I want Dan back

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I’m not beating the being Dan back drum but I hate this take so much. He assembled what was probably his best roster the year he left to go to Florida. He didn’t check out. Sure he was always listening to jobs but every coach does. The 2018 team certainly didn’t have the QB that 2014 and 2015 did but I’d probably take everything else about the 2018 roster. I don’t see how that equates to him “checking out”.

But with that said, it does not seem like a part 2 works all that all often. Plus im not sure Dan is the best coach for this NIL/transfer portal era. Dan’s best attribute was developing players. Not sure this is the best era to be a developmental program.
i didn't say he had a problem team building. He quit coaching.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
yea, you are correct. in this day and age of NIL $$$, it’s tough being a developmental program, when Georgia, Auburn, Texas etc.. will just be able to cherry pick your better players you discovered and then developed because you can’t match their $$$ bids.
I think that is going to happen no matter who is the coach. No matter how many stars we sign. They come here and perform we will loose 3-4 a year unless we are performing at a high level here as a team and they want to stay for that. I would just say develop and win. Even the stars we sign might leave if offered so you better have someone that can develop the guys on your roster that haven't been seen yet.

Reactions: blitz2Win

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
I think that is going to happen no matter who is the coach. No matter how many stars we sign. They come here and perform we will loose 3-4 a year unless we are performing at a high level here as a team and they want to stay for that. I would just say develop and win. Even the stars we sign might leave if offered so you better have someone that can develop the guys on your roster that haven't been seen yet.
Well right now the staff not only can’t identify talent, they can’t coach them up.

you need a guy who can spot diamonds in the rough and coach them up. Leach And Dan both were similar in that regard.

Last edited:

dawgoneyall

Nov 11, 2007
I will welcome him back with wide open arms. I just want a ppt deck on his lessons learned and an understanding that Hevesy isn’t coming back. #Dancomehome
Never....mullens never cared about MSU...never.
Most coaches are hired guns but develop some feeling for the school they coach....mullins never cared. That is why he quit on us the last part of the last three season.
We need to get a better coach than we have now with a little (lot) more character than mullens will ever have

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
The thing about Dan I really liked was he didn't try to fit a squar into a round hole. He took his roster and set up his offense around it until he got the guys he wanted.
It seems like the guys who have failed here in my lifetime, Croom, Morehead, and Arnett have done the exact opposite.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I hope Selmon has already contacted him. I think he would take the job. His kids were born in Starkville. He would become our all-time winingest coach after one season and our Athletic Department would erect a statue to immortalize him at Davis Wade. I'm sure we even have some fans that would want Jackie rehired.
Jackie was a much better coach than Dan.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I hate to break it to people but ole miss had the number one scoring defense in 14 and 15 there was better than ours. Our offense couldn't move the ball. They were good. Had nothing to do with him shopping jobs. This has be sold so hard but their defense was good those two years and stopped us. Collins was job shopping in 14 too so defense was out in 14 in that game.
I guess we're not supposed to believe what we saw with our own eyes.

That game was a derp fest, like most egg bowls. We were uninspired and sleep walking from the jump. The game was there for the taking. They weren't better than us that year.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Proof, evidence, or a source on texting the Tennessee AD?

and don’t say common knowledge.
Well, it is common knowledge. A journalist wrote a story with actual texts from UT AD Currie and Mullen a few years ago.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
I hate to break it to people but ole miss had the number one scoring defense in 14 and 15 there was better than ours. Our offense couldn't move the ball. They were good. Had nothing to do with him shopping jobs. This has be sold so hard but their defense was good those two years and stopped us. Collins was job shopping in 14 too so defense was out in 14 in that game.
It sucks but UM was damn good both of those years.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Here is the FACT about Mullen, he was the ONLY coach since 1955 that we didn't run off. He is the ONLY one in that time frame we didn't run off because he was losing other than Bob Tyler. I'd take him back NOW. Some of y'all have a distorted view of what we actually are. Mullen just FIT at MSU. His offense jibed with the kind of players we actually can get on that side of the ball.....same on defense. It still boggles my mind that we had "fans" that wanted him gone:

Reactions: GomJabbar

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It's sad how every conversation we have has to center around Ole Miss eventually.

I am almost sure they have said nothing about Mississippi State or even thought about us while planning what they want to do and how they want to do it.

It's not funny anymore we need to worry about Mississippi State and nobody else. I know it's hard for some people to believe but there's a huge world outside of Mississippi. Or even where I'm at in Texas.
You have been removed from it for many years: The rivalry MATTERS to those of us who LIVE here. It matters more than anything when it comes to college sports.....it MATTERS.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The game before the 2014 Egg Bowl, OM lost to Arkansas 30-0. The game after the Egg Bowl, OM lost to TCU 42-3. In between those games they kicked our arse. Most disappointing Egg Bowl loss ever because of what the stakes were. We let one legged Bo Wallace whip our arse with a potential playoff spot on the line.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You have been removed from it for many years: The rivalry MATTERS to those of us who LIVE here. It matters more than anything when it comes to college sports.....it MATTERS.
You are right. I am removed from it. If you all want to beat Ole Miss and be the king of Mississippi, then do it. I thought we had a different measuring stick and wanted more, but build yourself to be better than Mississippi.

I didn't care about them when I lived in Mississippi for 40+ years, either. I thought they were opinionated ******** that were convinced Western Civilization originated in Oxford and I was more than glad to let them continue to do so.

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
Well, it is common knowledge. A journalist wrote a story with actual texts from UT AD Currie and Mullen a few years ago.
It wasn’t during the game it was during the entire week. Here’s the short story:
When Loafers struck out that Tuesday on Chip Kelly to UF, he moved on Mullen. Apparently Currie already had the contract drawn up and UT was preparing to send the plane on Saturday to pick Dan and the family up… but Dan ghosted Currie. Currie kept texting him and calling him Friday Dan didn’t answer. That Monday he agreed to become UF coach.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
It shoudlnt matter in the sense that some people would rather go 6-6 and beat them than 8-4 and lose to them.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It shoudlnt matter in the sense that some people would rather go 6-6 and beat them than 8-4 and lose to them.
I would rather go 6-6 and beat them than go 8-4 and lose to them. That game matters to me. It's the only individual game that does, at least like that. What I RATHER do is go 12-0 and beat them.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I would rather go 6-6 and beat them than go 8-4 and lose to them. That game matters to me. It's the only individual game that does, at least like that. What I RATHER do is go 12-0 and beat them.
It doesn’t matter what matters to you.

what matters is what is best for Mississippi state.

and some of you don’t care about that. You just care about what you think is right or what you want.

Aug 31, 2012
It wasn't just that we lost, we were completely unprepared for 2 or 3 of those EB's, both emotionally and on the field. You must have forgotten that, in 2015, we quickly fell behind in that game, 28-3. Then, in 2017, he was known to have been texting the Tennessee AD during the EB game, and we fell behind at one point in that game, 31-13, to a bad OM team we were favored over by 17 points. The guy was a traitor and should never be welcomed on campus again.
Just curious here..
How was it known/ confirmed he was texting UT during EB gane

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
It doesn’t matter what matters to you.

what matters is what is best for Mississippi state.

and some of you don’t care about that. You just care about what you think is right or what you want.
Going 6-6 and beating Ole Miss is better for MSU than going 8-4 and losing to Ole Miss. You know that of course, but you will never admit it.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Going 6-6 and beating Ole Miss is better for MSU than going 8-4 and losing to Ole Miss. You know that of course, but you will never admit it.
Actually I know the opposite to be true but I dont expect you to be smart enough to figure it out.

8-4 is a better bowl
Better bowl is more moneh
More national recognition which is more money

from a national perspective people are gonna be way more likely to remember that Mississippi state has average 8 wins over the last 10 years vs going 3-7 or 4-6 against ole Miss .

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Actually I know the opposite to be true but I dont expect you to be smart enough to figure it out.

8-4 is a better bowl
Better bowl is more moneh
More national recognition which is more money

from a national perspective people are gonna be way more likely to remember that Mississippi state has average 8 wins over the last 10 years vs going 3-7 or 4-6 against ole Miss .
People outside the state will remember 8-4 at MSU no more than they will 6-6. INSIDE THE STATE, which will always be our primary recruiting ground, if you go 6-6 and beat UM you have more excitement over the program and more momentum than losing that last game at 8-4. Going to a better bowl actually doesn't mean that much more money.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
People outside the state will remember 8-4 at MSU no more than they will 6-6. INSIDE THE STATE, which will always be our primary recruiting ground, if you go 6-6 and beat UM you have more excitement over the program and more momentum than losing that last game at 8-4. Going to a better bowl actually doesn't mean that much more money.
Winning or losing to ole Miss doesn’t have that much affect on recruiting.

Luckily high school football players aren’t as emotional as many of our fans.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Winning or losing to ole Miss doesn’t have that much affect on recruiting.

Luckily high school football players aren’t as emotional as many of our fans.
Yes it does......but not always the next year. Im still laughing about you thinking that people outside Mississippi remember if we are 8-4 or 6-6.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Yes it does......but not always the next year. Im still laughing about you thinking that people outside Mississippi remember if we are 8-4 or 6-6.
I’m still laughing about you being able to read and comprehend.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I’m still laughing about you being able to read and comprehend.
I'm afraid you're not gonna change his mind. Of course it is a matter to 2.9 million people and what the other 330 million think doesn't matter. The way it is and I guess that's the way it's always going to be.

Omahaorbust

Jun 8, 2016
I will welcome him back with wide open arms. I just want a ppt deck on his lessons learned and an understanding that Hevesy isn’t coming back. #Dancomehome
If a part of you doesn’t want Mullen back, you may need a lobotomy. He was an a$$ but he was OUR a$$. It’s a long shot but bring Dan home if at all possible.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login