I want Dan back

Other Kind

Oct 15, 2022
I will welcome him back with wide open arms. I just want a ppt deck on his lessons learned and an understanding that Hevesy isn’t coming back. #Dancomehome

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The longer he sits in the booth the more he isn't coming back to coaching again. I think he has enjoyed not coaching still getting paid and he can go and come for his kids events.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I realize it’s probably not happening but I have talked myself into it if for nothing more than the entertainment value of our fans reliving the same meltdowns we all had a decade ago
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times? (But not really on the last part)

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times? (But not really on the last part)

I loved the fact that our record going into every season was super easy to predict.

I also hated the fact that our record going into every season was super easy to predict.

Also, it’s been six years since we called a 3rd and 15 QB Draw…. Maybe that’s where we went wrong***

patdog

May 28, 2007
Nope. If you thought he was disengaged at times the last few years last time, that's nothing compared to if he came back with a $12,000,000 buyout in his bank account.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I loved the fact that our record going into every season was super easy to predict.

I also hated the fact that our record going into every season was super easy to predict.

Also, it’s been six years since we called a 3rd and 15 QB Draw…. Maybe that’s where we went wrong***
Hey if you got dak though running a draw....

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
No way. He singlehandedly lost 3 EB’s by being unprepared due to shopping for jobs. That ship has sailed.
I hate to break it to people but ole miss had the number one scoring defense in 14 and 15 there was better than ours. Our offense couldn't move the ball. They were good. Had nothing to do with him shopping jobs. This has be sold so hard but their defense was good those two years and stopped us. Collins was job shopping in 14 too so defense was out in 14 in that game.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
The thing about Dan I really liked was he didn't try to fit a squar into a round hole. He took his roster and set up his offense around it until he got the guys he wanted.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I'll be the first to admit that Dan did many great things for the program, but I don't like how he handled things just before he left. Mostly it was for me, at least the way he handled things. I'm not talking about how he left to take the Florida job. I'm talking about back in November 2014 when he pretty much checked out of being our Head coach full-time. He would talk to a great game, but he wasn't acting and working like our head coach as a full-time job, as much as he was trying to work on his résumé and send out feelers on new jobs every day. He was and is a good coach. He knows how to coach and create his own successful offense, and more importantly, at least for us, he knows how to build our program, but it would just be too much like Polk II for me, and that was craptastic enough the first time.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I'll be the first to admit that Dan did many great things for the program, but I don't like how he handled things just before he left. Mostly it was for me, at least the way he handled things. I'm not talking about how he left to take the Florida job. I'm talking about back in November 2014 when he pretty much checked out of being our Head coach full-time. He would talk to a great game, but he wasn't acting and working like our head coach as a full-time job, as much as he was trying to work on his résumé and send out feelers on new jobs every day. He was and is a good coach. He knows how to coach and create his own successful offense, and more importantly, at least for us, he knows how to build our program, but it would just be too much like Polk II for me, and that was craptastic enough the first time.
I think he really checked out after 2015. But he kinda had 3 cycles, he was all fired up in 2009 and 2010, checked out and started getting all ornery in 2011-2012. Got fired up again in 2013 and peaked with Dak in 2014 and 2015. Checked out and got angry in 2016 then started getting fired up again, but this time, his motivation was to get out once and for all. That's why he stacked those JUCO recruits in 2017 on top of a lot of returning starters. He executed his plan perfectly, but he really should have done it after 2018 and gotten out of the SEC.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I hope Selmon has already contacted him. I think he would take the job. His kids were born in Starkville. He would become our all-time winingest coach after one season and our Athletic Department would erect a statue to immortalize him at Davis Wade. I'm sure we even have some fans that would want Jackie rehired.

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
I hate to break it to people but ole miss had the number one scoring defense in 14 and 15 there was better than ours. Our offense couldn't move the ball. They were good. Had nothing to do with him shopping jobs. This has be sold so hard but their defense was good those two years and stopped us. Collins was job shopping in 14 too so defense was out in 14 in that game.
2014 was more about our blue collar 3 star Oline getting manhandled. 2015 ole miss is probably the best team they’ve ever had.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
But who isn’t looking for a better job???***

It wasn't just that we lost, we were completely unprepared for 2 or 3 of those EB's, both emotionally and on the field. You must have forgotten that, in 2015, we quickly fell behind in that game, 28-3. Then, in 2017, he was known to have been texting the Tennessee AD during the EB game, and we fell behind at one point in that game, 31-13, to a bad OM team we were favored over by 17 points. The guy was a traitor and should never be welcomed on campus again.

Reactions: WilCoDawg

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It wasn't just that we lost, we were completely unprepared for 2 or 3 of those EB's, both emotionally and on the field. You must have forgotten that, in 2015, we quickly fell behind in that game, 28-3. Then, in 2017, he was known to have been texting the Tennessee AD during the EB game, and we fell behind at one point in that game, 31-13, to a bad OM team we were favored over by 17 points. The guy was a traitor and should never be welcomed on campus again.
You must have forgotten they broke fitz foot. Boo 17'n hoo it's a business. Get over it already. Mullen would be an auto upgrade from most any cosch we could get. No coach in our history prior or after produced that good of a team statically offensively speaking. 2018 was his recruited defense too. The best defense we ever had. Too be a bad recruiter based on stars, he was good at getting the most out of it and putting guys in the nfl better than any of our other coaches.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Because baseball coach rehire equates to the same as hiring another rehire for a football coach?

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
You must have forgotten they broke fitz foot. Boo 17'n hoo it's a business. Get over it already. Mullen would be an auto upgrade from most any cosch we could get. No coach in our history prior or after produced that good of a team statically offensively speaking. 2018 was his recruited defense too. The best defense we ever had. Too be a bad recruiter based on stars, he was good at getting the most out of it and putting guys in the nfl better than any of our other coaches.
On this we agree.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Talk to me about 2017 when we were 14 point favorites at home to shiitbird Matt Puke. And what about 2012 when he got out coached by Freeze in his first Egg Bowl.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Talk to me about 2017 when we were 14 point favorites at home to shiitbird Matt Puke. And what about 2012 when he got out coached by Freeze in his first Egg Bowl.

We were overrated and not very good in 2012. That can definitely be blamed on Dan.

I do think he was checked out in 2017 but to be fair, our QB had his ankle broken on the second series and our true freshman backup turned it over a bunch.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
2017 they broke the starting quarterbacks ankle. If fitz doesn't get hurt we win that game going away easy. They targeted and took him out of the game. 2012 Tyler Russell was an over rated QB not really built for his system. That was his first qb recruit in the first class but not really his type of qb but he did the best he could with him. Perkins was not really an every down back either. That game was 17-17 at the half. They made adjustments and shut us down in The running game. Had nothing to do with us not being prepared or him checking out. If a coach is checked out you start getting blown out in the first quarter.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I don’t think that Dans coaching personality and the current portal set up would work. We would have a constant turnover of players. Even much more so than we already have to deal with.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I think he really checked out after 2015. But he kinda had 3 cycles, he was all fired up in 2009 and 2010, checked out and started getting all ornery in 2011-2012. Got fired up again in 2013 and peaked with Dak in 2014 and 2015. Checked out and got angry in 2016 then started getting fired up again, but this time, his motivation was to get out once and for all. That's why he stacked those JUCO recruits in 2017 on top of a lot of returning starters. He executed his plan perfectly, but he really should have done it after 2018 and gotten out of the SEC.
I’m willing to bet those cycles you mention closely relate to talent level.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Proof, evidence, or a source on texting the Tennessee AD?

and don’t say common knowledge.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's sad how every conversation we have has to center around Ole Miss eventually.

I am almost sure they have said nothing about Mississippi State or even thought about us while planning what they want to do and how they want to do it.

It's not funny anymore we need to worry about Mississippi State and nobody else. I know it's hard for some people to believe but there's a huge world outside of Mississippi. Or even where I'm at in Texas.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I’m not beating the being Dan back drum but I hate this take so much. He assembled what was probably his best roster the year he left to go to Florida. He didn’t check out. Sure he was always listening to jobs but every coach does. The 2018 team certainly didn’t have the QB that 2014 and 2015 did but I’d probably take everything else about the 2018 roster. I don’t see how that equates to him “checking out”.

But with that said, it does not seem like a part 2 works all that all often. Plus im not sure Dan is the best coach for this NIL/transfer portal era. Dan’s best attribute was developing players. Not sure this is the best era to be a developmental program.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I’m not beating the being Dan back drum but I hate this take so much. He assembled what was probably his best roster the year he left to go to Florida. He didn’t check out. Sure he was always listening to jobs but every coach does. The 2018 team certainly didn’t have the QB that 2014 and 2015 did but I’d probably take everything else about the 2018 roster. I don’t see how that equates to him “checking out”.

But with that said, it does not seem like a part 2 works all that all often. Plus im not sure Dan is the best coach for this NIL/transfer portal era. Dan’s best attribute was developing players. Not sure this is the best era to be a developmental program.
I would argue that if you don't have the money like the others to buy the better players but better be damn able to develop them. Those that rely on the stars but have no money will be without

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I would argue that if you don't have the money like the others to buy the better players but better be damn able to develop them. Those that rely on the stars but have no money will be without
I could just see a Fred Ross jumping ship for Texas or Josh Robinson and Dak to LSU or bear Wilson to Bama. Some of these grinders that Mullen developed might jump ship once the home school state comes calling. Probably me just assuming the worse.

Reactions: bulldoghair

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I could just see a Fred Ross jumping ship for Texas or Josh Robinson and Dak to LSU or bear Wilson to Bama. Some of these grinders that Mullen developed might jump ship once the home school state comes calling. Probably me just assuming the worse.
yea, you are correct. in this day and age of NIL $$$, it’s tough being a developmental program, when Georgia, Auburn, Texas etc.. will just be able to cherry pick your better players you discovered and then developed because you can’t match their $$$ bids.

Reactions: bulldoghair
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login