If 80% of the board picks us to lose Saturday, and we instead win on the road, will the board melt down again?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Auburn offense sucks. This could be one of those weeks a team lets another team beat them twice. They were up for Ole Miss can they get up for State this week or will they be down mentally. I think State wins and it will be another ugly low scoring win.
This is the problem. The only way this team can beat people, much like Croom's teams, was if they beat themselves, have a bad game, suffering from schedule grind, etc. It's kinda fun in the moment but long-term it's not a good thing, eventually it bites your a$$. THAT is why so many of us can't enjoy the win this weekend, because we are getting no closer to competing in the SEC. Any truly good team just steamrolls us.

There are signs of life though. Seems Arnett may be learning some things. Croom NEVER learned anything, so there's that.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Look anybody that truly knows football can plainly see that getting Will off the field created a major offensive turnaround. Now we aren't turning the ball over and having constant 3 and outs. At the same time having Mike play QB caused the defense to play at a whole other level. He improved our DB play drastically plus our pass rush. These things have now turned the season completely around. Arnett is a genius coach and Barbay is masterful with his Xs and Os. Brock should probly win assistant coach of the year for the way the D stood up. We need to go ahead and extend all of our coaches before they get poached. Is that the correct narrative ? ***********************

• Haha
Reactions: Ibdancin

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
This is the problem. The only way this team can beat people, much like Croom's teams, was if they beat themselves, have a bad game, suffering from schedule grind, etc. It's kinda fun in the moment but long-term it's not a good thing, eventually it bites your a$$. THAT is why so many of us can't enjoy the win this weekend, because we are getting no closer to competing in the SEC. Any truly good team just steamrolls us.

There are signs of life though. Seems Arnett may be learning some things. Croom NEVER learned anything, so there's that.
I really hope he turns it around. I am not really going to be happy with a six-win season. I will take it. I don't think a 6-win season will save his job. If it is an ugly six-win season with no out, look of getting better he's probably gone. Selmon is a football guy and I imagine he wants a bigger AD job at a bigger school and is going to want his own guy in there. Just my opinion.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I really hope he turns it around. I am not really going to be happy with a six-win season. I will take it. I don't think a 6-win season will save his job. If it is an ugly six-win season with no out, look of getting better he's probably gone. Selmon is a football guy and I imagine he wants a bigger AD job at a bigger school and is going to want his own guy in there. Just my opinion.
Problem is, next year is looking like 3-9, without us finding some magic in a hat somewhere.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
“Every win we get can be legitimately explained away by the other team’s lack of effort” is about the saddest statement I’ve ever heard. Be miserable when we lose, be miserable after we win because we really didn’t deserve it. It was only because the other team didn’t care. Wow.
Welcome to MSU fandom. The last time teams got up to play us was 2014. We’ve been an after thought since. Reality.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Welcome to MSU fandom. The last time teams got up to play us was 2014. We’ve been an after thought since. Reality.
I remember the first time Alabama had gotten 'up' to play in years - 2012 we believe. Absolutely dirt rolled us.

They also were up in 1999, when we were solidly better than them. Not a beating, but a solid win for them.

Same with Auburn, they were up to play us in 2011 when we were better, and they essentially dirt-rolled us offensively. Then they blew us out in 2017.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
be miserable after we win because we really didn’t deserve it. It was only because the other team didn’t care. Wow.

Were you happy Saturday, that we won because of a stupid penalty on us? We didn't "deserve" to but we did.

Were you happy because we handed off to a walking wounded RB on a critical 3rd & 3 to seal the win and to the wrong side of the line should we not get it to help out our FG kicker? We didn't "deserve" to get that 1st down or make that FG.

Were you happy we were in the shotgun formation on 4th and less than 1 yard and the only reason their recovery and TD didn't count was because of our penalty that couldn't be refused? We didn't deserve to get that 1st down.

A "W" is a "W" but we didn't "deserve" a W Saturday and forgive me for not being "happy" about it.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
that wasn't good defense Saturday, it was 2 dog shìt offensive teams dry humping air.

That was like watching my wife trying to change the windshield wipers in a pair of mittens. It was 17ing hopeless.
Blown Away Wow GIF by CBS

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Regardless of who the coach is it is going to be tough. I hope they can pull some guys out of the portal.
Not true at all. A good coach can make a turn around easy. But if we wait until next year, we are going to give the new HC a big and deep hole to dig out of.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Not true at all. A good coach can make a turn around easy. But if we wait until next year, we are going to give the new HC a big and deep hole to dig out of.
It is a tough schedule. Got some good home games.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
It is a tough schedule. Got some good home games.
It's the SEC. It will always be tough.

That is why the offensive system is so important. We need to be a place that a good to great QB wants to come to and be show cased. WRs too. The issue is what we are doing right now does not do that.

You put Longo or many others out there, and we would look very different in recruiting than we are now.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
It's the SEC. It will always be tough.

That is why the offensive system is so important. We need to be a place that a good to great QB wants to come to and be show cased. WRs too. The issue is what we are doing right now does not do that.

You put Longo or many others out there, and we would look very different in recruiting than we are now.
It could be a 6 and 6 season next season if teams on the schedule are the same next season as they are this one. On the road in Texas, GA and Tenn might be pretty rough. Out of conference games should be wins. Then it comes down to the teams that sometimes are good and sometime not so good.

2024 Mississippi State Football Schedule | FBSchedules.com

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022
You only say they quit cause we beat them. They didn’t quit when they almost won at Alabama or almost won at LSU. It’s just a 17ing excuse to try to make our win not look as good. God, Mississippi State fans are the most miserable 17s on the planet.
Its interesting you say this. I was talking with someone about the 2015 game in Fayetteville where we won on a blocked field goal. After the block kick, the camera showed a shot from the Mississippi State section and you could clearly see some people fighting in the stands. That led to a discussion about fights at ballgames in general. I have been to a bunch of football games and have only once come close to getting into a tussle with another fan - in Baton Rouge in 2014. Ironically, he was State fan from Winston County. Noxapater, probably. Go figure.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
The thing about next year isn't the schedule it's the fact that we graduate about 80% of our starters. We are gonna be young so hitting in the portal is critical. Would you rather go ahead and change coaches now going into a year with young/new players or give this staff another year and then make the change ?? Or do you think they can get it right ? Hit on some talented portal guys and recruits and solve our obvious problems ? I do not but I might be wrong

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Or maybe a lot on this board remember the Pyrrhic victories of 2007 and aren’t excited about having to endure 2008 again.
So instead, you’d rather endure a 2008ish season in 2023….right now….and then do it aGAIN in 2024, no matter who the coach is?

I’ll never understand why fans follow their real life team like they are playing NCAA Football on Playstation in Dynasty Mode. We’ve got about 11 months before we even have to start worrying about a 2008 type season in 2024.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Or maybe a lot on this board remember the Pyrrhic victories of 2007 and aren’t excited about having to endure 2008 again.
And maybe some of us know the people comparing 1 year to croom are imbeciles.

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
The thing about next year isn't the schedule it's the fact that we graduate about 80% of our starters. We are gonna be young so hitting in the portal is critical. Would you rather go ahead and change coaches now going into a year with young/new players or give this staff another year and then make the change ?? Or do you think they can get it right ? Hit on some talented portal guys and recruits and solve our obvious problems ? I do not but I might be wrong
Well this staffs batting average in the portal is about 0.0, the previous staff batted about .950 in the portal. So, no I don’t want this staff replacing 80% of the roster with Goedes and Raydars.

Bring in a professional, experienced HC and staff that can evaluate talent and work the portal.

Reactions: Ibdancin

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That’s why I was saying that Arnett is done. Completely. He could turn into Saban/Riley/Smart combined over these next 5 games and continue that in 2024. It wouldn’t matter. Not only do we have to win every SEC road game where we are dogs but we have to win with style to satisfy the fanbase.

It’s over for Arnett and nothing can change that. Everyone and I mean everyone should be on the fence about Arnett. It seems like those that are on the fence (like me) are in the extreme minority. Everyone else (especially the casual fan who wants Will Rogers to finger bang their wife, we know he can’t take it deep), hates Arnett.
Excellent post. I’m another person on the very much on the fence regarding his future. We both might as well be climbing in the sack with him in the eyes of most on this board, though.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Arnett allowed the people around him to cause him to make very bad decisions. The first was a drastic change of the offense( something he sold the fan base on by saying he wasn't going to do.... then proceeded to do it). That in itself makes me question his ability to actually LEAD.
This is nonsense. Sold the fanbase? When was the press conference when he said the offense was never changing the offense? The offense had to change. The only guy on planet earth that ever ran it like we did for the past 3 years 17ing died.

Were you this anti-Arnett when he was courting Kendall Briles?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
If the D continues to play like they did against Arkansas and we win a couple more games and don't look terrible the rest of the year I'm good with giving them another year. I don't like changing coaches but so far imo they have looked incompetent. And honestly not so much Barbay. Moreso Arnett Friend McBath etc

Bulldawg77

Dec 1, 2019
I think some on here are like me in that we're hoping that what we are seeing growing pains of a young staff and new offensive scheme and that we will see improvement each week on both sides of the ball as well as special teams. That would give us hope that we are building a strong program. Admittedly, I don't think this is what we are seeing but there's plenty of time to let the season play out and support the coaches and players in the meantime.
I have seen this narrative about a young staff. Other than Za Brock and Bump this staff is pretty experienced and still can’t coach. Not sure why people are saying we have a young staff.

Reactions: blitz2Win

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
I have seen this narrative about a young staff. Other than Za Brock and Bump this staff is pretty experienced and still can’t coach. Not sure why people are saying we have a young staff.

Yeah, poor wording on my part. Better wording would be to change my "young staff" to "inexperienced head coach."

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Arkansas folded last week and fired their OC. I think AU eats up our offense this week but their offense is pitiful, so probably need the defense to gets scores or turnovers to set up scores. Auburn isn't good. Give me a win every week. I think we lose though.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login