If Arnett is successful-we might not be a stepping stone…

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Things can always change but the story on Arnett has always been that he loves Starkville and sees it as an awesome place to raise his kids. You’d never know that his entire football career until 2020 had been in Albuquerque and San Diego because he fits MSU/Starkville like a glove.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
$3m a year will do that.
I was going to post the same thought. $12M guaranteed. He does sound like a “good ole boy” though. Cows, chickens, tractors - he might as well be one of my uncles up in Benndale. Seems like I’ve olso heard him say that he and his wife like raising thier kids in a small town environment.

Of course the ball is in court now. If he goes 6-6 next year, they might not like small town living as much. I think he is awesome and I hope he kills it…

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Thats awesome.

If he wins 10 games next year, he gone.

I'm exaggerating, but career advancement and money will win out no matter how much he loves it here. see, Stricklin.
I'll be fine if he just likes it enough to not leave for anything less than a true blue blood (or A&M, which is sort of in a class by itself as far as having all the money and commitment to be a blue blood but repeatedly 17 it up). I just don't want a coach that would consider leaving for a place like Auburn or UTenn. If Texas, Bama, UGA, OSU, or A&M make him a godfather offer, then whatever.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I like Arnett. I really want him to succeed as a head coach. I just hope it works out
I'm intrigued by this whole thing. Ever since Mullen topped out at 10-2 without a REAL shot at the SEC/playoff, I've been wondering if a defensive guy was the true key to MSU 'high-level' success. I think we all knew after Croom that we had to have some offense. But at that point we just wanted to get out of 3-9 territory.

Lot of way to skin a cat. But when I look back at all our best seasons, it generally involves a good defense. Mississippi produces a ton of defensive players. So it's simple to me, maximize your strengths and minimize weaknesses. Keep a strong defense. Keep a weird offense. Again, you can do this with an offensive coach or defensive coach. So for Arnett it's all about his 'plan' on offense. If he tries to be conservative like Muschamp/Odom/etc., he will suck. He's got to turn it over and we've got to do something different, even if we have to roll through multiple OCs. That's why it's important to have a plan. He needs to call up Dave Bartoo.

All this is predicated on us keeping our recruiting at a level that our offense doesn't suck so bad we slip into 3-9 territory. Because at that point, defense is meaningless. Your program has to be at a certain level for this to work.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Hopefully he has success and becomes our Frank Beamer.
I'd love to believe that I won't allow myself. After Mullen and Vic, NOPE.

Vic had a national title caliber program here, and was building a house, and actually liked it here. Still left. Let that sink in.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
After year 1 he applied for every job opening in the country. Leach encouraged his assistants to see what was available to them. No clue if he was actively trying to leave or just looking. I’m hoping he is successful and here a long time, but that sounds like exactly what he would say if he was trying to convince recruits he’ll be here a long time whether he meant it or not.

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I'd love to believe that I won't allow myself. After Mullen and Vic, NOPE.

Vic had a national title caliber program here, and was building a house, and actually liked it here. Still left. Let that sink in.
Well VIc had a locker room that was a disaster ..he had lost the team. what he had was not a championship team but a collection of good individual players ...but TEAm building was not going on when it all blew up.....

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
“I can’t even begin to put into words how this University has changed the lives of myself and my family,” Arnett said. “I will forever be indebted to this institution.”
I loved his response about who would call the offense. He said Spurrier mainly because someone has to be ready if he gets tossed from the game for arguing with the refs.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Well VIc had a locker room that was a disaster ..he had lost the team. what he had was not a championship team but a collection of good individual players ...but TEAm building was not going on when it all blew up.....
I musta been off the grid during Vic's "collapse".

Reactions: DogStuckAtUM

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
There is a lot to the Vic leaving. A tangled web of woke transgender teenagers, divas in the locker room, and an inappropraiate relationship between a player and an assistant coach. That storm started brewing when Notre Dame hit that shot. The fact that he took that particular follow up team to the Elite 8 is one of the greatest coaching jobs in history. You see how it blew up the next year.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Ok. I'm well aware of the inappropriate relationship and the divas in the locker room. But WHAT in Sam Hill is this about woke transgender teenagers?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
There is a lot to the Vic leaving. A tangled web of woke transgender teenagers, divas in the locker room, and an inappropraiate relationship between a player and an assistant coach. That storm started brewing when Notre Dame hit that shot. The fact that he took that particular follow up team to the Elite 8 is one of the greatest coaching jobs in history. You see how it blew up the next year.
Lot of what-ifs in State history that really could have changed things in our respective sports:

- What if we don't choke away that 15 point lead to Notre Dame?
- What if that line drive doesn't hit Gene Morgan?
- What if Marcus Bullard doesn't take the bribe in 1996?
- What if we stop Blake Sims on JUST ONE of those 3 third-and-longs in the 4th quarter?

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The OC hire is what will make or break his tenure because we are gonna be salty on D while he’s here. If he can find someone who will use us as a stepping stone, that would be awesome. Would love to have an offense so successful that our OC is fielding calls.
Yup we can't be lazy with it that's for sure. We need some solid play calling experience there.

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
“I can’t even begin to put into words how this University has changed the lives of myself and my family,” Arnett said. “I will forever be indebted to this institution.”
I love his loyalty, but loyalty has to go both ways. If we want him to turn down bigger jobs, we have to make sure he isn’t taking a pay cut to do it.

We all love the idea of him being successful and staying here for a long time. Lets see if we love that idea enough to pony up and let it happen.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
So far, I’m all of his interviews, he is saying the right things and leaving me wanting more ZA!

Oct 31, 2014
Money will never be the issue. Desire to win a NC could be.
The 12-team playoff levels that playing field quite a bit. Only an undefeated State (or other non-blue blood) could make a four-team playoff. However, a one-loss State would make a 12-team playoff most years. My point is that he now has a shot at winning a NC and becoming a legend at State. Like, "Scott Field at Arnett Stadium" type legend.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I hope he is suiccesssful and all, but I'm reminded of a certain coach saying he would only be taken out of a certain town in a pine box - and then took another position THE VERY NEXT DAY.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
Hopefully we have to face this issue in a few years. As State fans we should all know better than to plan for the future.

I had no faith in Leach ever getting us into playoff contention. Why should we think Arnett ever would?

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
The 12-team playoff levels that playing field quite a bit. Only an undefeated State (or other non-blue blood) could make a four-team playoff. However, a one-loss State would make a 12-team playoff most years. My point is that he now has a shot at winning a NC and becoming a legend at State. Like, "Scott Field at Arnett Stadium" type legend.
If he wins a NC it'll be "Scott Field at Davis-Wade Stadium on the beautiful Zack Arnett Campus of Mississippi State University."

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Hopefully we have to face this issue in a few years. As State fans we should all know better than to plan for the future.

I had no faith in Leach ever getting us into playoff contention. Why should we think Arnett ever would?
I think that's a bit harsh considering Leach only got 3 years here with the last 2 delivering back to back .500 SEC Seasons with his final game beating arch rival & ranked OM on the road. Dude was pulling in QB talent the likes never seen at STATE but there was obviously more work and overall talent needed to get us into a playoff but to assume he had no chance to do that is WAY too premature due to the short window of opportunity he had to get a program like ours in that arena. You'll be hard pressed to find a sports journalist who disagrees Arnett was a HC in Waiting prior to his promotion so Enough of the Negative Waves Man.

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I just hope he wins enough that it becomes an issue. If he wins and stays, great. If he wins and leaves, that just means we will have to find a coach that wants to earn millions taking over a winning program.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Lot of what-ifs in State history that really could have changed things in our respective sports:

- What if we don't choke away that 15 point lead to Notre Dame?
- What if that line drive doesn't hit Gene Morgan?
- What if Marcus Bullard doesn't take the bribe in 1996?
- What if we stop Blake Sims on JUST ONE of those 3 third-and-longs in the 4th quarter?
I wonder, could you add this to that list?

If Buckle's was a Bulldog after all and never stepped on Eli's foot against LSU in that critical play at the end of the game, would the Rebz have won the SEC West?

Reactions: drumrcraig

PirateBay

Jan 9, 2020
If he wins a NC it'll be "Scott Field at Davis-Wade Stadium on the beautiful Zack Arnett Campus of Mississippi State University."
Yeah, a football natty gets you literally whatever you want. Make his bare *** the mascot for all I care, I’ll buy shirts.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, a football natty gets you literally whatever you want. Make his bare *** the mascot for all I care, I’ll buy shirts.
He’d be in the hot seat as soon as he only won 9 the next year. “Look at his two year trend!!! We’re doomed”

patdog

May 28, 2007
I just hope he wins enough that it becomes an issue. If he wins and stays, great. If he wins and leaves, that just means we will have to find a coach that wants to earn millions taking over a winning program.
Exactly. Being a stepping stone is way underrated. Only 1 coach has left us for a better job in the last 60 years. He was also the most successful coach we’ve had in the last 60 years. He wasn’t perfect. But I’d take a run like that again.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login