I wish I could be a Gamecock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 15, 2009

That is all I could make it through; the first 8 minutes, and trust me, LSU's size, speed, or star rankings do not matter a bit, when no one blocks them, or attempts to. We are the bad news bears. Just watch 8 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: josebrown

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Matt definitely puts it out there visually and very plain for everyone to see. You didn’t need that though. A couple things going on here… 1) they are not being coached now to do things or 2) they are being coached and are not grasping it…

I suspect it’s a little if both. But when you’re installing a new system you have to expect there will be a learning curve and part of your job as a coach is to know what your team can execute. That to me has been the fundamental problem with the offense. If there is something we can execute well, then we need to just do that. The OC does not seem to know what we can or can’t do.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Matt definitely puts it out there visually and very plain for everyone to see. You didn’t need that though. A couple things going on here… 1) they are not being coached now to do things or 2) they are being coached and are not grasping it…

I suspect it’s a little if both. But when you’re installing a new system you have to expect there will be a learning curve and part of your job as a coach is to know what your team can execute. That to me has been the fundamental problem with the offense. If there is something we can execute well, then we need to just do that. The OC does not seem to know what we can or can’t do.
the Use of the tight ends is strange. they aren’t involved in the passing game and the best personnel would indicate you would get your wide receivers on the field or run more 10 personnel.

Reactions: wdawg44

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
This offense reminds me of Moorhead’s so far. It’s slow developing and a lot of mistakes.

But our OL / TE’s are just getting their asses kicked. There’s LSU players beating double teams all throughout these clips. This reminds me of 2020 when 5 couldn’t block 3 at times.

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
That is all I could make it through; the first 8 minutes, and trust me, LSU's size, speed, or star rankings do not matter a bit, when no one blocks them, or attempts to. We are the bad news bears. Just watch 8 minutes.

I couldn't get to 5 minutes. It really just blows my mind that we have an O line chock full of 4th and 5th year guys, yet they can't even get through the first series without completely blowing blocking assignments on consecutive plays. I don't know that there's anything more infuriating than watching guys line up where we have 2 blockers in place to block one, yet both decide to let him blow by. The defender that has the best angle on the field to get to Rogers, no less

I've already said that I'm not going to lose my mind over an early season loss to LSU. Been there, done that too many time. That said, this team has all the signs, and I mean ALL the signs of a very poorly coached football team. How the coaches either failed to pick up on these issues throughout the entire summer or they saw them and stuck with this cluster17 is beyond me

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
It's honestly like this game was the first day of training camp and guys just randomly lined up.

In those days the Bulldogs had no coach; all the players did whatever seemed right in their own eyes. - Judges 17:6

1695315698526.png

Last edited:

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
This offense reminds me of Moorhead’s so far. It’s slow developing and a lot of mistakes.

But our OL / TE’s are just getting their asses kicked. There’s LSU players beating double teams all throughout these clips. This reminds me of 2020 when 5 couldn’t block 3 at times.
I’d like for you to specifically point out 2 or 3 plays where lsu is whipping our oline in the first 8 mins.

You can’t and won’t so I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: CoastRat.sixpack

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
one can already guess that USCe defensive line will shift and they will disguise blitzes from the linebackers and corners

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I couldn't get to 5 minutes. It really just blows my mind that we have an O line chock full of 4th and 5th year guys, yet they can't even get through the first series without completely blowing blocking assignments on consecutive plays. I don't know that there's anything more infuriating than watching guys line up where we have 2 blockers in place to block one, yet both decide to let him blow by. The defender that has the best angle on the field to get to Rogers, no less

I've already said that I'm not going to lose my mind over an early season loss to LSU. Been there, done that too many time. That said, this team has all the signs, and I mean ALL the signs of a very poorly coached football team. How the coaches either failed to pick up on these issues throughout the entire summer or they saw them and stuck with this cluster17 is beyond me

In the coaches defense, in practice the offensive line probably looked good pass blocking against our pass rush.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022

Its pretty naive to think the talent gap has nothing to do with the mental mistakes. Just because this is the first time we’ve got detailed YouTube film analysis doesn’t mean its the first time we’ve had a slew of mental issues against a blueblood team that beats us every year. Teams that are vastly overwhelmed athletically are far more prone to mental errors and pressing.

The reverse is also true. Watch the film review and check LSU’s 3rd and long conversion where Daniels hits the wide open RB for like a 20 yard gain. We have the perfect playcall on defense, pinching both edges with spy linebackers. Daniels misses the primary read underneath, who was open but a bit short of the sticks. He gets happy feet, wants to run, but can’t because he’s sealed off on both sides by the LB’s. The RB who is supposed to stay in for protection and should have picked up one of the 2 edge LB’s gets confused and just takes off down the field. So, LSU offense makes not one but two assignment errors on a 3rd and 10. But because they have a mobile QB who doesn’t allow the immediate collapse of the LB’s, they get more time, and they get a 20 yard gain from a player who shouldn’t have even been a receiver on the play, instead of a 10 yard gain had the play gone perfectly. Flip the entire thing and have Will Rogers and our offense running that play….it’s a 10 yard loss because as soon as the primary read breaks down the 2 LB’s just crash down because there is zero respect for his running ability. That’s a talent gap on full display.

Another example. The first corner TD to Nabors was underthrown. Against a better CB who doesn’t get beat from the get go, its an interception if the CB just stays with him and turns around. Instead, Nabors beats Nichols and forces him to make up ground without being able to turn around and see the throw. A would-be INT becomes an easy TD. MSU hasn’t had a WR in nearly 30 years with the size and athleticism to beat an above average SEC CB on that route. LSU has 3 or 4 of those guys every year.

We make a mistake on offense, its a negative play or a turnover. When LSU makes a mistake, its still a huge play because of how much their talent makes up for missed assignments, reads, or execution. That’s MSU vs. LSU in a nutshell.

Reactions: PhredPhantom

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
Don’t you think if we were better coached the game would have been more competitive ?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Don’t you think if we were better coached the game would have been more competitive ?
Don’t you think if LSU had been better coached, it would have been even worse?

Both teams made mistakes. Its college football, that’s what happens with limited practice times that you have vs. NFL. We paid dearly for ours, as you would expect. LSU did not, and in some cases even came out ahead for them.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Obviously our offensive linemen are not great at pulling......or blocking the right guy for that matter. They probably need to work on that at some point this season.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I’d like for you to specifically point out 2 or 3 plays where lsu is whipping our oline in the first 8 mins.

You can’t and won’t so I won’t hold my breath.
Is this sarcasm?

Play 1 might be a miscommunication where Dollar Bill pulls the wrong way. It doesn’t even matter because Woody doesn’t make it to the unblocked LB. The LSU DL that makes the TFL just blows through Losoylla.

Play 2 is a max protect where we leave someone unblocked. Even our backside double team gets beat. It’s just the free rusher gets all the attention. Truly awful.

Play 4 is a TE / OT double team just getting totally whipped. Marks doesn’t pick him up either, because he’s assuming the double team will hold. We have 3 people assigned to this DL and none of them block him.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Is this sarcasm?

Play 1 might be a miscommunication where Dollar Bill pulls the wrong way. It doesn’t even matter because Woody doesn’t make it to the unblocked LB. The LSU DL that makes the TFL just blows through Losoylla.

Play 2 is a max protect where we leave someone unblocked. Even our backside double team gets beat. It’s just the free rusher gets all the attention. Truly awful.

Play 4 is a TE / OT double team just getting totally whipped. Marks doesn’t pick him up either, because he’s assuming the double team will hold. We have 3 people assigned to this DL and none of them block him.
Except in play one the linebacker number 40 makes the play?

wanna bet $100?

play 2 the guy who ruined the play wasn’t touched. We might not have man handled the rest but we didn’t get man handled.

Yeah I stopped reading after that.

Attachments

• IMG_5544.jpeg
    IMG_5544.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login