I realize everything sucks more after a loss

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
This is the classic broken window theory at work. If we tolerate all these subpar small things, it will build up into a second-rate experience and perception will be that we are a second-rate school that should be in CUSA or Dii.
This in turn creates problems recruiting potential students.

But given our second-rate recruiting of potential students, this mentality doesn’t surprise me. Just disappoints me.

So we are Vanderbilt without the academic standards?*****

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
It’s definitely not. It’s a business. We are competing for people’s time and money. And more importantly prospective students.
I agree it’s an inferior product and needs to change. Very Sad “State” of affairs, it’s like there’s zero leadership anywhere.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Interesting. How much $$ have you invested?
2 degrees. Season tickets for more years than I can count. Bulldog Club. Bulldog Initiative. And more importantly more emotion and give a 17 than most anyone.

Reactions: Mjoelner

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I don’t know if that’s 100% true. Pretty sure there is no pre-requisite for using ST that is age-based or any other screening process that filters out rowdy behavior. You pay the money, you get the tent and the generator, and you bring whatever else you want to hook up on your own dime. Cooking equipment, sound equipment, whatever.

Any group of folks can all throw in and get a tent. Happens a lot.
Yeah but that’s not what happens. The price point typically rids you of the people who are creating an environment we aren’t proud of. These people are not gonna pay $3500 a year. They will all just set up somewhere else. And likely not all by each other.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I don’t know if that’s 100% true. Pretty sure there is no pre-requisite for using ST that is age-based or any other screening process that filters out rowdy behavior. You pay the money, you get the tent and the generator, and you bring whatever else you want to hook up on your own dime. Cooking equipment, sound equipment, whatever.

Any group of folks can all throw in and get a tent. Happens a lot.
Dude, these people aren't paying the ST prices. Hell, I earn a good living. Those I tailgate with and others around me, none of us will pay their prices.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
2 degrees. Season tickets for more years than I can count. Bulldog Club. Bulldog Initiative. And more importantly more emotion and give a 17 than most anyone.

Your passion is admirable and your generosity I’m quite sure parallels your passion.

Everyone needs something to believe in

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Dude, these people aren't paying the ST prices. Hell, I earn a good living. Those I tailgate with and others around me, none of us will pay their prices.
I don’t know who “these people” are, but if the $3500 number is correct….you get 20 folks and that’s only $175 a year. That’s not hard to do, even for college students or young alumni. Anything is affordable if enough people throw in on it. And if its a rowdy crew, that only makes it worse because you have more people there causing a ruckus. And if its only a single-game set up and not all year, obviously you can knock off about 85% of that cost.

And ultimately, if what I’m saying is incorrect or not applicable, its going to lead to a situation where you are potentially pricing college students out of the Junction. If that’s the mission, then OK, but I don’t see that going over too well.

Last edited:

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
^^^^^ low expectation guy, right here
Actually, I have no expectations at all, since I’m not a season ticket holder anymore.

But allow me to ask the question a different way. In your head, think about what is the best gameday experience in the SEC. By gameday experience, I mean literally everything besides the product on the field that is in and around the stadium that the fans interact with - tailgating, parking, concessions, ticket lines, stuff to keep kids occupied, stadium Wi-Fi, scoreboards / displays, and so forth. Could be a different answer for different people. That’s fine.

Now, think about MSU. If MSU were to match all the awesomeness of whatever gameday experience that was in your mind, how much more would you be willing to pay for season tickets? 10% more? 15% more? 25% more? Keep in mind, the on-field product is the same regardless.

There’s no real wrong answers. Its totally reasonable to want the ribbon boards to work and wanting tasty nachos if you’re spending your money to be there. But 8dog is right - it is a business. Businesses have limited resources, and they allocate them in ways they feel provides the most return on investment. Its likely our resources to dedicated to things like ribbon board / digital displays are not adequate - because they aren’t significant revenue drivers. Or maybe the displays themselves or the software are deficient / not reliable. There will be varying opinions on that, but the bottom line is that we’re not going to be the cheapest ticket (which we curently are, by quite a bit) AND the lowest AD budget AND be an awesome gameday experience all at the same time. Something has to give somewhere in that equation - its a zero sum game.

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
If you are an SEC athletic program with an SEC budget and you’re going to ask people to devote a lot of time and money into your program, the least we can expect in return is some attention to detail.
Hahahahahahaha!

Speaking from experience and my life as an Attention to Detail Spectrum Guy, you do not want one of us to be a part of Fan Experiences…

Everything will be regimented and organized as much as possible - which is when you consider MSU fans: NOT AT ALL. I’d say it’d be like Herding Cats but Herding Cats might be easier

Organization and MSU Fandom…

I’ve not laughed so much in years.

😂

• Haha
Reactions: Dawgg and Mr. Cook

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Actually, I have no expectations at all, since I’m not a season ticket holder anymore.

But allow me to ask the question a different way. In your head, think about what is the best gameday experience in the SEC. By gameday experience, I mean literally everything besides the product on the field that is in and around the stadium that the fans interact with - tailgating, parking, concessions, ticket lines, stuff to keep kids occupied, stadium Wi-Fi, scoreboards / displays, and so forth. Could be a different answer for different people. That’s fine.

Now, think about MSU. If MSU were to match all the awesomeness of whatever gameday experience that was in your mind, how much more would you be willing to pay for season tickets? 10% more? 15% more? 25% more? Keep in mind, the on-field product is the same regardless.

There’s no real wrong answers. Its totally reasonable to want the ribbon boards to work and wanting tasty nachos if you’re spending your money to be there. But 8dog is right - it is a business. Businesses have limited resources, and they allocate them in ways they feel provides the most return on investment. Its likely our resources to dedicated to things like ribbon board / digital displays are not adequate - because they aren’t significant revenue drivers. Or maybe the displays themselves or the software are deficient / not reliable. There will be varying opinions on that, but the bottom line is that we’re not going to be the cheapest ticket (which we curently are, by quite a bit) AND the lowest AD budget AND be an awesome gameday experience all at the same time. Something has to give somewhere in that equation - its a zero sum game.

Although some might say “TLDR” — I didn’t. Well said.

I’ll double down on your statement by saying that on the whole, the “Gameday” experience components on the whole have been neglected for quite some time.

It is a subset of a larger, systemic problem.

LandingDog

Jul 30, 2023
The students need to be priced out of the Junction. They trash it every game. It blows my mind how they trash the place each game. I like to have a good time as much as the next person but have a little bit of pride in your surroundings. It is embarrassing to walk through that area before and after games. Put the students and free tent areas in the bowl of the amphitheater and move Southern Traditions into the Junction and immediate surrounding areas.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
17 guys... they replaced cattle troughs with individual urinals and toilets. What more do you pre-madonnas want?***

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t know who “these people” are, but if the $3500 number is correct….you get 20 folks and that’s only $175 a year. That’s not hard to do, even for college students or young alumni.
20 people?!?!?!?

You have 20 people you want to hang out with on a regular basis? Ok, prom king.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
The students need to be priced out of the Junction. They trash it every game. It blows my mind how they trash the place each game. I like to have a good time as much as the next person but have a little bit of pride in your surroundings. It is embarrassing to walk through that area before and after games. Put the students and free tent areas in the bowl of the amphitheater and move Southern Traditions into the Junction and immediate surrounding areas.
Yeah... let's completely ban the college students from a section of the college campus where they congregate before a college football game.***

Reactions: Perd Hapley

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
20 people?!?!?!?

You have 20 people you want to hang out with on a regular basis? Ok, prom king.

I mean that’s 10 couples? Or 20 single guys that each would only be back for 50-60% of games so you have maybe no more than 12-15 at a time? I’m no prom king but I’ve been both a member and a visitor to multiple tailgates with that many regulars.

Or just call it 15 people, it’s $230 a year. 10, it’s $350 a year. None of the above are cost prohibitive for most people.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I mean that’s 10 couples? Or 20 single guys that each would only be back for 50-60% of games so you have maybe no more than 12-15 at a time? I’m no prom king but I’ve been both a member and a visitor to multiple tailgates with that many regulars.

Or just call it 15 people, it’s $230 a year. 10, it’s $350 a year. None of the above are cost prohibitive for most people.
Good on ya. Sadly, there were times in my life where I probably had a consistent group around me in the double digits, but alas, it gets more difficult to create and maintain friendships as I grow older.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Interesting. How much $$ have you invested? You’re a likely a consumer — not part of the MSU “business” enterprise. (Unless you’re kicking $MM, then maybe you have influence)

I'll chime in here. I attended and graduated from here, as did my wife and two kids. I've been a season ticket holder for almost 40 years in football, baseball and on occasional years basketball both men's and women's. If I never gave a penny outside of that (which I have given to Bulldog Club for most all of the years I've had tickets), I've got every right to chime in w/ an opinion on how my university looks to myself, my family and our guests on any given Saturday. You sit back, behave and be quiet, and let a few "$MM kick in" contributors run things if you want to but good luck tell people on a free message board to keep their opinions to themselves.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
I'll chime in here. I attended and graduated from here, as did my wife and two kids. I've been a season ticket holder for almost 40 years in football, baseball and on occasional years basketball both men's and women's. If I never gave a penny outside of that (which I have given to Bulldog Club for most all of the years I've had tickets), I've got every right to chime in w/ an opinion on how my university looks to myself, my family and our guests on any given Saturday. You sit back, behave and be quiet, and let a few "$MM kick in" contributors run things if you want to but good luck tell people on a free message board to keep their opinions to themselves.

Nice speech, but, yeah, you missed my point.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Good on ya. Sadly, there were times in my life where I probably had a consistent group around me in the double digits, but alas, it gets more difficult to create and maintain friendships as I grow older.
I certainly agree with this. And I wasn’t close friends with every single person at any tailgate I’ve ever joined / visited. Just saying, its not uncommon for loosely connected individuals to band together for the purpose of saving money.

Reactions: Dawgg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login