I remember 10 months ago, the prevailing opinion on this board

patdog

May 28, 2007
was that Lemonis job was safe this year. Anyone still feel that way now? It's early, and there's a chance he could get things on the right track this year, but if he doesn't, I don't see any way he can survive.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Anyone still feel that way now?

Reactions: Dawg1976

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I don’t think Lemonis’ fate is tied to the overreactions this board has to every loss of a very young baseball team. We aren’t going to win every game or play well in every game. Assess where we are in April / May by all means, but before last night we’d won 3 straight against quality competition.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
If the season completely goes off the rails, he'll sacrifice Foxhall for another year.

Probably but what good does that do us? What pitching coach can we get on effectively a one year deal? Feels like delaying the inevitable.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
was that Lemonis job was safe this year. Anyone still feel that way now? It's early, and there's a chance he could get things on the right track this year, but if he doesn't, I don't see any way he can survive.
i said this in another thread a couple of weeks back. Say Saban wins a NC. Goes 4-8 the following year, then starts off the next year 1-3. Is he feeling heat?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
i said this in another thread a couple of weeks back. Say Saban wins a NC. Goes 4-8 the following year, then starts off the next year 1-3. Is he feeling heat?

Another bad comparison. Saban has a much longer track record and has established it with the program fully his. However Lem has proven the more the program becomes his the worse we get.

And think how bad we would be without the portal You can plan with the portal going forward but this team wasn’t planned with the portal in mind. The portal just bailed him out…kind of.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Another bad comparison. Saban has a much longer track record and has established it with the program fully his. However Lem has proven the more the program becomes his the worse we get.

And think how bad we would be without the portal You can plan with the portal going forward but this team wasn’t planned with the portal in mind. The portal just bailed him out…kind of.
just to be clear on my point. i think Saban would be feeling massive heat in that scenario that I posed

Reactions: hdogg and Xenomorph

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Not saying it is, but usually, the HC will sacrifice an assistant or two to keep his job another year.
I meant that more rhetorical rather than directed at you… Meant that our problems run a lot deeper than our pitching coach.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I don’t think Lemonis’ fate is tied to the overreactions this board has to every loss of a very young baseball team. We aren’t going to win every game or play well in every game. Assess where we are in April / May by all means, but before last night we’d won 3 straight against quality competition.
What are you smoking? Where do you get ASU is quality competition? They lost by 10 to UC Irvine last night. They will
probably get swept and be at .500

USM has shown nothing this year either. Nothing. Should’ve been swept at home by Illinois, lucky to win in extra.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
If we miss a regional again he has to go. There is no excuse for us to not make the postseason 2 seasons in a row. There are very few programs that put the resources towards baseball that we do. There is only one that spends the money we do to look like the Bad News Bears for 2 years in a row.

We can't even play 17ing defense.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Saban has multiple national championships, conference championships, playoff appearances, etc, with players he recruited.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
If we're worse than last year that's likely an indication of his recruiting ability and ability to evaluate talent (players and staff). Does that suddenly improve with another year?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
We can sell the stadium and fan support and tradition although that tradition comes with only one Natty. Does that beat out other schools with nice NIL's for players?

Reactions: LimaoCabeca
Aug 22, 2012
Our problem is relying too much on showcase recruiting. We aren’t watching guys in game situations. Like Dan Campbell said this week “you’ve got to watch the tape”. Players with talent can prepare for a showcase and look like gold. Players that know how to play show up on tape or in person in game play. Showcases don’t show how well someone locates the second and third time through the order. Showcases don’t show how well someone hits in pressure situation. How well they adjust during slumps etc. We are full of showcase guys and travel (who can afford it) ball all stars.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We can sell the stadium and fan support and tradition although that tradition comes with only one Natty. Does that beat out other schools with nice NIL's for players?

We aren’t having any issues recruiting. The staff just made some big mistakes with last years freshman pitching class. Some of that was loyalty to old commits.

But also Cade, Fristoe, Tepper were all top 115 guys. Hunt was 267. It’s just a lack of development

Last edited:
Reactions: ababyatemydingo

kired

Aug 22, 2008
We gave jomo 2 years just because. Put up with Croom for 5 years and Sherrill 3 years of terrible results. I can’t justify firing the only coach to lead us to a NC after two ****** seasons.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Our problem is relying too much on showcase recruiting. We aren’t watching guys in game situations. Like Dan Campbell said this week “you’ve got to watch the tape”. Players with talent can prepare for a showcase and look like gold. Players that know how to play show up on tape or in person in game play. Showcases don’t show how well someone locates the second and third time through the order. Showcases don’t show how well someone hits in pressure situation. How well they adjust during slumps etc. We are full of showcase guys and travel (who can afford it) ball all stars.

Every school uses the showcases as their primary recruiting ground. Its why you have kids that have never played HS ball committing to big time programs. It’s also how you can see large quantities of kids in one trip playing against high level comp. That’s better than driving to one school to see one kid that may not see a pitch to hit.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Is it the pitching coach's fault that we're fielding at .946 ?

Its not any coaches’ fault that we have a .946 fielding %. There’s not nearly enough practice time even at the high school level to work on fielding….let alone college. If players are having issues there its on them to fix it and put in time on their own to do so.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Its not any coaches’ fault that we have a .946 fielding %. There’s not nearly enough practice time even at the high school level to work on fielding….let alone college. If players are having issues there its on them to fix it and put in time on their own to do so.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Obviously no one knows exactly what has happened, but I suspect that the whole program kind of put it on cruise control after the 21 Natty and it put us in a hole we don’t seem to be able to dig out of. Kind of lost focus while we were basking in the glow of our championship. No more Jake Mangum or Tanner Allen types around to be our leaders. Coaches and players alike must rekindle that internal fire that creates a refuse to lose mentality. Just because we won it all in 21 you can’t assume that future opponents will just fold up like a Walmart lawn chair when they play you. Coaches need to be leaders but don’t necessarily to be the firey type in baseball. On the other hand, the player leaders need to be a bit more intense. If you put either Jake or Tanner on our current team I think it takes on a very different personality and is way more successful. Could be that I don’t have a clue with my opinion, it this is my best guess.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
What are you smoking? Where do you get ASU is quality competition? They lost by 10 to UC Irvine last night. They will
probably get swept and be at .500

USM has shown nothing this year either. Nothing. Should’ve been swept at home by Illinois, lucky to win in extra.

BS. Arizona State is a Top 15 program historically that always has talent. And Irvine isn’t a slouch program either, been to the CWS twice in the past 15 years.

USM will be what they always are….strong regional team at minimum with an outside chance to host.

You must not have been around long enough to see MSU have teams that win 18-19 SEC games yet still lose twice in a weekend to the likes of Holy Cross or Central Arkansas. Our schedule this year is pretty decent and we’re gonna drop some games in the nonconference. It happens.

patdog

May 28, 2007
BS. Arizona State is a Top 15 program historically that always has talent. And Irvine isn’t a slouch program either, been to the CWS twice in the past 15 years.

USM will be what they always are….strong regional team at minimum with an outside chance to host.

You must not have been around long enough to see MSU have teams that win 18-19 SEC games yet still lose twice in a weekend to the likes of Holy Cross or Central Arkansas. Our schedule this year is pretty decent and we’re gonna drop some games in the nonconference. It happens.
ASU hasn’t been relevant in college baseball in a while. You’re thinking of Arizona. They were 13-17 in the PAC last year & picked in the bottom half again this year.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022

To me it's not the wins and losses. It's the walks and errors. **** happens and you lose games but we don't play baseball the right way.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
It appears that someone in the athletic administration, after the near misses with the women's basketball team in recent years, said "never again" and made the deal with the dead Indians in 2021. We are now in the payback phase of that deal, wandering in the wilderness. Hopefully, its not for 40 years.***

patdog

May 28, 2007
THREAD BOTTOM LINE: WE ARE A BASEBALL SKOOL THAT DONUT PLAY BASEBALL
In the history of our program we never finished last in the SEC until 2007. Since then we have 4 last place, 1 next to last, & are picked to finish there again this year. I know we’ve had some real successful seasons in there too, but seasons like that just can’t happen more than once every 20 years or so

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
It appears that someone in the athletic administration, after the near misses with the women's basketball team in recent years, said "never again" and made the deal with the dead Indians in 2021. We are now in the payback phase of that deal, wandering in the wilderness. Hopefully, its not for 40 years.***
I thought that Dak orchestrated the treaty with the dead Indians. Apparently we broke the treaty somehow and they are back on the warpath. Hopefully Dak will have a Son that can once again appease the dead Indians in about 20 years. Until then I guess we are just screwed.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

I was one that thought it would be next to impossible for Lemonis's job to be on the line after this season, but that was based on what I thought was a reasonable assumption that there was simply no chance that we could be as bad or even worse than last season. Between our awful results last year, lack of player development, and poor performance this year in so many stages of the game, I've now gotta think that Lemonis's job is on the line this year too. Everything that we're witnessing is completely inexcusable for the MSU baseball program no matter how many rings are on your fingers.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Having a nice new laid back AD will probably buy him another year after this year.

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
In the history of our program we never finished last in the SEC until 2007. Since then we have 4 last place, 1 next to last, & are picked to finish there again this year. I know we’ve had some real successful seasons in there too, but seasons like that just can’t happen more than once every 20 years or so
Having a nice new laid back AD probably will buy him another year after this year.
iTS CALLED “CALIFORNICATION”
(OR YER MISS’IPPI HAS JUST BEEN CALIFORNIA-ED)

that is all

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login