for a schitty shot.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login