I think it's safe to say

patdog

May 28, 2007
We know we don’t suck. So that’s a big improvement over last year. We also know that the Florida game looks a lot more winnable now than it did 6 hours ago. We know that Coleman is a legit player. And we know that Shapen has to take a lot fewer hits than he did tonight.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
We know we don’t suck. So that’s a big improvement over last year. We also know that the Florida game looks a lot more winnable now than it did 6 hours ago. We know that Coleman is a legit player. And we know that Shapen has to take a lot fewer hits than he did tonight.
Pretty dang close to what I was gonna say. I’m confident that we’ve got a QB, we’ve got a handful of playmakers, and we don’t suck. I also saw enough to know we’re not gonna win 10 games, but that wasn’t ever what anybody was expecting.

All I was hoping to see tonight is a glimmer of hope that we might win 6, and I got that

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Where was Blanton? He disappeared middle ways through the second quarter.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
that after 3.25hrs we don't really know yet what we have, (Got an idea though). We are going to have to figure out a way to run the ball to keep defenses somewhat honest. Not sure without a running game we can continue throwing the ball the way we did against teams with more talent than EKU. We will know next week.
Yeah initial reaction is, I've liked to see State dominate the LOS a little more on offense. We did occasionally on defense. When we had to. However the running game needs to come around.

But I like our chances to start 4-0.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
And we know Parsons still plays like 💩
I'll say as a team there is a lot of work to do. A few stood out but overall to win 6 they are going to have to improve a lot on the lines. If the line struggled against EKU, and they both did, I hope it is not talent that was the cause but something that is correctable.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
I'll say as a team there is a lot of work to do. A few stood out but overall to win 6 they are going to have to improve a lot on the lines. If the line struggled against EKU, and they both did, I hope it is not talent that was the cause but something that is correctable.
Agree, but I will also say that in the last 15 years or so the offensive line seems like they always start slow. I think we have the pieces there to become pretty good as they get more comfortable with this offense. The fumbles need to get fixed this week.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Agree, but I will also say that in the last 15 years or so the offensive line seems like they always start slow. I think we have the pieces there to become pretty good as they get more comfortable with this offense. The fumbles need to get fixed this week.
I do agree that it takes OL time to gel and usually improvements are seen from week 1 - week 3.

Ballyhoo77

Aug 13, 2021
that after 3.25hrs we don't really know yet what we have, (Got an idea though). We are going to have to figure out a way to run the ball to keep defenses somewhat honest. Not sure without a running game we can continue throwing the ball the way we did against teams with more talent than EKU. We will know next week.
WTF are you talking about?! We look dangerous in a way we haven’t in a long time. Even under Dan, I wouldn’t use “explosive” and I would now.

OopsICroomedmypants

Sep 29, 2022
For those worried about how our team will perform on the o-line and defense against SEC teams: What did you expect? We don't have the talent to dominate or even be middle of the pack on defense. I was impressed with the coaching and that will pay dividends over time. Our passing offense didn't fully open up I don't think, but we have deep threats on offense and a QB that can get it to them. That's enough to make it a fun season no matter if we win 4, 5,6,7, or 8.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
For those worried about how our team will perform on the o-line and defense against SEC teams: What did you expect? We don't have the talent to dominate or even be middle of the pack on defense. I was impressed with the coaching and that will pay dividends over time. Our passing offense didn't fully open up I don't think, but we have deep threats on offense and a QB that can get it to them. That's enough to make it a fun season no matter if we win 4, 5,6,7, or 8.
I expected to be able to run the ball on a FCS school we are going to need to be able to do that. I'm not saying we won't get there. I was expecting to be able to throw the ball, kinda what Lebby is known for and Shapen has a history for elusiveness and being able to throw. Other than not being able to run reliably, I'm optimistic about the future. I think Lebby will be a solid coach.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I think it's missed by many how much Leach understood that protecting a quality starting QB was important. Will was never going to be an asset running, but Leach didn't much want him taking risks.
Yeah but you handcuffed your offense too

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
We could have had a much worse result today. We have some pretty good skill-players. We made some surprisingly good special team plays. We definitely have a weapon for returning the ball on punts and kickoffs. We are thin on the line on both sides, but we knew that before we started. We know we are thin at quarterback, so somebody needs to teach Sharpen how to slide. I have to say I'm pretty happy with what we put on the field today.

ETA- I forgot that teams usually improve the most between their second and first games.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
DBs in the 4th qtr looked more active. Maybe a little more athleticism in the younger guys?

Reactions: Nugdawg

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
We also know that the Florida game looks a lot more winnable now than it did 6 hours ago.
Don’t know if winnable is the right word, but I’ll throw TAMU game into more competitive game category after today too

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login