I realize everything sucks more after a loss

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
But the game day experience was awful last night.

Campus looked awful. Trash everywhere.
Loud ghetto music playing during national anthem - I thought it was coming from UK locker room, but nope - the Junction.
Ribbon boards were out in spots.
Other game scores on the ribbon board were missing team logos (would show 21-13 with no teams)
They kept advertising MSU Soccer playing Ole Miss "tomorrow" - that was a month ago. NCAA bids come out Monday.
Concession lines were terribly managed.
Couldn't find nachos without pork. And the pork sucked.
No lyrics to the alma mater on the Jumbotron when we were asked to "rise and sing"

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006

Other game scores on the ribbon board were missing team logos (would show 21-13 with no teams)
They kept advertising MSU Soccer playing Ole Miss "tomorrow" - that was a month ago. NCAA bids come out Monday.
No lyrics to the alma mater on the Jumbotron when we were asked to "rise and sing"

The pork sucked?

#FireSelmon **

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

Loud ghetto music playing during national anthem - I thought it was coming from UK locker room, but nope - the Junction.

C’mon, man, get a life. It’s just entertainment

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
It’s definitely not. It’s a business. We are competing for people’s time and money. And more importantly prospective students.
Well, to be fair, people aren’t going to be basing their game attendance (or college attendance decisions) off ribbon boards, pork nachos, or tailgate music.

Product on the field, costs of attendance (including availability of hotels) is always going to be what drives those things. You always get what you pay for, and the school with the cheapest season tickets, lowest athletic department donations, and lowest tuition in the SEC is probably going to keep ranking near the bottom of the league in gameday creature comforts.

Reactions: Mr. Cook

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Well, to be fair, people aren’t going to be basing their game attendance (or college attendance decisions) off ribbon boards, pork nachos, or tailgate music.

Product on the field, costs of attendance (including availability of hotels) is always going to be what drives those things. You always get what you pay for, and the school with the cheapest season tickets, lowest athletic department donations, and lowest tuition in the SEC is probably going to keep ranking near the bottom of the league in gameday creature comforts.
We can disagree. Everything makes an impression and influences behavior. Not to mention we anre anlways trying to improve the on field product. And I don’t think it’s that expensive to do some of this stuff right.

and it starts with moving Southern Tailgate to the Junction.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007

So where would you start to raise things up a notch or two ?

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

We get it, MSU has a lower budget. But that's no excuse for not doing the little things right. That's just poor management. And newsflash, the little things are cheap. GOT to get those right when you are competing with others with more budget.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I've been going to MSU games since the 70s, concession lines have always been long and poorly managed.

I'm assuming most concession stands are contracted out to Armark?

I doubt this is even possible at this point in our society, but it would be nice to let nonprofits run stands for a percent of the profits. Boy Scouts, church groups, military/vet groups, etc. I think the Shriners did this years ago, but like many civic organizations, I think their memberships have shrunk greatly over the last twenty years.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
So where would you start to raise things up a notch or two ?
I mean, things should work. Fix the ribbon boards? I don’t know. I would never really pay attention to those because I have a phone that updates a lot faster than those do.

Music in the junction? That’s always been a thing, everyone has a music set up….and just about everything that people play loudly at tailgates sucks….no matter what genre. I don’t know which one in particular was so loud that it could be heard in the stadium. Guess I’d ask what the decibels were, are they in compliance with whatever noise ordinances are enforced, and so forth. If they are, great. If not, have them turn their **** down. Not that hard.

Pork nachos? I mean, don’t threaten me with a good time there. Should be illegal for there to not be pork. And as far as quality is concerned, it’s gameday food. I’m not expecting Michelin stars. Just don’t run out of stuff, and keep the lines moving.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I mean, things should work. Fix the ribbon boards? I don’t know. I would never really pay attention to those because I have a phone that updates a lot faster than those do.

Music in the junction? That’s always been a thing, everyone has a music set up….and just about everything that people play loudly at tailgates sucks….no matter what genre. I don’t know which one in particular was so loud that it could be heard in the stadium. Guess I’d ask what the decibels were, are they in compliance with whatever noise ordinances are enforced, and so forth. If they are, great. If not, have them turn their **** down. Not that hard.

Pork nachos? I mean, don’t threaten me with a good time there. Should be illegal for there to not be pork. And as far as quality is concerned, it’s gameday food. I’m not expecting Michelin stars. Just don’t run out of stuff, and keep the lines moving.
Who is your carrier?!? I get nothing with ATT. It’s another awful part of Gameday.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
We get it, MSU has a lower budget. But that's no excuse for not doing the little things right. That's just poor management. And newsflash, the little things are cheap. GOT to get those right when you are competing with others with more budget.
Agree we are already paying people for tending to the "little things" and they are failing miserably. IMO all this is because of bad management and it's from the top down at MSU right now.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Management of anything is not cheap. If we’re lacking in that department, there are probably some $80,000 per year positions that have to be created to dedicate just to additional operations management in DWS and the Hump for 20 days a year. Can it be done? Of course. But that money’s coming from somewhere. Little things add up.

Overall, I’m just saying people have been complaining about crappy jumbotron / ribbon boards, crappy gameday food, smelly cups, long lines, crappy music that’s too loud, etc. at DWS for 30+ years. Under every head coach and every AD. The older people get, the more those mundane things bother them. Then the young folks make fun of those old folks because of how sensitive they are to minor inconveniences. Then those young folks become the olds and so the cycle repeats.

Nobody complains about any of it when we’re 8-4. Nobody ever talks about how good any of it is when we’re 5-7. Fix that part and everything else will take care of itself.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Who is your carrier?!? I get nothing with ATT. It’s another awful part of Gameday.
Verizon here, but I haven’t been back yet this year to be able to tell you if its any good or not. In the past it was fine.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Management of anything is not cheap. If we’re lacking in that department, there are probably some $80,000 per year positions that have to be created to dedicate just to additional operations management in DWS and the Hump for 20 days a year. Can it be done? Of course. But that money’s coming from somewhere. Little things add up.

Overall, I’m just saying people have been complaining about crappy jumbotron / ribbon boards, crappy gameday food, smelly cups, long lines, crappy music that’s too loud, etc. at DWS for 30+ years. Under every head coach and every AD. The older people get, the more those mundane things bother them. Then the young folks make fun of those old folks because of how sensitive they are to minor inconveniences. Then those young folks become the olds and so the cycle repeats.

Nobody complains about any of it when we’re 8-4. Nobody ever talks about how good any of it is when we’re 5-7. Fix that part and everything else will take care of itself.
Maybe. Or maybe the entire department is just complacent. Not hard to figure where that attitude would have come from.

And we'll never achieve sustained success when we're complacent.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We can disagree. Everything makes an impression and influences behavior. Not to mention we anre anlways trying to improve the on field product. And I don’t think it’s that expensive to do some of this stuff right.

and it starts with moving Southern Tailgate to the Junction.
What’s the deal now with Southern Tailgate and why can’t they set up in the junction?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
What’s the deal now with Southern Tailgate and why can’t they set up in the junction?
Because they contract with the university and the university tells them where to be. So in short it should be easy. The school needs to move them

Reactions: Maroon13

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Because they contract with the university and the university tells them where to be. So in short it should be easy. The school needs to move them
Gotcha. I guess the second question is how does that fix the music problem? They are just the set up company. Can’t whoever occupies the tents still do whatever they want while they are renting?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Gotcha. I guess the second question is how does that fix the music problem? They are just the set up company. Can’t whoever occupies the tents still do whatever they want while they are renting?
The people occupying their tents are not rowdy and wreckless students and locals. Its families. This would disperse that rowdy crowd that’s making the Junction not something to be proud of.

Reactions: Maroon13

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
The loud music was coming from certain individuals who only occupy that space on homecoming. Arrests were made. It was very unsafe and uncomfortable in that area.

Unacceptable to be quite honest. A very poor reflection of MSU.

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Didn't we have like a month to correct some of these issues?
The whole stadium was lit up Friday night including the jumbotrons and ribbon boards. Apparently we have no one smart enough to throw in some inputs to make sure everything is working or reviewing ads on the jumbotron to make sure some aren't a month out of date. Its actually pretty damn inexcusable.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
It’s definitely not. It’s a business. We are competing for people’s time and money. And more importantly prospective students.

No question. But is it *your* business? Is it your job? Likely not. You’re a likely a consumer — not part of the MSU “business” enterprise. (Unless you’re kicking $MM, then maybe you have influence)

• Sad
Reactions: Anon1697564126

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015

Ribbon boards are the kinds of things we put our money into. They should fully work! I’d much rather glance up to a ribbon board than scroll through my phone during the game.

Dawg84

Jul 28, 2015
Getting all that obnoxious chaos out of the main entrances to the stadium would make a huge difference. It would still be tailgating, but on an entirely different level!

Walkthedawg

Oct 3, 2022
There are 9 people in the AD that deal with fan experience. 9. That was on a breakdown here not long ago.

Reactions: Leeshouldveflanked

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008

^^^^^ low expectation guy, right here

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
The people occupying their tents are not rowdy and wreckless students and locals. Its families. This would disperse that rowdy crowd that’s making the Junction not something to be proud of.
I don’t know if that’s 100% true. Pretty sure there is no pre-requisite for using ST that is age-based or any other screening process that filters out rowdy behavior. You pay the money, you get the tent and the generator, and you bring whatever else you want to hook up on your own dime. Cooking equipment, sound equipment, whatever.

Any group of folks can all throw in and get a tent. Happens a lot.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
And I’ll throw in that one of the two elevators going to Club Level and suites with the Guvnor and his security detail in tow went out of service.
That was a cluster.
We need some escalators to help facilitate getting to Club, Suites and Upper deck on the East side

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
^^^^^^ another low expectation guy, right here

Exactly. Be happy we’re in the SEC, collect TV $$, and be competitive.

But flip the question: Tell me why I should have high expectations for a football program that is .~500 for life?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
No question. But is it *your* business? Is it your job? Likely not. You’re a likely a consumer — not part of the MSU “business” enterprise. (Unless you’re kicking $MM, then maybe you have influence)

^^^^^^ another low expectation guy, right here
Mr. Cook’s “All I see are 3 wins” ain’t just schtick.

He may be the only SPSer who’s not disappointed in the season.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
This is the classic broken window theory at work. If we tolerate all these subpar small things, it will build up into a second-rate experience and perception will be that we are a second-rate school that should be in CUSA or Dii.
This in turn creates problems recruiting potential students.

But given our second-rate recruiting of potential students, this mentality doesn’t surprise me. Just disappoints me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login